Windows XP: Difficulty configuring static IP.

Hello,

I am using windows xp and have been having difficulty setting static IP addresses for the network interface adapters.

Whenever I set the IP address through the TCP/IP setting and attempt to ping said IP address via the command prompt, the result is always "destination host unreachable".

Now, this computer is completely isolated and not meant to connect to any other network (internet, LAN, WAN, etc), so, I am puzzled as to why I can't even get it to ping itself.

I've tried a loopback test ping (127.0.0.1) and have used the "identify adapter" utility to verify that the Network adapters are at least able to be recognized, however, beyond that, I've got no other signs of life.

What am I doing incorrectly?

On 6/30/2022 at 1:36 AM, Tufi said:

Hello,

I am using windows xp and have been having difficulty setting static IP addresses for the network interface adapters.

Whenever I set the IP address through the TCP/IP setting and attempt to ping said IP address via the command prompt, the result is always "destination host unreachable".

Now, this computer is completely isolated and not meant to connect to any other network (internet, LAN, WAN, etc), so, I am puzzled as to why I can't even get it to ping itself.

I've tried a loopback test ping (127.0.0.1) and have used the "identify adapter" utility to verify that the Network adapters are at least able to be recognized, however, beyond that, I've got no other signs of life.

What am I doing incorrectly?

You said that the computer is completely isolated so I assume you have setup firewall rules and possibly VLANS's elsewhere in the network.

If that is the case the firewall rules would need to allow some items, I am using an EdgeRouter so here is an example Guest network that would provide the functionality you are attempting if using a seperate VLAN.

Guest_In - Default Action Accept

Allow Established / Related - All Protocols - Accept

Drop Private Networks - Desination 192.168.0.0/16 172.16.0.0/12 10.0.0.0/8 - Drop

Drop Invalid Traffic - All Protocols - Drop

Guest_Local - Default Action Drop

Allow DHCP - Destination Port 67 - UDP - Accept

Allow DNS - Destination Address [Your Gateway] Port 53 - TCP & UDP - Accept