Whea Uncorrectable Error

JamesHewitt

I keep getting a super fast Whea Uncorrectable Error BSOD when playing games.

It happens both randomly and if I do something like Alt Tab out of a game.

Tried running Superposition stress test however it didn't replicate the crash, Windows memory check also confirmed no RAM issues so I'm at a bit of a loss.

Also tried reinstalling windows and all drivers.

Any help would be appreciated 

Usually WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR is associated with a hardware failure. This could be an issue with your PSU, GPU, Motherboard, etc.

Just from my experience dealing with this error in the past I'd try a different PSU first but you can try pulling sticks of RAM if you want to test something easier. I wouldn't put my trust in whatever Windows memory check is. Most people use MemTestx86 for memory testing and even then there's no guarantee the memory error will propagate on the first go around. Multiple runs might be required so I'll often just pull a stick at a time and see if the system becomes stable again. Faster. Just as easy.

39 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

Usually WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR is associated with a hardware failure. This could be an issue with your PSU, GPU, Motherboard, etc.

Just from my experience dealing with this error in the past I'd try a different PSU first but you can try pulling sticks of RAM if you want to test something easier. I wouldn't put my trust in whatever Windows memory check is. Most people use MemTestx86 for memory testing and even then there's no guarantee the memory error will propagate on the first go around. Multiple runs might be required so I'll often just pull a stick at a time and see if the system becomes stable again. Faster. Just as easy.

I don't have another PSU at hand unfortunately. 

I will try out the RAM tomorrow and the windows one is the built in version but I can give the other a go as well.

Thanks for the help!

11 minutes ago, JamesHewitt said:

I don't have another PSU at hand unfortunately. 

I will try out the RAM tomorrow and the windows one is the built in version but I can give the other a go as well.

Thanks for the help!

If you're not familiar with it MemTest86 is quite a bit more involved of a process to setup and use but is more reputable.

Still errors on the first go around aren't guaranteed as intermittent memory errors can cause crashes but not be easily diagnosed. That's why having spare hardware around can be useful because just pulling parts and Frankensteing your computer can be faster than going the software route if it's a hardware problem.

14 hours ago, Windows7ge said:

If you're not familiar with it MemTest86 is quite a bit more involved of a process to setup and use but is more reputable.

Still errors on the first go around aren't guaranteed as intermittent memory errors can cause crashes but not be easily diagnosed. That's why having spare hardware around can be useful because just pulling parts and Frankensteing your computer can be faster than going the software route if it's a hardware problem.

About to give it a go.

I just ran Prime95 and Superposition at the same time with no crash however if I run games it still crashes after some time. I am very confused.

2 minutes ago, JamesHewitt said:

About to give it a go.

I just ran Prime95 and Superposition at the same time with no crash however if I run games it still crashes after some time. I am very confused.

I always found that artificial loads are not a perfect representation of stability across the board. One type of workload doesn't cover every workload scenario.

What spare hardware do you have if any? Although the problem could still be any component it sounds like either the GPU or motherboard. RAM is usually just an easy thing to rule out. Did you say if you're running any OCs anywhere? Definitely disable those for testing as they can cause BSODs.

I personally only encountered this error when i had an unstable overclock running.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

9 hours ago, Windows7ge said:

I always found that artificial loads are not a perfect representation of stability across the board. One type of workload doesn't cover every workload scenario.

What spare hardware do you have if any? Although the problem could still be any component it sounds like either the GPU or motherboard. RAM is usually just an easy thing to rule out. Did you say if you're running any OCs anywhere? Definitely disable those for testing as they can cause BSODs.

I do have a spare AMD GPU lying around but that's it.

Ran MemTest and got 0 errors after all passes. 

I also updated BIOS last night and removed all overclocks + XMP profiles, same with GPU.

Only thing I have just noticed however is all the games which have caused a BSOD have been on the same drive so I am wondering if that could be the fault.

9 hours ago, Stahlmann said:

I personally only encountered this error when i had an unstable overclock running.

No overclocks running on any component 

Moved it to a different drive, launched, game crashes but no BSOD, got these errors.

So it's happening on multiple drives therefore i think my motherboard might be dead

Had a look, warranty expired a week ago :)))))

unknown.png

The driver detected a controller error on \Device\RaidPort1.