Looking for a new Motherboard

Go to solution Solved by Poinkachu,
5 minutes ago, heartwurk said:

Hey guys! I am a first time builder so recently I got all the parts for my new build. I bought a used MSI Tomahwak B450 Max and a new AMD Ryzen 5 5600x. When the CPU finally arrived, I started building my computer but when i tried to turn it, it would give me the CPU red light error and there would be no display either. After trying to troubleshoot by replugging all the components and reseating the CPU and the cooler it would still give me the red light. So now I am looking for a new mobo, prolly gonna buy a new one. If you have any suggestions, I would really appreciate it. Would love to keep it under $100 but i can spare a little more if it’s worth the money. 

Your motherboard most likely need a bios update to work with Ryzen 5000 series.

Sometimes even B550 still need bios update to work with Ryzen 5000 series.

What is your GPU btw ?

Hey guys! I am a first time builder so recently I got all the parts for my new build. I bought a used MSI Tomahwak B450 Max and a new AMD Ryzen 5 5600x. When the CPU finally arrived, I started building my computer but when i tried to turn it, it would give me the CPU red light error and there would be no display either. After trying to troubleshoot by replugging all the components and reseating the CPU and the cooler it would still give me the red light. So now I am looking for a new mobo, prolly gonna buy a new one. If you have any suggestions, I would really appreciate it. Would love to keep it under $100 but i can spare a little more if it’s worth the money. 

5 minutes ago, heartwurk said:

Your motherboard most likely need a bios update to work with Ryzen 5000 series.

Sometimes even B550 still need bios update to work with Ryzen 5000 series.

What is your GPU btw ?

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

2 minutes ago, Poinkachu said:

Your motherboard might need a bios update to work with Ryzen 5000 series.

Even B550 sometimes still need bios upgrade.

How do I go about doing that when I can't see anything on the screen? It just has the red light on. All the components are working besides the Case fan and the front USB3.0 

9 minutes ago, heartwurk said:

How do I go about doing that when I can't see anything on the screen? It just has the red light on. All the components are working besides the Case fan and the front USB3.0 

Page 41 from your motherboard manual.
Refer to page 23 to know which USB port to plug the flash drive into.

B450.png

If your GPU is 6500XT, you may as well return it and get a motherboard with chipset that supports PCIe gen 4
That GPU run like shit on PCI gen 3

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

11 minutes ago, Poinkachu said:

Page 41 from your motherboard manual.
Refer to page 23 to know which USB port to plug the flash drive into.

B450.png

If your GPU is 6500XT, you may as well return it and get a motherboard with chipset that supports PCIe gen 4
That GPU run like shit on PCI gen 3

I have a 3070. Should I still return it?

9 minutes ago, heartwurk said:

I have a 3070. Should I still return it?

i'd say you're fine.
Unless you really want that miniscule extra performance.
or if you are using or planning to use a PCIe 4 NVME

If you are getting a new one, just try to get one that allows you to update bios without needing CPU (like the flash bios button on the MSI).
Or you will have to borrow a compatible CPU first to update your bios. (From store, friend, or AMD themselves. The 3rd option kinda depends on which country you live in I think)

A video about PCI3 and PCI4 gpu performance difference :

Refresh before you reply

2 hours ago, Poinkachu said:

i'd say you're fine.
Unless you really want that miniscule extra performance.
or if you are using or planning to use a PCIe 4 NVME

If you are getting a new one, just try to get one that allows you to update bios without needing CPU (like the flash bios button on the MSI).
Or you will have to borrow a compatible CPU first to update your bios. (From store, friend, or AMD themselves. The 3rd option kinda depends on which country you live in I think)

A video about PCI3 and PCI4 gpu performance difference :

IT WORKED! I flashed the BIOS using a USB and the light went away!! Thank you for your help. really appreciate it!