Surround Sound Receiver & Subwoofer Connections

Scarous

I am new to the world of "real" surround sound, having upgraded from a soundbar with wireless surround to this 5.1.2 system. I got this system from a friend (lucky!). I just finished running the wires in the walls and need some advice on proper set up. 

Speakers: https://www.crutchfield.com/p_091EVO512A/Focal-Sib-Evo-Dolby-Atmos-5-1-2.html?tp=34

Receiver: https://www.crutchfield.com/S-iYN40g24aUB/p_022RXV583/Yamaha-RX-V583.html

I really just have two questions:

1. Is this receiver the right "size" for the speakers? The speakers are rated for up to 200w and the receiver is 80w/channel, and I have read conflicting information stating under- or over-powering speakers can be harmful to the life of the speaker. Assuming the system is fine (it sounds amazing), but wanted to check in.

2. Subwoofer connection. Alright, so the sub has "Right" and "Left LFE" RCA inputs. The receiver has Sub1 and Sub2 outputs. Right now I have RCA from "Left LFE" to Sub1 and from "Right" to Sub2, sub volume at 75%, crossover at LFE, phase at 0, and power at Auto. (Picture of the back of the sub here: (https://www.crutchfield.com/p_091EVO512A/Focal-Sib-Evo-Dolby-Atmos-5-1-2.html?tp=34#&gid=1&pid=4). I have read articles saying I need to use a Y cable to connect both Left and Right on the sub to Sub1 on the receiver, and don't use Sub2. Some say don't bother and just connect Left LFE to Sub1 (ignoring Right and Sub2). My sub is very quiet, so I am concerned I have something wrong. What is the right way to connect this sub and receiver? 

Thanks all!

28 minutes ago, Scarous said:

The speakers are rated for up to 200w and the receiver is 80w/channel

It's probably fine.

28 minutes ago, Scarous said:

Some say don't bother and just connect Left LFE to Sub1

Do this. The rest of the settings are correct as described, except the volume you can be set to preference.

BabyBlu (Primary): 

• CPU: Intel Core i9 9900K @ up to 5.3GHz, 5.0GHz all-core, delidded
  • Motherboard: Asus Maximus XI Hero
  • RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4x8GB DDR4-3200 @ 4000MHz 16-18-18-34
  • GPU: MSI RTX 2080 Sea Hawk EK X, 2070MHz core, 8000MHz mem
  • Case: Phanteks Evolv X
  • Storage: XPG SX8200 Pro 2TB, 3x ADATASU800 1TB (RAID 0), Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB
  • PSU: Corsair HX1000i
  • Display: MSI MPG341CQR 34" 3440x1440 144Hz Freesync, Dell S2417DG 24" 2560x1440 165Hz Gsync
  • Cooling: Custom water loop (CPU & GPU), Radiators: 1x140mm(Back), 1x280mm(Top), 1x420mm(Front)
  • Keyboard: Corsair Strafe RGB (Cherry MX Brown)
  • Mouse: MasterMouse MM710
  • Headset: Corsair Void Pro RGB

Roxanne (Wife Build):

• CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K @ up to 5.0GHz, 4.8Ghz all-core, relidded w/ LM
  • Motherboard: Asus Z97A
  • RAM: G.Skill Sniper 4x8GB DDR3-2400 @ 10-12-12-24
  • GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 w/ LM
  • Case: Corsair Vengeance C70, w/ Custom Side-Panel Window
  • Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, Silicon Power A80 2TB NVME
  • PSU: Corsair AX760
  • Display: Samsung C27JG56 27" 2560x1440 144Hz Freesync
  • Cooling: Corsair H115i RGB
  • Keyboard: GMMK TKL(Kailh Box White)
  • Mouse: Glorious Model O-
  • Headset: SteelSeries Arctis 7

BigBox (HTPC):

• CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D
  • Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3600 @ 3600MHz 14-14-14-28
  • GPU: MSI RTX 3080 Ventus 3X Plus OC, de-shrouded, LM TIM, replaced mem therm pads
  • Case: Fractal Design Node 202
  • Storage: SP A80 1TB, WD Black SN770 2TB
  • PSU: Corsair SF600 Gold w/ NF-A9x14
  • Display: Samsung QN90A 65" (QLED, 4K, 120Hz, HDR, VRR)
  • Cooling: Thermalright AXP-100 Copper w/ NF-A12x15
  • Keyboard/Mouse: Rii i4
  • Controllers: 4X Xbox One & 2X N64 (with USB)
  • Sound: Denon AVR S760H with 5.1.2 Atmos setup.

Harmonic (NAS/Game/Plex/Other Server):

• CPU: Intel Core i7 6700
  • Motherboard: ASRock FATAL1TY H270M
  • RAM: 64GB DDR4-2133
  • GPU: Intel HD Graphics 530
  • Case: Fractal Design Define 7
  • HDD: 3X Seagate Exos X16 14TB in RAID 5
  • SSD: Inland Premium 512GB NVME, Sabrent 1TB NVME
  • Optical: BDXL WH14NS40 flashed to WH16NS60
  • PSU: Corsair CX450
  • Display: None
  • Cooling: Noctua NH-U14S
  • Keyboard/Mouse: None

NAS:

• Synology DS216J
  • 2x8TB WD Red NAS HDDs in RAID 1. 8TB usable space

The receiver has plenty of juice for your speakers.  They are 25 to 200 watts.  Just don't go too loud, the receiver will kill them! Just run the sub with LFE.  I've got my SVS running like that and its 100% fine.

18 hours ago, Scarous said:

General gear commentary - these are not the speakers I'd recommend at that price point. I'm assuming you got it free or cheap so enjoy it (otherwise look at Emotiva B1+, ELAC Debut 2.0, JBL 530, Polk ES15/ES10)

Also be aware that positioning matters. Try to get all of the speakers at ear level and then follow this - https://www.audioreputation.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/5.1-speaker-layout.png

Subwoofer can go anywhere. look into "subwoofer crawl" to help with positioning. Tip - get a decibel meter app for your phone and do frequency sweeps (youtube video works) from 20-120Hz or so for subwoofer placement (place sub where your ears would be while sitting). Ideally it's at the same level throughout, if it's louder or softer it's some combination of the subwoofer and your room's walls/floor/ceiling.

I really just have two questions:

1. Is this receiver the right "size" for the speakers? The speakers are rated for up to 200w and the receiver is 80w/channel, and I have read conflicting information stating under- or over-powering speakers can be harmful to the life of the speaker. Assuming the system is fine (it sounds amazing), but wanted to check in.

If you're in a reasonably sized rooms, it'll be fine. The wattage on speakers is half-meaningless. Usually what you SHOULD focus on is sensitivity (and Ohms). If you have low efficiency speakers, then you need a stronger amplifier. Eyeballing those, they're physically small, which usually means low efficiency. Still unlikely to be an issue.

In practice speakers usually use something like half a watt or 1 watt.
If for example your speaker is 85dB efficient at 1 meter's distance, you only need 1W to hit that sound level. If you're 2 meter's away you'll need 4x the power though and for 3 meters you'd need 9x.

2. Subwoofer connection. Alright, so the sub has "Right" and "Left LFE" RCA inputs. The receiver has Sub1 and Sub2 outputs. Right now I have RCA from "Left LFE" to Sub1 and from "Right" to Sub2, sub volume at 75%, crossover at LFE, phase at 0, and power at Auto. (Picture of the back of the sub here: (https://www.crutchfield.com/p_091EVO512A/Focal-Sib-Evo-Dolby-Atmos-5-1-2.html?tp=34#&gid=1&pid=4). I have read articles saying I need to use a Y cable to connect both Left and Right on the sub to Sub1 on the receiver, and don't use Sub2. Some say don't bother and just connect Left LFE to Sub1 (ignoring Right and Sub2). My sub is very quiet, so I am concerned I have something wrong. What is the right way to connect this sub and receiver? 

Thanks all!

Plug the cable into the LFE option if given a choice. Otherwise plug it into whatever is there and set the crossover to the highest setting.

The Y cable thing shouldn't matter, it just feeds the same signal in twice. You can also get a similar effect by upping the gain by 3dB or changing the level offset in the AVR by 3dB. The capabilities of the sub won't be enhanced by "amplifying" the signal this way vs just using level offsets.

Also be aware that bass can be hard to get working well in some rooms. Sound waves reflect off walls and you can end up with some frequencies where the sound is cancelled out. This is calls a null. They're annoying. Bass traps in the corners and multiple subwoofers is the counter to this.

Also, in general you'll want to configure everything using YPAO or whatever it is built into your AVR. If you're using the settings for your friend's room things will be a little off.

If

3900x | 32GB RAM | RTX 2080

1.5TB Optane P4800X | 2TB Micron 1100 SSD | 16TB NAS w/ 10Gbe
QN90A | Polk R200, ELAC OW4.2, PB12-NSD, SB1000, HD800

Crossover is set to max and sub volume set to max. Still pretty quiet. The YPAO set up also maxes out the volume of the sub, still quiet. I have it plugged in with just 1 cable from LFE to sub1. I feel like I am doing something wrong. 

Factory reset the receiver. Still cant get the sub any louder. I set the sub crossover to 100, turned on bass boost, set the front speakers to small, plugged in sub1 on receiver to FLE on the sub. YPAO auto configuration still maxes out the sub volume. YPAO does error W1 for a speaker out of phase, but apparently this is a common problem even if everything is wired correctly (I checked every speaker, couldn't find any reversed wires). I am just at a loss. No clue what I am doing wrong.

23 hours ago, Scarous said:

YPAO does error W1 for a speaker out of phase, but apparently this is a common problem even if everything is wired correctly (I checked every speaker, couldn't find any reversed wires).

I guess there is the ever so slight chance a speaker's wires are wrong internally, so you could swap them one at a time and see if it goes away, but it can also just be room acoustics/speaker placement confusing it.

23 hours ago, Scarous said:

Still cant get the sub any louder. I set the sub crossover to 100, turned on bass boost, set the front speakers to small, plugged in sub1 on receiver to FLE on the sub. I am just at a loss. No clue what I am doing wrong.

Is the subwoofer known to work properly? Does YPAO detect the sub or what level does it set it to? The sub might also be placed at a less than ideal location creating a so-called null (or at least notably decrease sound level) where you sit or put the mic. Do check the aforementioned "subwoofer crawl". Either crawl around the room yourself, or try moving the sub around and see if that changes the situation.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

I think I got it! It is plugged into FLE, which I thought would automatically configure crossover. Not sure if that actually works with this receiver; I couldn't find a way to manually set it. Looking online, the sub is supposed to be set at a crossover of 120. Set it to 120, and now its LOUD. Had to re-do YPAO and set the sub volume to 75%. Seems like its perfect now! 

Speaking of though, why does this sub have a L and R channel? Should I be plugging in Sub 1 and Sub 2 into L and R? Right now, the R channel on the sub and the Sub 2 channel on the AVR are unused. 

56 minutes ago, Scarous said:

I think I got it! It is plugged into FLE, which I thought would automatically configure crossover. Not sure if that actually works with this receiver; I couldn't find a way to manually set it. Looking online, the sub is supposed to be set at a crossover of 120. Set it to 120, and now its LOUD. Had to re-do YPAO and set the sub volume to 75%. Seems like its perfect now! 

Speaking of though, why does this sub have a L and R channel? Should I be plugging in Sub 1 and Sub 2 into L and R? Right now, the R channel on the sub and the Sub 2 channel on the AVR are unused.

Strange you couldn't find crossover setting. One reason I could think of is you set your speakers to large. Try changing to small on all your speakers and then double check if crossover setting is available. Usually AVR does the crossover work while leaving the sub's crossover to maximum.

Subs have L and R channel inputs because for amplifiers (usually stereo amps) that doesn't have sub output, it may have stereo line outputs for scenario like sub's L and R inputs.

AVR's second sub output is for another subwoofer which can be used strategically for better bass response. 

PC spec: CPU: RYZEN 9 5950X | GPU: SAPPHIRE NITRO+ SE AMD RADEON 6900XT (Undervolt to 1045mV) | MB: MSI MAG TOMAHAWK x570 RAM: G.SKILL TRIDENT Z NEO 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4-3600 (OC to 3800 14-15-15-25) COOLING: NOCTUA NH-D15, BE QUIET! SILENT WINGS 120 & 140mm| CASE: IN-WIN 707 | 5.25" BAY: LG WH16NS60 INTERNAL BLU-RAY OPTICAL DRIVE | PSU: SEASONIC PRIME PLATINUM 1000WUPS: POWERSHIELD COMMANDER TOWER 1100VA

PERIPHERALS: KEYBOARD: CORSAIR K95 PLATINUM XT BROWN SWITCH | MOUSE: CORSAIR SABRE PRO WIRELESS | CONTROLLER: PDP AFTERGLOW WIRED CONTROLLER, DUALSENSE
DISPLAYS: LG 34GN8502x DELL S2721DGF | LG C1 48" 

HT & audio stuff:  AVR: MARANTZ SR7013 | STEREO AMPLIFIER: YAMAHA AS-501 | SPEAKERS: DALI OBERON 7 & DALI ZENSOR 1 & 2x SVS-SB2000 | HEADPHONE DAC+AMP: TOPPING L30+E30 | HEADPHONE: SENNHEISER HD6XX, BOSE QUIETCOMFORT 35 II | MICROPHONE: AUDIO-TECHNICA AT9934USB | BLU-RAY PLAYER: PANASONIC UB820