UHD Blu-Ray Video Compression

Does a UHD Blu-Ray use lossless HEVC to compress Master movie files? Or is it lossy?
If so, does that mean encodes essentially take a lossy file as input to create another lossy file? 
Wouldn't that result in perceptible quality loss?

1 hour ago, Razor54672 said:

Does a UHD Blu-Ray use lossless HEVC to compress Master movie files? Or is it lossy?
If so, does that mean encodes essentially take a lossy file as input to create another lossy file? 

This is the kind of thing wikipedia is really useful for.  Whatever they have is going to likely be their own thing though.  Whatever it is it’s going to be proprietary. It may be a version of HEVC, but if it is there will likely be significant differences literally to keep it from being compatible  One of the things about blu-ray is it’s so heavily concerned with drm and copy protection that it almost couldn’t be put on windows, and windows had to be modified just to allow it in some fairly painful ways, which were so onerous that it almost didn’t happen. The concept of the system using something FOSS just seems unlikely to me.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

To my knowledge it's a lossy compression. Raw uncompressed footage would be hundreds of gigabytes if not terabytes:

(3840 x 2160) pixels/frame * 24 frame/second * 10 bit/pixel = 248 MB/s

That translates to ~15 GB per minute, or 1.8 TB for a 2 hour uncompressed movie.

If you re-encode it, then yes. You lossy compress something already compressed and hence you will likely degrade quality to some extent. If you do a one-to-one rip of the disc, then there is no re-encoding and hence there should be no difference between the two.

If you don't choose your settings carefully it will be noticeable yes.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

7 hours ago, TheGreatestGazoo said:

Yes, UHD Blu-Ray supports the very efficient HEVC for encoding. Also 8K UHD is supported in HEVC.

Wow, that avatar is a seriously deep cut. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.