This was cool, until it wasn't.

AdamFromLTT

ATX? That's too big. Mini ITX? Nah, still too big. How about an upgradable NUC-alike where you can install your own AM4 CPU and slot the whole system into a bracket that holds a super powerful desktop GPU? Big when you need big, small when you need small. It's the perfect package. Or is it?

Check out the Minisforum Elitemini B550: https://lmg.gg/5E4VQ

PCIe slot? just as I suggested for this small form. if only it would work in a more practical sense.

do wonder how good the port and using it would be like tho. *breaks 12 pins with more dust than an game cartridge*

then using an PCIe extention, to an "GPU slot" below it with integrated PSU. remove GPU cooler, place GPU inside case that can be attached to the bottom of the mini PC into a more tower style cooler. 2nd case below where the GPU is, with airflow through the sides or by a fan in the bottom of the mini PC pulling down and out the side. *rambles on and on* but I guess more trouble than something that "works".

*becomes intel NUC or an laptop* fyi... whoops

Edited by Quackers101

I prefer this to an Intel NUC. I can upgrade the CPU cheaper than a NUC cpu card. 

Well I could if it wasn't an AM4 socket. Future upgrades are going to be limited by that I think. Also being stuck with DDR4 ram as a consequence.

Laptops aren't upgradeable. Or really even repairable. Yes the Framework might survive to be a good option but external GPU enclosures are pricey and finicky and you're limited by the speed of the connection.

I don't need or want a monitor on it. I have a much better setup at home and everywhere I would take it I have monitors available. 

Edit: I would probably also mod it to take a Noctua NHD-15 cooler.

I think this is just a solution for a very specific problem that I'm having a hard time finding out what it even is.

The only actually practical scenario where I can think of are internet cafés.

If those mini PCs were executed good enough, they can be very easy to carry all those PCs around than ATX style cases, and they would still occupy a smaller amount of space, and they are very easy for maintenance... at least for technicians, that is.

If Minisforum were to just make a PC case made just for this mini pc, it would have saved costs.

This system would be for those that want a SFF PC that they can plug into their TV, when they want a Mediacenter PC. but plug it into their gaming rig/stand if they want to game.

Like 1 PC to rule em all.

╔═════════════╦═══════════════════════════════════════════╗
║__________________║ hardware_____________________________________________________ ║
╠═════════════╬═══════════════════════════════════════════╣
║ cpu ______________║ ryzen 9 5900x_________________________________________________ ║
║ GPU______________║ ASUS strix LC RX6800xt______________________________________ _║
║ motherboard_______ ║ asus crosshair formulla VIII______________________________________║
║ memory___________║ CMW32GX4M2Z3600C18 ______________________________________║
║ SSD______________║ Samsung 980 PRO 1TB_________________________________________ ║
║ PSU______________║ Corsair RM850x 850W _______________________ __________________║
║ CPU cooler _______ ║ Be Quiet be quiet! PURE LOOP 360mm ____________________________║
║ Case_____________ ║ Thermaltake Core X71 __________________________________________║
║ HDD_____________ ║ 2TB and 6TB HDD ____________________________________________║
║ Front IO__________   ║ LG blu-ray drive & 3.5" card reader, [trough a 5.25 to 3.5 bay]__________║
║ OS_______________ ║ Windows 10 PRO______________________________________________║
╚═════════════╩═══════════════════════════════════════════╝

I guess it's unique but seems like it doesn't have a purpose.  Do they envision people carrying around a laptop-without-a-screen box thing?  Really it's like they made a ITX open-bench build with more steps.

Workstation:  14700nonk || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

How the heck are these two tech dummies missing the point of this thing??? It's to allow GPU upgradability for a NUC. Obviously you won't be stressing a 3090 Ti with that 8 core CPU but that isn't the point. Swappable graphics cards have always been the realm of big desktops except there are use cases where having a giant case isn't practical. This solution allows you to have a high-end GPU and a decent desktop 8 core. Keeping the GPU's PSU separate also allows you to match the power supply for the card you're using - something that's impossible to do with a NUC that just has a plug in power brick or most SFF boxes where the power supply is fixed/limited.

GPU dead? Swap it out! GPU getting old? Drop in a new one! Can't do that with a gaming laptop 🤣🤣🤣

Even something like the overrated Corsair One is so tightly integrated you have very few options to customize it, your storage is limited and should anything break it is beyond user serviceable. This at least let's you swap the CPU/RAM/SSD easily, and if the mobo is standard ITX then that too.

For my money though I'd skip this and go with a Falcon Tiki. It's got a very small footprint and you can literally stuff the thing with a 16-core CPU, 3080 Ti, and 8+TB of SSD - plenty for a balls-to-the-wall gaming system. You can even modify the base on those if you want something more exotic/heavy to stop it from tipping over - I remember marble/granite used to be offered. Wrapping/painting the case is easily doable too. Then my sweet spot for a monitor would be a 38 inch 3840x1600 G-sync IPS that can push 144Hz.

44 minutes ago, Luscious said:

GPU dead? Swap it out! GPU getting old? Drop in a new one! Can't do that with a gaming laptop 🤣🤣🤣

doesn't quite work as easy, for the PSU part or so.as with the NUC I guess there was 3 parts like this and radiator. if there was a better way to do an PSU or to split it up, new connectors? or whatever else to make it work better for the ease of use and look more combined. if one had the razor/apple cash to do so, like with their projects. also if so much need to change each time, than swapping a full laptop motherboard would be less of an issue? while having both screen and keyboard and hopefully RAM/storage to reuse.

With a stationary GPU / large monitor and riser cable with external slot for easy connection, it truly is the best of both worlds. But it needs a solid modular power connection that can take the abuse of being disconnected and reconnected regularly, or least easily repaired when weakening or damaged.

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

MODERATE TO SEVERE AUTISTIC, COMPLICATED WITH COVID FOG

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

I believe this mini form factor is meant to be a competitor to game consoles and gaming laptops. That its compact and travel-ready. The base extension for a dedicated GPU and PWU is probably for minimalist gamers. But that would mean that the PC would become a stationary unit, losing its main functionality. Because who would want to carry an expensive GPU and PWU just so that the end-user can game at the highest resolution and FPS. I do love the low profile, compact of this PC. But with cloud storage and cloud gaming services (paid or home service.) It would be better to use the service and use this PC as it is, a travel-ready PC, and use it's onboard graphics. As you would be using your service's PC to stream to your B550.

2 hours ago, Luscious said:

How the heck are these two tech dummies missing the point of this thing??? It's to allow GPU upgradability for a NUC.

Or you can build into a good ITX case for about the same footprint, and again have a fully upgradable system with a GPU?

This has very little purpose as it stands.

what was wrong with Previuos Image? YouTube does not like Linus?)