Ryzen 9 3950x running hot

Hey guys, I have a R9 3950x that is not overclocked running on an aorus x570 xtreme motherboard. At idea the cpu usage around 14% load the chip is around 68C. It is being cooled by a corsair cx7 water block and thermal grizzly kryonaut on a custom loop with two 480 rads. My RTX 3080 being cooled on the same custom loop is running at 32C. The ambient air is around 23C. One CCD is always hotter than the other one. Does anyone have any suggestions? 

Thank you, 

image.thumb.png.ce7cedae1c4728869dbc3f596557b884.png

How do load temps compare? IIRC Ryzen is known for high idles. I'm not familiar with how they behave on water, though that does sound like a high temp, but a comparison vs full load is still very helpful. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

Have you ever changed anything in the BIOS other than enabling DOCP? Sometimes out of the box settings on different motherboard manufacturers can push more voltage by default. So that's one possibility.

Have you updated chipset software and BIOS lately?

Looking up your motherboard shows that there are two revisions so if you do update definitely find out which version you have first.

Was this just idle and those spikes are just boot tasks?

20 minutes ago, DominicNikon said:

Hey guys, I have a R9 3950x that is not overclocked running on an aorus x570 xtreme motherboard. At idea the cpu usage around 14% load the chip is around 68C. It is being cooled by a corsair cx7 water block and thermal grizzly kryonaut on a custom loop with two 480 rads. My RTX 3080 being cooled on the same custom loop is running at 32C. The ambient air is around 23C. One CCD is always hotter than the other one. Does anyone have any suggestions? 

Thank you, 

image.thumb.png.ce7cedae1c4728869dbc3f596557b884.png

When looking at load vs temps, you need to look at the higher load on any single core not the overall load.  Just one core spiking to high load will push the temps up due to how close they are to each other on the chip.

As others have said, high idle temps are not that unusual and looking at the first three cores in your screenshot that's not idle to begin with.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

4 hours ago, Bianks84 said:

Have you ever changed anything in the BIOS other than enabling DOCP? Sometimes out of the box settings on different motherboard manufacturers can push more voltage by default. So that's one possibility.

Have you updated chipset software and BIOS lately?

Looking up your motherboard shows that there are two revisions so if you do update definitely find out which version you have first.

Was this just idle and those spikes are just boot tasks?

So turns out what was not idle. idle is actually around 54F. Only change in bios was XMP for ram and bios/chipset is updated 

4 hours ago, Zando_ said:

How do load temps compare?

The load temperatures for 3d mark CPU profile were 83C for CPU and CCD1 was 78C and CCD2 was 60C 

1 hour ago, DominicNikon said:

So turns out what was not idle. idle is actually around 54F. Only change in bios was XMP for ram and bios/chipset is updated 

Pretty sure you mean 54C right?

I currently use a watercooled 3rd gen Ryzen (3800XT) and a 50 degree idle isn't out of the question.

That delta between the CCDs is a bit weird but not too concerning. I still think it's probably just one of Gigabyte's default BIOS settings pushing more voltage though.

If I'm right, when you put windows in it a power saving plan, you'll see the idle temp just PLUMMET.

I'm on W10 but I see no reason why it shouldn't do the same on 11.

If it still bothers you, you can always decrease PBO limits in the BIOS or try to undervolt.

28 minutes ago, Bianks84 said:

Pretty sure you mean 54C right?

I currently use a watercooled 3rd gen Ryzen (3800XT) and a 50 degree idle isn't out of the question.

That delta between the CCDs is a bit weird but not too concerning. I still think it's probably just one of Gigabyte's default BIOS settings pushing more voltage though.

If I'm right, when you put windows in it a power saving plan, you'll see the idle temp just PLUMMET.

I'm on W10 but I see no reason why it shouldn't do the same on 11.

If it still bothers you, you can always decrease PBO limits in the BIOS or try to undervolt.

Yep, I meant 54C. And sounds good, I won't worry about it too much. I'm Just curious, are these AMD style blocks actually beneficial or is it just marketing where they say it gets around 5C cooler then a intel block? Optimus Foundation CPU Block - AMD - Optimus Water Cooling (optimuspc.com)

25 minutes ago, DominicNikon said:

I kind of glanced at that, but it's probably because the coldplate is offset vs standard so that the center of the coldplate is closer to the CCDs. I know Arctic included one in a later revision of their Liquid Freezr line of AIOs. Pretty sure Gamers Nexus has a video on comparing the temps.

Honestly it's not enough of a difference to matter though. Though I would never believe that claim unless it was tested properly.

Was looking at those blocks while planning for a custom loop and they look real nice.

Found it: should be a timestamp for offset bracket testing

13 hours ago, Bianks84 said:

I noticed that my bios is reporting my pump RPM at 700 instead of the normal 4000rpm. I'm assuming this can be causing an issue?

15 minutes ago, DominicNikon said:

I noticed that my bios is reporting my pump RPM at 700 instead of the normal 4000rpm. I'm assuming this can be causing an issue?

Uh - Yeah.

If the pump isn't moving enough coolant to the block it can't keep the chip cooled properly but at the same time it's possible it's mis-reporting your pump speed.
Check your settings in the BIOS and make sure it's set so it never falls below a minimum RPM, usually you don't want it going below 1000 for any reason but 1500 is probrably best to ensure it's not running too slow with the chip you have no matter what.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

13 minutes ago, Beerzerker said:

Uh - Yeah.

If the pump isn't moving enough coolant to the block it can't keep the chip cooled properly but at the same time it's possible it's mis-reporting your pump speed.
Check your settings in the BIOS and make sure it's set so it never falls below a minimum RPM, usually you don't want it going below 1000 for any reason but 1500 is probrably best to ensure it's not running too slow with the chip you have no matter what.

I had the bios set to not go below 1500 but it dropped to 700 all of a sudden. I unplugged the pump from the motherboard to force the pump to run at 100% and it is now idling at around 44C. This loop has been running for months so I'm not sure what would cause the motherboard to not force the pump at full speed, maybe the bios update I performed. 

6 hours ago, DominicNikon said:

I had the bios set to not go below 1500 but it dropped to 700 all of a sudden. I unplugged the pump from the motherboard to force the pump to run at 100% and it is now idling at around 44C. This loop has been running for months so I'm not sure what would cause the motherboard to not force the pump at full speed, maybe the bios update I performed. 

Probrably was, chances are the profile you had was changed back to a default state and now you'll have to redo all the settings for it.
Whenever you do a BIOS update always be ready to redo settings because of that.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.