Added more memory; system is now handicapped & won't power up under normal circumstances

System info:

• R7 3700x in an ASUS X470 PRIME motherboard. Cooled by an NH-D15, fan connected with a Low Noise Adapter.
  • 16GB Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3200C16 Vengeance XMP kit. (Same as the new kit mentioned later on)
  • RTX 3060 // GTX 960 (used later on for testing)
  • Powered by a Corsair RM 850x with default cables.

I opened up my case to install another 16GB kit of Corsair Vengeance 3200mhz "XMP" C16 glory. Shifted over the previous two dimms closer to the CPU socket to make putting the new ones in easier. The closest (to the CPU) dimm was a tight squeeze against the NH-D15; went in at a little bit of an angle but its in there and all 32GBs ended up being registered (later on...)

With the new memory installed, I turned the PSU back on. Motherboard lights popped on, I pressed the power button and while I believe the system powered on, it didn't POST. After a little bit of re-seating memory, I'd pressed that power button and... nothing. No fan spin or anything. Board rights were still on.

After some experimentation, I decided to frankenstein-connect another powersupply up to the system, only connecting CPU power, 24-pin ATX and my GTX 960 - the 3060 couldn't be used as the test PSU doesn't support it.

System boots, but I get a CPU fan error. Right, lets power off and plug the CPU fan in.... Doesn't startup this time; there are lights but no fanspin or anything.

Unplug the CPU fan, we boot, kinda?

I eventually get into Windows, and I notice a few problems:

• No Ethernet connectivity. The thing is plugged in, but I'm not getting a connection. The Adapter does not show in Device Manager or Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Network Connections
  • SpeedFan no longer displays any FAN PWMs, and doesn't even display CPU temperature

I have tried:

• Only 1 DIMM, trying twice with one of my old ones and a new one
  • Both RTX 3060 and GTX 960
  • Re-seating 24-pin ATX and 8-pin CPU connectors
  • Both Power Supplies. Sometimes it works, sometimes not... Not entirely sure when honestly.
  • ... Lots man, I'm really not sure. Hit me up with anything. 

What do you think I could have broken or otherwise damaged my machine? I'll go ahead and do a BIOS reset if I can, and I'll grab the BIOS version while I'm there and edit/add later. Writing this up on the machine seeing as she's on for now.

I'm just glad I didn't fry my CPU or motherboard, or anything as far as I can tell!

IMG_20220620_180824.jpg

IMG_20220620_191919.jpg

IMG_20220620_201557.jpg

Speedfan.png

I am a Tech Enthusiast; Gamer, Computing student; Small YouTuber and a keyboard warrior :^)

System Specs:

CPU: AMD FX-9590 8Cores@4.7GHz | RAM: 16GB (Mixed Kingston&Corsair) | GPU: ZOTAC GTX 960 4GB | Case: Bitfenix Merx Alpha | Storage: Intel P600 M.2 NVMe SSD [BOOT]; Samsung 850 EVO 120GB [Spare]; 240GB OCZ SSD [Games] ;1TB SSHD | PSU: Corsair RM 850x Modular PSU | Displays: AOC 24" 1080p; x2 LG 23" Ultrawides; LG 45" 1080p TV | Cooling: Noctua NH-D15 |Keyboard: Ducky Shine DK9008_G2Pro + Razer Blackwidow X Chroma TE | Mouse: Razer Deathadder 2013; Razer Deathadder Chroma; Razer Deathadder Elite (current) | Mouse Pad: Razer Goliathus Extended | Audio: Sennheiser Urbanite XL | Operating System: Windows 10 Home

I'm seeing a pattern of Ryzens having various issues with Corsair RAM, mostly crashing. Lots of posts like these with this particular pairing as of late. Crucial Ballistix works best with Ryzen in my experience.

Edited by An0maly_76
Revised

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

MODERATE TO SEVERE AUTISTIC, COMPLICATED WITH COVID FOG

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

Sounds like Corsair Memory on a ryzen system.

But the real issue was that you left XMP on while adding more ram, maybe that kit can't run at 3200mhz with 4 dimms, you know, because it is Corsair, causing you not being able to boot, BIOS reset would have fixed that, because by default XMP is off, running ram at 2133mhz, which any kit should be able to do. But I don't know what happened to the windows install. Either way clear BIOS, maybe update it if you want, and then report back

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

Back in Windows after a Bios reset. Memory is now running at 2133 as suggested, although SpeedFan is still lacking most info and my Ethernet Adaptor hasn't come back 😞

I am a Tech Enthusiast; Gamer, Computing student; Small YouTuber and a keyboard warrior :^)

System Specs:

CPU: AMD FX-9590 8Cores@4.7GHz | RAM: 16GB (Mixed Kingston&Corsair) | GPU: ZOTAC GTX 960 4GB | Case: Bitfenix Merx Alpha | Storage: Intel P600 M.2 NVMe SSD [BOOT]; Samsung 850 EVO 120GB [Spare]; 240GB OCZ SSD [Games] ;1TB SSHD | PSU: Corsair RM 850x Modular PSU | Displays: AOC 24" 1080p; x2 LG 23" Ultrawides; LG 45" 1080p TV | Cooling: Noctua NH-D15 |Keyboard: Ducky Shine DK9008_G2Pro + Razer Blackwidow X Chroma TE | Mouse: Razer Deathadder 2013; Razer Deathadder Chroma; Razer Deathadder Elite (current) | Mouse Pad: Razer Goliathus Extended | Audio: Sennheiser Urbanite XL | Operating System: Windows 10 Home

Just now, TheTalkingKeyboard said:

Back in Windows after a Bios reset. Memory is now running at 2133 as suggested, although SpeedFan is still lacking most info and my Ethernet Adaptor hasn't come back 😞

Well first thing to do was BIOS reset!

Seems that either the RAM sticks or the board can't get full 3200 speed with 4 sticks, so try something lower like 3000, then 2800 etc

Or maybe the RAM is faulty, you should memtest it

Re lost Ethernet I've had the case on a brand new board (B660), resetting network in Windows solved it

The loss of HW sensors is more weird ...

System : AMD R9  7950X3D CPU/ Asus ROG STRIX X670E-E board/ 2x32GB G-Skill Trident Z Neo 6000CL30 RAM ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 cooler (with 2xArctic P12 Max fans) /  2TB WD SN850 NVme + 2TB Crucial T500  NVme  + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD / Corsair RM850x PSU

Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

Hi everyone, 

Memory is now running at 3200mhz no problem.

I'm @PDifolcoI'm afraid resetting the network didn't do anything - Windows restarted itself but when it came back I was still networkless. The physical Ethernet port has one orange light, but no green blinky fella 

I really think I broke something hardware-wise. I'm about to try booting the system with my original powersupply cos that would be ideal!

System Specs:

still not booting with my original PSU... 

Motherboard lights up, but she doesn't start at all. Man I'm super confused. 

I tried that PSU with another (AM3+) Motherboard earlier and while I didn't get display out, I did get fanspin alongside internal peripherals such as HDDs revving up. 

System Specs:

8 minutes ago, TheTalkingKeyboard said:

still not booting with my original PSU... 

Motherboard lights up, but she doesn't start at all. Man I'm super confused. 

I tried that PSU with another (AM3+) Motherboard earlier and while I didn't get display out, I did get fanspin alongside internal peripherals such as HDDs revving up. 

Really I don't think the PSU is the problem.. Do you boot with just the 2 original sticks ?

System : AMD R9  7950X3D CPU/ Asus ROG STRIX X670E-E board/ 2x32GB G-Skill Trident Z Neo 6000CL30 RAM ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 cooler (with 2xArctic P12 Max fans) /  2TB WD SN850 NVme + 2TB Crucial T500  NVme  + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD / Corsair RM850x PSU

Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

2 minutes ago, PDifolco said:

Really I don't think the PSU is the problem.. Do you boot with just the 2 original sticks ?

Nada. Mobo lights up, nothing happens when trying to power on. 

System Specs:

I don't wanna keep rattling on about it, but my PSU is literally buzzing. It wasn't doing that before

System Specs:

21 minutes ago, TheTalkingKeyboard said:

I don't wanna keep rattling on about it, but my PSU is literally buzzing. It wasn't doing that before

Well it is possible that the PSU was the issue all along, and damaged your motherboard, can't rule out that possibility. But slight coil whine technically is normal for a psu.

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Fix for Ethernet problem: USB to Ethernet adapter. Not the best solution, but hey I got a connection so I can't complain.

Will RMA the PSU and hopefully get that sorted out.

Assuming nothing else is wrong with my system aside from the Ethernet, I'll keep the board as-is and just accept that its a little broke now.

System Specs: