Dram and CPU light on motherboard blinking

rolopopsicle

I recently got some new ram for my pc as the older ones I had were too slow, and when I put them in the lights started blinking however when I put 1 ram stick into the B1 slot it works, my specs are i5-12600k ,Z690 UD DDR4, lmk if you need anything else but the new ram I purchased is called patriot viper elite II 16GB DDR4 4000mhz single module

2 minutes ago, rolopopsicle said:

I recently got some new ram for my pc as the older ones I had were too slow, and when I put them in the lights started blinking however when I put 1 ram stick into the B1 slot it works, my specs are i5-12600k ,Z690 UD DDR4, lmk if you need anything else but the new ram I purchased is called patriot viper elite II 16GB DDR4 4000mhz single module

Try clearing CMOS first.

Did you plug both at the same time?
And what is the old ram.

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

11 minutes ago, Poinkachu said:

Try clearing CMOS first.

Did you plug both at the same time?
And what is the old ram.

I've cleared CMOS already and I'll try plugging them in at the same time, my old ram was corsair vengeance 2x8GB 2400mhz 

Have you tried updating the BIOS with the old RAM in first as newer version may add additional compatibility. Once done reset BIOS config to default so that any XMP settings are reset.

1 minute ago, rolopopsicle said:

I've cleared CMOS already and I'll try plugging them in at the same time, my old ram was corsair vengeance 2x8GB 2400mhz 

So when you said it blinked, that's when you tried it with only the new RAM ?

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

Just now, Poinkachu said:

So when you said it blinked, that's when you tried it with only the new RAM ?

Yeah, whereas before it was working with the old ram, I'll try putting my old ram back in 

2 minutes ago, MrMase said:

Have you tried updating the BIOS with the old RAM in first as newer version may add additional compatibility. Once done reset BIOS config to default so that any XMP settings are reset.

I'll try that and let you know

Yeah, whereas before it was working with the old ram, I'll try putting my old ram back in 

Oh okay, i was asking just because it wasn't clear enough in your first post.

But yeah, try updating your BIOS i guess.

Refresh before you reply

Just now, Poinkachu said:

Will do

25 minutes ago, MrMase said:

I've done it but I'm still having the same issue 

19 minutes ago, Poinkachu said:

Not working sadly 

Which motherboard do you have specifically, was this memory on their compatibility list?

It could be a faulty stick of memory but worth verifying the above to see if officially supported.

15 minutes ago, MrMase said:

Which motherboard do you have specifically, was this memory on their compatibility list?

It could be a faulty stick of memory but worth verifying the above to see if officially supported.

I'll take a look, however if it wasn't on their compatability list I don't get why one stick would work but adding another wouldn't

I'll take a look, however if it wasn't on their compatability list I don't get why one stick would work but adding another wouldn't

Well, if we're talking about just the new one, there's also the possibility that the stick is DoA somehow.
If you can still return it, may as well return it. If you can get a refund, get a refund instead.
Buy a 2x8gb instead, since you'll get more performance if it's running on dual channel.

Mixing, well, their frequency and timing is vastly different. At the very least for the freq part.
No point buying a 4000mhz ram too if you're just gonna end up reducing them to your old ram spec.

Refresh before you reply

2 minutes ago, Poinkachu said:

Well, if we're talking about just the new one, there's also the possibility that the stick is DoA somehow.
If you can still return it, may as well return it. If you can get a refund, get a refund instead.
Buy a 2x8gb instead, since you'll get more performance if it's running on dual channel.

Mixing, well, their frequency and timing is vastly different. At the very least for the freq part.
No point buying a 4000mhz ram too if you're just gonna end up reducing them to your old ram spec.

They both work when they're in by themselves which is why this is confusing me, I'm fairly certain they aren't DoA and I've looked and I can now see that they're compatible with my motherboard too however I might do what you said and refund them for 2x8

26 minutes ago, MrMase said:

Didn't mean to press that it was solved but they're compatible however I'm being suggested to refund them and get 2x8 which I might do 

Agree with @Poinkachu2 x 8GB would work better than 1 x 16, but you said adding more modules so was you trying to use the new module alongside the old, in which case I'm not surprised there would be issues here but the best layout for that being an intel system would be slots 1 and 3 on the Corsair then slot 2 on the new module so that the dual channel speed is consistent.

Outside of that I have seen issues where there is a version mismatch on Corsair DIMMS of the same version so will not buy Corsair memory now after some RMA issues with them in an old Quad Channel setup.

Just now, MrMase said:

Agree with @Poinkachu2 x 8GB would work better than 1 x 16, but you said adding more modules so was you trying to use the new module alongside the old, in which case I'm not surprised there would be issues here but the best layout for that being an intel system would be slots 1 and 3 on the Corsair then slot 2 on the new module so that the dual channel speed is consistent.

Outside of that I have seen issues where there is a version mismatch on Corsair DIMMS of the same version so will not buy Corsair memory now after some RMA issues with them in an old Quad Channel setup.

I'm not trying to use them alongside the older ram, I have bought 2 16GB ram sticks 4000mhz, my old Corsair ones work fine but im pretty sure they limit the framerate I can get as when I upgraded to the 16 GB ram stick I was getting an average of 100fps more with my 3080 and less stuttering 

6 minutes ago, rolopopsicle said:

I'm not trying to use them alongside the older ram, I have bought 2 16GB ram sticks 4000mhz, my old Corsair ones work fine but im pretty sure they limit the framerate I can get as when I upgraded to the 16 GB ram stick I was getting an average of 100fps more with my 3080 and less stuttering 

If you already have 2 sticks of them then no need to refund.
Your first post said 16gb single module. That's why we assumed it's 1 stick of 16gb DDR4 ram.

And so with this new information, I'm gonna clarify something :
Your motherboard CPU & RAM Led blinks when you install 2 sticks of the new ram, and you can't get into POST.
However when plugging only 1 stick of the new ram, everything's fine.
Correct?

Refresh before you reply

2 minutes ago, rolopopsicle said:

Ah I assumed from "single module" in your original post this was replacing 2 sticks with 1. In which case as your an intel system can you try the stick in slot 1 and 3 to test dual channel, then if that fails 1 and 2 to seperate them.

After that I would suggest running 4 passes of Memtest against each stick to see if one of them is faulty.

https://www.memtest86.com/download.htm

12 minutes ago, Poinkachu said:

If you already have 2 sticks of them then no need to refund.
Your first post said 16gb single module. That's why we assumed it's 1 stick of 16gb DDR4 ram.

And so with this new information, I'm gonna clarify something :
Your motherboard CPU & RAM Led blinks when you install 2 sticks of the new ram, and you can't get into POST.
However when plugging only 1 stick of the new ram, everything's fine.
Correct?

Yes that's correct

16 minutes ago, MrMase said:

Ah I assumed from "single module" in your original post this was replacing 2 sticks with 1. In which case as your an intel system can you try the stick in slot 1 and 3 to test dual channel, then if that fails 1 and 2 to seperate them.

After that I would suggest running 4 passes of Memtest against each stick to see if one of them is faulty.

I've tried slot 1 and 3 and also slot 1 and 2 together and neither are working, I'll try get onto my desktop to download memtest

25 minutes ago, MrMase said:

it seems that it requires a USB drive and i do not have one laying around at the moment so i cannot do this, i might just give up and refund my motherboard and new ram sticks then go with DDR5 as it'll probably be alot easier 

13 minutes ago, rolopopsicle said:

it seems that it requires a USB drive and i do not have one laying around at the moment so i cannot do this, i might just give up and refund my motherboard and new ram sticks then go with DDR5 as it'll probably be alot easier 

ddr5 is garbage atm due to price and still being very new and not mature yet, only worth it if you get your ddr5 to 7200+ as a futureproofing attempt for potential standard in the next ~4 years or so

I suggest rmaing the sticks as its most likely not the board, just get standard 3200 cl16 or 3600 cl18 this time

9 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

ddr5 is garbage atm due to price and still being very new and not mature yet, only worth it if you get your ddr5 to 7200+ as a futureproofing attempt for potential standard in the next ~4 years or so

I suggest rmaing the sticks as its most likely not the board, just get standard 3200 cl16 or 3600 cl18 this time

alright thank you, will do