Lag in Discord calls and video games

Go to solution Solved by toni__95,
On 6/21/2022 at 8:00 AM, Falcon1986 said:

Try another nearby region.

I suspect there is a busy segment between your ISP and the actual servers you're connected to. Not much you can do about that. You can try running a tracert to the game server's IP to get an idea of where the high latency is located.

After contacting the ISP and giving them the tracert results, their engineering team detected the root cause of the issue. They estimate the issue to be solved in about a week.

Man this issue is frustrating. It has been been happening for about a week now, it was completely fine beforehand.

So I play COD with my mates in a Discord call, and their voices lag and the game lags terribly.
Restarting router / PC resolves the issue temporarily, then it eventually happens again. I am connected wirelessly and ethernet is not possible right now.

I have no issues when watching YouTube or anything.
When I do a speed test, these are my results:

image.png.ac0e71d677acc6f7d4a55853f536033a.png

Any suggestions?

3 hours ago, toni__95 said:

I am connected wirelessly...

This is likely the cause.

Run a wireless survey with WiFi Analyzer on the same computer with the problem and show us what is displayed for 2.4GHz and 5GHz.

What make/model of WiFi adapter? How far away from the wireless AP? What make/model of wireless router/AP? What are WiFi settings being used on wireless router/AP?

On 6/18/2022 at 2:33 AM, Falcon1986 said:

This is likely the cause.

Run a wireless survey with WiFi Analyzer on the same computer with the problem and show us what is displayed for 2.4GHz and 5GHz.

What make/model of WiFi adapter? How far away from the wireless AP? What make/model of wireless router/AP? What are WiFi settings being used on wireless router/AP?

I got an ethernet cable and the issue is still persisting. It happens around night time. It works fine in the afternoon. I played COD and it is fine. Discord on the other hand was nuts. at times it would go from 24 ping to 5000 ping. peoples voices lag on Discord phone too. Sometimes when I am speaking on Discord, they will be clear then eventually they will lag a little bit and then lag to the point where i cannot hear them at all, and then a mix of these things will happen again.image.png.8891cf59ba70525fb5fc706082a04d60.png

5 hours ago, toni__95 said:

I got an ethernet cable and the issue is still persisting.

1. What type of ethernet cable?
  2. Is the cable directly plugged into the router or ISP device?
5 hours ago, toni__95 said:

It happens around night time. It works fine in the afternoon.

Could be due to peak network/server usage. Have you tried connecting to a different server if that is possible?

15 minutes ago, Falcon1986 said:

Could be due to peak network/server usage. Have you tried connecting to a different server if that is possible?

Just to save some duplication of effort the OP also posted the same in another section at https://linustechtips.com/topic/1438123-discord-and-game-lag/

19 hours ago, Falcon1986 said:

10m CAT6 RJ45 Ethernet Network Cable
It is plugged directly into the router.
How would I connect to a different server?

42 minutes ago, toni__95 said:

How would I connect to a different server?

Whoever created the Discord server needs to set the region that is closest to the majority of users.

Please read the Discord FAQ.

16 minutes ago, Falcon1986 said:

Whoever created the Discord server needs to set the region that is closest to the majority of users.

Please read the Discord FAQ.

It is set to the region that is closest already. But games lag too. COD doesn't lag but DBD does.

10 hours ago, toni__95 said:

It is set to the region that is closest already. But games lag too. COD doesn't lag but DBD does.

I suspect there is a busy segment between your ISP and the actual servers you're connected to. Not much you can do about that. You can try running a tracert to the game server's IP to get an idea of where the high latency is located.

9 hours ago, Falcon1986 said:

I was advised by my ISP to run a tracert and send them the details. I will do a tracert of Discord when i am having issues.

On 6/21/2022 at 8:00 AM, Falcon1986 said:

After contacting the ISP and giving them the tracert results, their engineering team detected the root cause of the issue. They estimate the issue to be solved in about a week.