Idea to Increase Folding@home Users Substantially

Tell me what you guys think. The first part of the video is just to explain to my viewers what Folding@home is and then the second part starts around 3 minutes and thats where I give my idea :)

Please if you think this is a good idea try to get the word around. Something like this would take a-lot of support to make into reality. Social media is King and i even made a click to tweet in the description of the video. Thanks for taking the time to read, watch, and tell me what your think :D

Cool video... some comments...

I like the idea of using the console. Issue with the PS3 was A: Sony had to redo the application to work and B: Those PS3 got HOT.

As for auto include in next gen, doubt that will happen. Pande group never made the client for PS3 and Sony found it to difficult to maintain. Although the next series will be x86 based, a custom OS will require a custom app.

Folding has to be a personal choice. There is always a cost involved. You generate excess heat, pay, even a little, more on your power bill and poentital wear down your parts a bit faster.

The next gen units are APU based solutions. Current ones don't actually produce a lot of PDD for the power and heat the create. But, it is a cool thought - hopefully it gets some serious attention when they start to roll out. We can see what the actual numbers are.

Now - completely personal note - i didn't care for the FPS game running while you talk about folding. Having you chat about folding, finding cures, helping people, etc., while you play and kill others, well, was a bit off for me. But, that is just me personally.

All in all, good effort and thank you for helpign to get the word out!

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

Cool video... some comments...

I like the idea of using the console. Issue with the PS3 was A: Sony had to redo the application to work and B: Those PS3 got HOT.

As for auto include in next gen, doubt that will happen. Pande group never made the client for PS3 and Sony found it to difficult to maintain. Although the next series will be x86 based, a custom OS will require a custom app.

Folding has to be a personal choice. There is always a cost involved. You generate excess heat, pay, even a little, more on your power bill and poentital wear down your parts a bit faster.

The next gen units are APU based solutions. Current ones don't actually produce a lot of PDD for the power and heat the create. But, it is a cool thought - hopefully it gets some serious attention when they start to roll out. We can see what the actual numbers are.

Now - completely personal note - i didn't care for the FPS game running while you talk about folding. Having you chat about folding, finding cures, helping people, etc., while you play and kill others, well, was a bit off for me. But, that is just me personally.

All in all, good effort and thank you for helpign to get the word out!

A custom app wouldn't be all bad for the console's, yes it would cost a little to make it but they could make the program less intense then the PC version making your console run not as hot, not degrade components as fast, and obviously use less power. Also if it is developed for each console and since both will now be using the x86 infrastructure hopefully they could create a less buggy program for the console(s). I think it would be a bad idea to install something like this with out telling the buyers. But if your told people that it was installed and gave them settings to turn the program off totally, tell it to not run say when your watching a movie, or set the level at which its running: then I feel there would be few that have a problem with it. Give them choices (settings) and I couldn't see much disagreement with installing it by default and obviously tell customers its there. Yeah hopefully we can get some attention towards it, if I may be so bold dont be afraid to tell people about it if you feel it is a viable idea especially when considering the things I just stated. I never really thought about the hole talking about how to save people while I virtually kill people but I do see where you are coming from. Maybe next time I do something like this I could just create diagrams instead of showing fps footage in the background. Thanks for giving your 2 cents and hopefully this will gain a little steam and at least plant the idea in Sony's and Microsoft's head.