Ez debug CPU lights flashes once and then PC shuts off.

I got a new case, the Lian li Lancool II mesh performance. I took all of my hardware from my old case and simply placed it in to the lian li case. Now the PC won’t turn on at all unless I clear the CMOS. Even then the ez debug CPU light only flashes once and then everything shuts off. 

Since then, I have attempted to boot with and without the GPU, with and without my SSD, I’ve tried with and without the AIO, in and out of the case, inside of the old case, new PSU cables and old cables, new PSU, with only one RAM stick and in different slots, I’ve reseated my CPU and confirmed no bent pins, and I’ve fully rebuild the PC 5 times now just to see if I could possibly find any broken or damaged parts/wires. I’m sure I’ve tried other things, but I’ve tried so many I feel like I’m missing some.

I could really use the help on getting this darn PC to work. I’m so lost. My current theory is that somehow my bios went corrupt, but since my intel mother board doesn’t have a flash button and doesn’t post, idk how to flash it. Second guess is that the mother board was some how shorted and bricked itself.

PC parts:

Intel 9900K

ASUS Tough Gaming 3070

MSI Z390 Pro Carbon AC

Corsair RMX 850

Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB 3200mhz

Corsair H100i pro AIO

Corsair LL120s with a fan hub 

Samsung 870evo pro 1TB - x3

Check the inside of the new chassis. Did you leave any extra motherboard stand-off that doesn't need to be there?

4 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

Check the inside of the new chassis. Did you leave any extra motherboard stand-off that doesn't need to be there?

I did double check, only 9 stand offs are installed. I did also try it outside of the case with no better results.

5 minutes ago, BOSSAROSA said:

I did double check, only 9 stand offs are installed. I did also try it outside of the case with no better results.

If a short happened in the wrong place sometimes it's a one and done deal. like the CPU or RAM expecting something like 1.25V and getting 12V instead. RIP.

Do you have any spare parts you can test with? Different RAM, motherboard, PSU, GPU, etc?

16 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

If a short happened in the wrong place sometimes it's a one and done deal. like the CPU or RAM expecting something like 1.25V and getting 12V instead. RIP.

Do you have any spare parts you can test with? Different RAM, motherboard, PSU, GPU, etc?

I have tried all the spare parts I had. Minus the CPU and motherboard.

CPU's are normally quite resilient so more than likely it's something with the motherboard.

Have you tried an open testbed (motherboard box) with the setup:

• No GPU
  • One stick of RAM.
  • Motherboard 20+4 pin w/ 8-pin EPS
  • Absolutely nothing else connected to PSU.

Same behavior or does it turn over?

If you get the same behavior:

• remove CPU 8-pin. Only cable attached to anything being the 20+4.

If at this point it still does the same thing I'd have to pronounce the motherboard dead assuming you don't just have a shorted fan. Would the board happen to still be under warranty?

On 6/17/2022 at 3:14 AM, Windows7ge said:

CPU's are normally quite resilient so more than likely it's something with the motherboard.

• No GPU
  • One stick of RAM.

If at this point it still does the same thing I'd have to pronounce the motherboard dead assuming you don't just have a shorted fan. Would the board happen to still be under warranty?

I did try that and yes the same results. I pressed the power button, CPU light blinks, fans spin, RGB turns on, and then it shuts itself. Seems to be turning itself off for self protection. 

30 minutes ago, BOSSAROSA said:

I did try that and yes the same results. I pressed the power button, CPU light blinks, fans spin, RGB turns on, and then it shuts itself. Seems to be turning itself off for self protection. 

Then all I can assume is something happened to the motherboard between removing it from the old case and putting it inside the new one because at this point you would try all of your existing hardware but with a different motherboard. If everything works. Dead motherboard.

22 hours ago, Windows7ge said:

Then all I can assume is something happened to the motherboard between removing it from the old case and putting it inside the new one because at this point you would try all of your existing hardware but with a different motherboard. If everything works. Dead motherboard.

So I did something. I tried the PSU paper clip test. With and without load the computer works well. As soon as I connect the 24 pin to the MOBO it stops posting.

34 minutes ago, BOSSAROSA said:

So I did something. I tried the PSU paper clip test. With and without load the computer works well. As soon as I connect the 24 pin to the MOBO it stops posting.

I'm a little confused. The 24 pin powers a wide array of functions on the motherboard including providing PCI_e power. My experience says you shouldn't be able to POST let-alone reach your OS without the 24-pin.

So in your words with everything connected Dr.Debug would flash briefly then nothing else. You said the process you used to reset the system was to clear CMOS before it'd let you do it again?

At any point in time did you have to flip the switch on your PSU before you could try again?

I ask because:

• If yes: Something is shorting the PSU. This could be the PSU or the Motherboard.
  • If no: Everything still points at the motherboard being defective.

I would try another PSU if you haven't already. Afterwords I would remove the motherboard and perform a through visual inspection. Everything was fine before you moved it to the new chassis. Look for scratches, dents, nics, anything that might indicate a short, or anything that looks broken off/damaged.

Worst comes to worst, if there's absolutely no visual indicators check if the board is still under warranty and RMA it.

• 1 year later...
On 6/16/2022 at 1:14 PM, Windows7ge said:

• No GPU
  • One stick of RAM.

Here almost one year later and I was able to get my server with identical issues to atleast not flash when I only had the 20pin connected, what could this indicate?

8 hours ago, HomeLabAddict said:

Here almost one year later and I was able to get my server with identical issues to atleast not flash when I only had the 20pin connected, what could this indicate?

The EPS 4 or 4+4 pin powers the CPU. It could point at a board problem involving power delivery to the CPU. i.e. the VRMs.