Is my external hard drive dead? Can i fix it?

The Torrent

It started with utorrent saying ' Data Error (cyclic redundancy check).

I ran chkdsk. it took ages to get to stage 3, then it said 'unable to read security descriptors'

since then, if i plug it into my pc, it shows on task manager as 100% active time, however it does not show up in This PC.

It did at one point for a few seconds, but then it just said cant open does not exist.

What do i do next?

5 hours ago, Mel0nMan said:

Does it show up in Diskpart > List Disk or Disk Management? Could be as simple as a corrupted filesystem or could be totally screwed.

OMG i unplugged it and replugged it a bunch of times and

image.thumb.png.cd2e098c51634fd5efeacec3c9502127.png

its here?!?

if i go anything to it in windows explorer including right clicking on it, windows explorer crashes.

also its not showing in crystaldiskinfo

what next?

edit: clicking properties on it in disk management crashed it. also the reason its got a little 16gb and random partitions is cuz it used to be a windows drive like 5 years back and i never uninstalled windows or anything.

10 minutes ago, The Torrent said:

OMG i unplugged it and replugged it a bunch of times and

image.thumb.png.cd2e098c51634fd5efeacec3c9502127.png

its here?!?

if i go anything to it in windows explorer including right clicking on it, windows explorer crashes.

also its not showing in crystaldiskinfo

what next?

edit: clicking properties on it in disk management crashed it. also the reason its got a little 16gb and random partitions is cuz it used to be a windows drive like 5 years back and i never uninstalled windows or anything.

Unplugging it and plugging it in repeatedly isn't helping anything. Use HWiNFO to check its SMART. 

2 hours ago, Mel0nMan said:

Unplugging it and plugging it in repeatedly isn't helping anything. Use HWiNFO to check its SMART. 

i used crystal disk info to check, it didnt detect it.

i tried running HWINFO. it just crashed. froze as soon as i clicked run.

2 hours ago, Mel0nMan said:

Disk seems borked, unfortunately. 

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

how does this even happen? like any idea whats wrong with the drive that makes it crash when i plug it in?

weird thing is at least i could open it before i ran chkdsk for the first time. since then its been dead.

7 minutes ago, The Torrent said:

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

how does this even happen? like any idea whats wrong with the drive that makes it crash when i plug it in?

weird thing is at least i could open it before i ran chkdsk for the first time. since then its been dead.

What model is it? Let me guess, Seagate? Or a WD My Passport? Those tend to be rather unreliable. It's due to a mechanical failure, you can't fix it. 

Quick demonstration of what's probably happening inside the drive. Hear any repetitive, irregular clicking? 

20 minutes ago, Mel0nMan said:

What model is it? Let me guess, Seagate? Or a WD My Passport? Those tend to be rather unreliable. It's due to a mechanical failure, you can't fix it. 

Quick demonstration of what's probably happening inside the drive. Hear any repetitive, irregular clicking? 

so i didnt but then i started messing with it and long story short its deffo broken now

35 minutes ago, Mel0nMan said:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/sXPQHseg1qFhqwiT9

what do you think was wrong with it? it was 2.5inch wd blue

If chkdsk didn't make the problem go away, then I'm guessing there is some physical damage involved because chkdsk is usually pretty reliable in resolving these types of issues. So you should probably look to back your stuff up in other ways before it shits the bed entirely. Use Microsoft One Drive or something. 

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte AMD X570 Auros Master
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
    Samsung SSD 860 QVO 2TB - HDD Seagate B arracuda 1TB - External Seagate HDD 8TB
  • PSU
    G.Skill RipJaws 1250 Watts
  • Keyboard
    Corsair Gaming Keyboard K55
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10