NZXT H1 V2 3080 Build

Go to solution Solved by Origami Cactus,

If the focus is heavily vr and gaming, especially for the money you are paying for the motherboard and ram, you could get the faster and much more power efficient 5800x3D and an Asus Strix b550-i. It has less usb ports, but it is one of the only itx motherboards with the front panel type-C connectors needed for the H1 case. You could pair that CPU with any old DDR4 3600mhz CL16, and it would be better for vr.

Then use the extra saved money to get the 12GB variant of RTX 3080.

The SSD's are fine, can't really go wrong with Samsung.

Budget (including currency): 2500$ to 3000$

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Heavy AAA titles, VR, 4K etc

Hey,

Wanted to build a new PC using the nzxt h1 case. I put together a part list. Just want to make sure they are optimal.

Things I care about with this build :

1) Heaving gaming focused, VR, 4k.
2) wanted to use Nzxt h1 v2 case. Comes with psu and CPU cooler (I believe they cover these specs?)

Things I am not sure about :

1) Motherboard might be overkill? I do like the selection of USB ports, but I'm assuming that I'm not making full use of those pcie 5 ports. Downgrade?
2) Are the SSDs I selected good? I'm happy with the space. Boot drive will have the OS and maybe a couple of games, other drive will have media and non critical games.
3) I am aware of 40 series being close to release. Though I don't think I'm interested? Expectations shows that these cards are very power hungry and also I assume not going to fit in the Nzxt case so idk if I wanna really  wait. I'd rather just get the 3080 now. Trying to time things is starting to get exhausting and sucking the fun out of things. I just want to play. Any recommendations to wait for the 40 series?
4) I have used Intel in the past, and don't have experience with amd. If anyone has an amd recommendation that may fit better, I am willing to check it out. Good reasons to stick with the 12700k is also welcome.
5) I don't mind upgrading to get a better deal and I don't mind downgrading if the feature is really not needed.

Any other thoughts would also be appreciated!

I'm upgrading from a 7700k and GTX 1070 which I have had for a while.

Case NZXT H1 Version 2 - CS-H11BB-US - Small Form-Factor ITX Case - Dual Chamber Airflow - Tinted Tempered Glass Front Panel - 140mm Liquid Cooler - SFX 750W 80+ Gold PSU - PCIe Gen4 Riser - Black 399.99$

Motherboard: MSI MEG Z690I Unify Gaming Motherboard (Mini ITX, 12th Gen Intel Core, LGA 1700 Socket, DDR5, PCIe 5, 2.5G LAN, M.2 Slots, Wi-Fi 6E) 399.99$

CPU : Intel Core i7-12700K Desktop Processor 12 (8P+4E) Cores up to 5.0 GHz Unlocked  LGA1700 600 Series Chipset 125W 379.99$

Memory : Kingston Fury Beast 32GB (2x16GB) 5200MHz DDR5 CL40 Kit of 2 Desktop Memory KF552C40BBK2-32 193.51$

Boot Drive : SAMSUNG 970 EVO Plus SSD 1TB, M.2 NVMe Interface Internal Solid State Hard Drive with V-NAND Technology for Gaming, Graphic Design, MZ-V7S1T0B/AM 104.99$

Extra Storage : SAMSUNG 970 EVO Plus SSD 2TB - M.2 NVMe Interface Internal Solid State Drive with V-NAND Technology (MZ-V7S2T0B/AM) 189.99$

Graphic Card : MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 3080 LHR 10GB GDRR6X 320-Bit HDMI/DP Nvlink Torx Fan 3 Ampere Architecture OC Graphics Card (RTX 3080 Ventus 3X Plus 10G OC LHR) 833.99$

Total : 2502.45$

Edited by zohebhynus
Fixing Links and formatting

If the focus is heavily vr and gaming, especially for the money you are paying for the motherboard and ram, you could get the faster and much more power efficient 5800x3D and an Asus Strix b550-i. It has less usb ports, but it is one of the only itx motherboards with the front panel type-C connectors needed for the H1 case. You could pair that CPU with any old DDR4 3600mhz CL16, and it would be better for vr.

The SSD's are fine, can't really go wrong with Samsung.

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

12 minutes ago, Origami Cactus said:

@Origami Cactus I had read online that the 10 gb to 12 gb jump is there to mostly increase the price of the part and not really help with performance. Do you know if that bump is worth it? If there is value I may upgrade.

1) Motherboard might be overkill? I do like the selection of USB ports, but I'm assuming that I'm not making full use of those pcie 5 ports. Downgrade?

Unless you really think you will use all of those ports and don't want to use a USB hub, I would down grade.  

4) I don't mind upgrading to get a better deal and I don't mind downgrading if the feature is really not needed.

Any other thoughts would also be appreciated!

-Unless you know the programs you will be using will take advantage of 32GB of ram, I would set with 16GB. That is to say so long as you have the option to add my RAM in the future.

-Your RAM cost for even 16 GB seems a little high. Only certain programs benefit from high RAM speed.   

2 minutes ago, zohebhynus said:

@Origami Cactus I had read online that the 10 gb to 12 gb jump is there to mostly increase the price of the part and not really help with performance. Do you know if that bump is worth it? If there is value I may upgrade.

I mean, you can get the 12gb variant for 100$ cheaper, so yeah the 2gb extra vram and 4% more cuda cores is worth it.

https://www.newegg.com/msi-geforce-rtx-3080-rtx-3080-ventus-3x-plus-12g-oc-lhr/p/N82E16814137712?Item=N82E16814137712&nm_mc=AFC-RAN-COM&cm_mmc=AFC-RAN-COM&utm_medium=affiliates&utm_source=afc-PCPartPicker&AFFID=2558510&AFFNAME=PCPartPicker&ACRID=1&ASID=https%3a%2f%2fpcpartpicker.com%2f&ranMID=44583&ranEAID=2558510&ranSiteID=8BacdVP0GFs-8tw2C64Zpj3.s04j8gyLag

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

@Origami Cactus LOL! Fair enough! thanks for the link.
Also regarding the other stuff you said :

5800x3D with Asus Strix b550-i and ddr4 ram I assume is the optimization. cpu more powerful with different motherboard and ddr4 ram which is more than enough gaming requirements. Not to mention, motherboard has the front panel type c connector. Thanks! I'll make these changes.

@PCPartPickerPro9171787 Yeah, I see that the motherboard is overkill. I had put in the ddr5 ram because it was within budget, but I guess I really have no need for it, so I will downgrade that with the motherboard. Thanks.