CPU for dedicated streaming PC

Go to solution Solved by Beerzerker,

A 5900X should be plenty for that use, I can stream just fine with a Ryzen 2600 no prob so a 5900X chip would have it covered.

What is the best CPU for a dedicated streaming PC before it becomes overkill? Just basic streams with one camera and maybe a little lighting. Nothing fancy going on in streamlabs obs. I was looking at the i7 12700k and Ryzen 9 5900x but I don’t think I need all that. Would the i7 10700k be enough or should I stick to ryzen? 

1 hour ago, Jordanvt45 said:

What is the best CPU for a dedicated streaming PC before it becomes overkill? Just basic streams with one camera and maybe a little lighting. Nothing fancy going on in streamlabs obs. I was looking at the i7 12700k and Ryzen 9 5900x but I don’t think I need all that. Would the i7 10700k be enough or should I stick to ryzen? 

I know of 3 ways to stream.  You can do it from a cpu, a dedicated video card, or a plug in specific streaming card.  For the gpu solution you need nvenc or whatever AMD’s equivelant is.  For a video capture card you need a free pcie slot and enough spare power from the PSU to run the card.  There are no processor requirements to speak of.  For cpu based streaming a 12700k is more than enough.  I was thinking 20100.  With streaming taking let’s say 4 threads, which is generous, you’ve still got 4 left to do other things.  If you want to stream video games you need 10 threads free, preferably fast ones.  I might look at a 12600k because the OS can run on the ecores and perhaps the streaming will too.  Most current games usually need 6 threads, so assuming double that there would still be room.  If you want to stream games that haven’t been made yet there is an argument for a 12700.  I don’t see how a 12900k would net you much of anything over a 12700, but for basic video streaming with no games a 12100 is fine.

takes 2 cores 

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

What is better when it comes to streaming? More cores or just how fast it is? 

I’ve settled for the i9 9900k against the ryzen 9 3900x…what should I choose? This is for a dedicated streaming PC because I already have the gaming PC built. 

i only say 9900k because I won’t have to buy a new motherboard or cooler. 3900x I would have to purchase a new MOB and cooler. 

2 hours ago, Jordanvt45 said:

What is better when it comes to streaming? More cores or just how fast it is? 

I’ve settled for the i9 9900k against the ryzen 9 3900x…what should I choose? This is for a dedicated streaming PC because I already have the gaming PC built. 

i only say 9900k because I won’t have to buy a new motherboard or cooler. 3900x I would have to purchase a new MOB and cooler. 

If you are using your graphics card for encoding, the impact of streaming on the CPU will be minimal and the 9900K will be plenty.

What cpu do you have now?

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

14 hours ago, YoungBlade said:

If you are using your graphics card for encoding, the impact of streaming on the CPU will be minimal and the 9900K will be plenty.

What are you saying? I stated that it is for a dedicated streaming PC..no one would ever use NVENC with an I9 9900k on a dedicated streaming PC 

12 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

What cpu do you have now?

I don’t have a CPU for this build ..that’s why I am asking these questions?? 

5 hours ago, Jordanvt45 said:

I don’t have a CPU for this build ..that’s why I am asking these questions?? 

So you’ve got a 9th gen board sitting about but no cpu to put in it?

16 hours ago, Jordanvt45 said:

What are you saying? I stated that it is for a dedicated streaming PC..no one would ever use NVENC with an I9 9900k on a dedicated streaming PC 

Okay, I misunderstood. You're asking whether to use a 9900K or a 3900X for just a steam PC? As in, just the box that sends your video output to the Internet?

That's sort of like asking whether you should use a crowbar or a stick of dynamite to open your refrigerator. The answer is "neither."

If you have an Intel 300 series mobo, but you have no CPU for it, just get the cheapest Core series CPU you can find - i3 8100, i5 9400F, whatever - and it'll be more than sufficient for sending your video to the Internet. If you do have a CPU, whatever you have will be fine unless it's a Celeron. Even a Pentium could probably do it, although it'd be right on the edge.

Why do you want a dedicated streaming PC? If you can afford i9/R9 levels of CPU for a dedicated stream PC, why can't your gaming PC just encode the stream itself?

A 5900X should be plenty for that use, I can stream just fine with a Ryzen 2600 no prob so a 5900X chip would have it covered.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

3 hours ago, YoungBlade said:

Okay, I misunderstood. You're asking whether to use a 9900K or a 3900X for just a steam PC? As in, just the box that sends your video output to the Internet?

That's sort of like asking whether you should use a crowbar or a stick of dynamite to open your refrigerator. The answer is "neither."

If you have an Intel 300 series mobo, but you have no CPU for it, just get the cheapest Core series CPU you can find - i3 8100, i5 9400F, whatever - and it'll be more than sufficient for sending your video to the Internet. If you do have a CPU, whatever you have will be fine unless it's a Celeron. Even a Pentium could probably do it, although it'd be right on the edge.

Why do you want a dedicated streaming PC? If you can afford i9/R9 levels of CPU for a dedicated stream PC, why can't your gaming PC just encode the stream itself?

Steam pc and stream pc are two very different things. (Though I suppose one could want to stream with a steam pc)  Iirc this was a stream pc.  Looks like just a typo, but if it’s a steam pc he wants not a stream pc the requirements would be totally different.

36 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Steam pc and stream pc are two very different things. (Though I suppose one could want to stream with a steam pc)  Iirc this was a stream pc.  Looks like just a typo, but if it’s a steam pc he wants not a stream pc the requirements would be totally different.

Streaming PC. I want to stream on twitch at 1080p with medium to high settings. 

1 minute ago, Jordanvt45 said:

My mistake. It was a typo 😅 “STREAM” haha sorry for the confusion 

No worries.  I was concerned I was talking about the wrong thing.  That has happened before.

14 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

No worries.  I was concerned I was talking about the wrong thing.  That has happened before.

Just went with the I9 9900k..not going to stress it. That should be plenty 

26 minutes ago, Jordanvt45 said:

Way way more than enough.  You could undervolt the snot out of that thing and it would still be more than enough.

That should do it with power to spare.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.