Best Streaming Device

Since moving to full time PC gamer, my old Xbox One has been my faithful media streaming device for my living room. The ole machine hit popped me with the magic smoke and is now on the other side. So I am looking for a media device replacement. I don't have a fancy TV so I don't need 4k or HDR capabilities. What do yall consider the best all around streaming device that's not overkill like Linus's favorite Nvidia shield?

Also I have a steamlink, but most streaming services don't work on it other screen mirroring devices.

A second part to this, quick Google search has all your tech review websites saying the answer is a Roku, so I piggy back off the recent Wan show, why is this mentioned more than the chromecast or firesticks?

My favorite streaming device is "insert random small mini pc here". Thats what I've always used a generic windows computer with one of those logitech keyboard + trackpad combis.

could also just get a used xbox one again for about 100$

Personally my favorite streaming device is the Roku 1 

Have two Roku TV's here, and for overall ease/responsiveness of use and access to channels/apps they are hard to beat.

I had a first-gen Chromecast back in the day and used it for a couple of years, for what I paid I couldn't complain, but it eventually became unreliable. Of course the thing you have to understand with Chromecast is that all it does is stream from another device (phone/PC/whatever). You have to have that device near you streaming whatever you want to watch on the TV. Just about any modern smart TV also has casting built in if you just want to quickly throw a YT video from your phone up on the screen, anyway.

Never used a Fire Stick, I'm sure it's probably fine.

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

2 minutes ago, Kettu said:

Personally my favorite streaming device is the Roku 1 

Why is it your favorite compared to others?

1 minute ago, quadeagle55 said:

Why is it your favorite compared to others?

Well I just like that it is simple to use and all of the remotes are interchangeable and it's small

Best for:

Roku: for easiest to use

Firestick: for "unauthorized" APKs

Nvidia Sheild: best performance if money is no object.

Also consider a galaxy s10 with a bad esn from ebay connected to a usb-c hub. I'm a big fan of Samsung dex.

https://youtu.be/TjuhdQGzbGU

5 minutes ago, Sat1600 said:

Best for:

Roku: for easiest to use

Firestick: for "unauthorized" APKs

Nvidia Sheild: best performance if money is no object.

Also consider a galaxy s10 with a bad esn from ebay connected to a usb-c hub. I'm a big fan of Samsung dex.

https://youtu.be/TjuhdQGzbGU

What do you mean by "unauthorized"

7 minutes ago, Kettu said:

What do you mean by "unauthorized"

I believe Sat1600 is referring to doing a Captain Jack Sparrow cosplay using your firestick

3 minutes ago, Sat1600 said:

They are also stupid cheap

Fire TV Stick 4K streaming device with Alexa Voice Remote - $24.99 - Free shipping for Prime members

https://electronics.woot.com/offers/fire-tv-stick-4k-streaming-device-with-alexa-voice-remote-13?utm_medium=share&utm_source=app

nVidia Shield > ChromeCast with GoogleTV > most Rokus > older ChromeCast

At least in my limited experience/exposure.

I find that older people tend to like Roku a bit more though.

3900x | 32GB RAM | RTX 2080

1.5TB Optane P4800X | 2TB Micron 1100 SSD | 16TB NAS w/ 10Gbe
QN90A | Polk R200, ELAC OW4.2, PB12-NSD, SB1000, HD800

See this twitter thread for an update.

Please use the tag #ChromecastCantSignIn on social media to keep pressure on Youtube to restore sign in ability to as many of the early Chromecast models as possible.

32 minutes ago, David_NZheretic said:

The latest Youtube upgrade for  Chromecast has removed the ability to sign in to YouTube  on the Chromecast

So on the Chromecast Youtube settings randomly reset to default, so Autoplay sometimes cannot be disabled from your mobile device & if your a Premium YouTube  member ads can randomly appear, all the time if your using the Youtube App remote, the latter useless to access your subscriptions, history , customised recommendations etc.

Oh by the way, you cannot even buy a Chromecast with Google TV from Google's own store website in NZ - they are still selling the now non-functioning Chromecast (3rd generation) which doesn't even support the resolution of the Chromecast Ultra. #ChromecastCantSignIn

I never said Google was perfect, haha.
Once upon a time I actually worked in a group at Google related to hardware... I quit right before i was going to be analyzing customer surveys on CC.

There are definitely reasons to think that smaller countries aren't first class citizens when it comes to product distribution. It's HARD to get stuff to places like NZ in particular for ANY company.

3900x | 32GB RAM | RTX 2080

1.5TB Optane P4800X | 2TB Micron 1100 SSD | 16TB NAS w/ 10Gbe
QN90A | Polk R200, ELAC OW4.2, PB12-NSD, SB1000, HD800