Will any WLAN card work in a laptop?

da na

Will any WLAN card (that fits in the same slot of course) work in any laptop? Family members bought a new router and asked to upgrade an 802.11n Asus laptop to 802.11ac, can it be done? Mini PCIe half size is the slot IIRC. I have some AC cards from Intel and Realtek lying around, the existing card is a Realtek also. Can I just swap it in and be on my way, or are laptops locked to certain WLAN card models? (Sorry for the stupid question, I've never had to upgrade a WLAN card before, just replace with exact replacements.)
Any help would be appreciated!

Unfortunately it can depend. Some models or brands lock things down and others don't. I would search the exact model + wifi card swap and see if others have done similar and had good/bad results. You could just try to swap in the card and see if it works without issue, worst case you just have to put the old one back in.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

1 minute ago, Lurick said:

Unfortunately it can depend. Some models or brands lock things down and others don't. I would search the exact model + wifi card swap and see if others have done similar and had good/bad results. You could just try to swap in the card and see if it works without issue, worst case you just have to put the old one back in.

OK good to know. I assume nothing will catch on fire just by putting the wrong card in?

Edit: Asus has a Realtek, Intel, and Broadcom card listed as options in the service manual so hopefully not locked down...

1 minute ago, Mel0nMan said:

OK good to know. I assume nothing will catch on fire just by putting the wrong card in?

Nope, worst case the BIOS will just not talk to it or the OS won't see it but you can swap the old one back in and you're good. Just be careful with those damn antennas, they're small as heck and can be a pain to work with sometimes. Also check the color wire matches the key on the card.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

2 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Also check the color wire matches the key on the card.

Just offering my two cents on this: it usually doesn't matter too too much. I know laptops can have differently sized antennas (so you might want to give the one with more antenna-ness to WiFi as opposed to Bluetooth), but I have yet to do it in a way that actually hurts performance enough to care.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Just now, flibberdipper said:

Just offering my two cents on this: it usually doesn't matter too too much. I know laptops can have differently sized antennas (so you might want to give the one with more antenna-ness to WiFi as opposed to Bluetooth), but I have yet to do it in a way that actually hurts performance enough to care.

Yah, the few ones I have worked with were just aux is 1 and main is the other, I doubt it really matters too but just something to keep in mind if it does somehow impact it although there are some out there that only have 1 to begin with so in that case definitely want main on the card instead of aux.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

ASUS do not whitelist WiFi cards, so it comes down to if its CNVIo or PCIe.

Some laptops with CNVIo cards will work with PCIe ones too, others wont.  Because apparently Intel thought it was just too easy being able to simply swap in any card.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

13 hours ago, Mel0nMan said:

and asked to upgrade an 802.11n Asus laptop to 802.11ac

An ASUS laptop with that old a wireless card is unlikely to care, as long as the form factor remains the same.

Hopefully, the laptop also has built-in 5GHz antenna to take advantage of wireless-AC.