Router Recomendations

Khoomn

So my parents are interested in getting a router instead of paying our ISP $15-20 a month to rent their router. I want to use pfSense because I like it and I mostly understand it. There are many options for me to get but what I don't know specifically is what router is good for VPNs. I want to get a router that can support around 500-1000Mbps through vpn, most im seeing are around 150-200Mbps through vpn. My budget is around $150-200. Also need a router with wifi capabilities as they don't want to buy a seperate AP

Do you actually need more than 200Mbps throughput on the VPN?

Even if you were to go with pfSense, which is cheap and handles IPSec fairly well, you are looking at at least a FW6B or equivalent to get ~500Mbps IPSec throughput. That's ~600 dollars just for the firewall, without any Wi-Fi.

At that point I'd just recommend a FortiGate 40F. They cost ~530 USD on Amazon and does 4.4Gbps of IPSec VPN throughput. It can also do switching in hardware, unlike pfSense, which I assume you will want since you want something that does everything.

If you really want pfSense for some reason, then you are going to have to get a separate AP. pfSense's Wi-Fi support is awful. You don't want to use it.

I strongly suggest you lower your requirements when it comes to VPN throughput.

You don't need 500-1000Mbps of throughput. It might be cool to have, but you don't need it.

Honestly, if I were you I'd probably just get the Asus RT-AX55. It's 100 dollars on Amazon.  

It's a cheap Wi-Fi 6 router that does everything I think most people need. According to this video you should be able to get over 800Mbps of VPN throughput if you use IPsec.