Need help to find the right Tv

Alex Moisan
Go to solution Solved by Zomeguy,

I have the Hisense U6G for 6 months and it's been working well. It's really hard to beat for image quality for the price. The smart tv functions aren't that great as it's a little sluggish but I never use that aspect so can't comment long term use as it's always hooked up to a pc which I stream video from.

Hi ! So I recently moved to an appartment and I would like to buy a TV. The problem is that I know a lot about gaming monitors, but when it comes to TV, since I dont game on it, I dont know much.

I have a budget of 400-700$ US (With taxes of course), but I can put a small extra if its VERY worth it.

The TV will primarly be used for watching show/anime/movie and will (very very rarely) be used for gaming on a switch.

4k is necessary for me and i would like it to have nice colors. It will be used in both dark and bright room, but it will never be directlt hit by sunlight and will be used more in dark room. I am thinking about getting a 50" or 55". The smart TV is an extra but not necessary at all. It will not be mounted.

I normally look at Sony, LG and Samsung for TVs, but I read a lot about Hisense recently. I see a lot of recommandations for the Hisense U6G, U7G and U8G. I also saw the LG 55NANO75 !

I am open to any recommandation, but I wont lie, I very rarely try less known brand like Hisense/TCL.

Let me know if you need more informations ! Thanks a lot :)

You can't go wrong with the recommendations from this forum or Rtings. But if you want to get into QLED, I just recommended in another forum the Samsung Q60 line. I own a 43" Samsung Q60T (2020 version) and love it. Didn't need a huge TV myself, but colors pop and look good with Switch. It also makes it on the Rtings honorable mentions for best budget TVs. The 50" version is on Amazon for about $600 right now: https://www.amazon.com/SAMSUNG-50-inch-Class-QLED-Built/dp/B0849P657W

5600x/RTX 4080

“1. Never tell everything at once.” - Ken Venturi's Two Great Rules of Life

I have the Hisense U6G for 6 months and it's been working well. It's really hard to beat for image quality for the price. The smart tv functions aren't that great as it's a little sluggish but I never use that aspect so can't comment long term use as it's always hooked up to a pc which I stream video from.

Around here, 48'' and 55'' oleds start around 700.-, now

I'm willing to swim against the current.

48 minutes ago, leclod said:

Around here, 48'' and 55'' oleds start around 700.-, now

It doesnt have to be Oled ! Led/Qled is fine 

57 minutes ago, Zomeguy said:

Okay ! I will try to find more information about this one 🙂 ! Is it good in both dark and bright environment ? 

1 hour ago, varrys said:

You can't go wrong with the recommendations from this forum or Rtings. But if you want to get into QLED, I just recommended in another forum the Samsung Q60 line. I own a 43" Samsung Q60T (2020 version) and love it. Didn't need a huge TV myself, but colors pop and look good with Switch. It also makes it on the Rtings honorable mentions for best budget TVs. The 50" version is on Amazon for about $600 right now: https://www.amazon.com/SAMSUNG-50-inch-Class-QLED-Built/dp/B0849P657W

Will look ! Thankss

OLED give you next level of viewing experience. Highly recommended a 55" or 65" OLED and above. 

OLED is spectacular in HDR performance, they is no worried the performance in HDR. NO FALD required as it dimming in every pixel. FALD try to mimic the OLED True Black but only OLED is real true black. 

New OLED all is 120hz and VRR support and it is a fully games device, even though you may not using now but it is another advance add on for future. 

If you watch Netflix or Disney+, to enjoy Dolby Vision which I find the best implementation in HDR. Get any OLED TV from any brand but not Samsung as Samsung is the only brand not support Dolby Vision as Samsung out own format HDR10+ which rarely use by streaming platform (only Amazon Prime Video) or physical media. 

I will not recommended QLED as expensive range Q80 or Q90 is very closed price with OLED. Low end Q60 series is not good and did not perform better than any budget TV. 

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 OC 24G, X570 AORUS Elite WIFI Motherboard, HyperX FURY 32GB DDR4-3200 RGB RAM, Creative Sound Blaster AE-9 Sound Card, Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 SATA 500GB, ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro M.2 SATA 2TB, Asus HyperX Fury RGB SSD 960GB, Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 3.5 HDD 2TB, Cooler Master MASTERLIQUID ML240R ARGB, Cooler Master MASTERFAN MF120R ARGB, Cooler Master ELV8 Graphics Card Holder ARGB, Asus ROG Strix 1000G PSU, Lian Li LANCOOL II MESH RGB Case, Windows 11 Pro (22H2).

Laptop: Asus Vivobook "A Bathing Ape" - ASUS Vivobook S 15 OLED BAPE Edition: Intel i9-13900H, 16 GB RAM, 15.6" 2.8K 120hz OLED | Apple MacBook Pro 14" 2023: M2 Pro, 16 GB RAM, NVMe 512 GB | Asus VivoBook 15 OLED: Intel® Core™ i3-1125G4, Intel UHD, 8 GB RAM, Micron NVMe 512 GB | Illegear Z5 SKYLAKE: Intel Core i7-6700HQ, Nvidia Geforce GTX 970M, 16 GB RAM, ADATA SU800 M.2 SATA 512GB.

Monitor: Samsung Odyssey OLED G9 49" 5120x1440 240hz QD-OLED HDR, LG OLED Flex 42LX3QPSA 41.5" 3840x2160 bendable 120hz WOLED, AOC 24G2SP 24" 1920x1080 165hz SDR, LG UltraGear Gaming Monitor 34" 34GN850 3440x1440 144hz (160hz OC) NanoIPS HDR, LG Ultrawide Gaming Monitor 34" 34UC79G 2560x1080 144hz IPS SDR, LG 24MK600 24" 1920x1080 75hz Freesync IPS SDR, BenQ EW2440ZH 24" 1920x1080 75hz VA SDR.

Input Device: Asus ROG Azoth Wireless Mechanical KeyboardAsus ROG Chakram X Origin Wireless MouseLogitech G913 Lightspeed Wireless RGB Mechanical Gaming Keyboard, Logitech G502X Wireless Mouse, Logitech G903 Lightspeed HERO Wireless Gaming Mouse, Logitech Pro X, Logitech MX Keys, Logitech MX Master 3, XBOX Wireless Controller Covert Forces Edition, Corsair K70 RAPIDFIRE Mechanical Gaming Keyboard, Corsair Dark Core RGB Pro SE Wireless Gaming Mouse, Logitech MK850 Wireless Keyboard & Mouse Combos.

Entertainment: LG 55" C9 OLED HDR Smart UHD TV with AI ThinQ®, 65" Samsung AU7000 4K UHD Smart TV, SONOS Beam (Gen 2) Dolby Atmos Soundbar, SONOS Sub Mini, SONOS Era 100 x2, SONOS Era 300 Dolby Atmos, Logitech G560 2.1 USB & Bluetooth Speaker, Logitech Z625 2.1 THX Speaker, Edifier M1370BT 2.1 Bluetooth Speaker, LG SK9Y 5.1.2 channel Dolby Atmos, Hi-Res Audio SoundBar, Sony MDR-Z1R, Bang & Olufsen Beoplay EX, Sony WF-1000XM5, Sony WH-1000XM5, Sony WH-1000XM4, Apple AirPods Pro, Samsung Galaxy Buds2, Nvidia Shield TV Pro (2019 edition), Apple TV 4K (2017 & 2021 Edition), Chromecast with Google TV, Sony UBP-X700 UltraHD Blu-ray, Panasonic DMP-UB400 UltraHD Blu-ray.

Mobile & Smart Watch: Apple iPhone 15 Pro Max (Natural Titanium), Apple Watch Series 8 Stainless Steel with Milanese Loop (Graphite).

Others Gadgets: Asus SBW-06D2X-U Blu-ray RW Drive, 70 TB Ext. HDD, j5create JVCU100 USB HD Webcam with 360° rotation, ZTE UONU F620, Maxis Fibre WiFi 6 Router, Fantech MPR800 Soft Cloth RGB Gaming Mousepad, Fantech Headset Headphone Stand AC3001S RGB Lighting Base Tower, Infiniteracer RGB Gaming Chair

My advice is to go to a showroom and look at the image quality right there, in person.

Ratings, recommendations, reviews cannot give you an accurate and clear idea of how good that TV model is.

Everyone's idea of what good image quality is varies, as well as what they can afford.

I would avoid OLED, because of long-term concerns about those organic diods degrading over time. It's inevitable, no matter how much the tech has improved.

Personally I got a Sony and it's been a great pick.

7 hours ago, TudorF said:

My advice is to go to a showroom and look at the image quality right there, in person.

Ratings, recommendations, reviews cannot give you an accurate and clear idea of how good that TV model is.

Better than any showroom can. Show TV's are often in some vivid oversaturated and overly bright picture mode which doesn't represent any of the standard picture modes you're going to use.

Everyone's idea of what good image quality is varies, as well as what they can afford.

Luckily all movies are mastered with the same standards, so it's in fact really easy to make out what TV will have the best picture quality just by looking at a review that includes numbers.

I would avoid OLED, because of long-term concerns about those organic diods degrading over time. It's inevitable, no matter how much the tech has improved.

It's also inevitable that an LCD backlight fails. It's inevitable than something in a TV fails after years of useage. Depending on the use case an OLED TV can last as long or longer than an LCD TV.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

RTINGS is the best source to find what TV works best for you. The Hisense U6G is a very good overall budget TV.

If you're not quite happy with their broad recommendations, use thier custom rating tool to find the best TV for your needs. Just add different room conditions, useage and your budget as a price filter and it will find the best fit for you.

Edit Rating - RTINGS.com

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

On 6/8/2022 at 1:57 PM, Alex Moisan said:

Okay ! I will try to find more information about this one 🙂 ! Is it good in both dark and bright environment ? 

Yes I have a window just a couple feet from it on my left and unless the sun is shining directly on it I have no issues seeing anything. It seems to have a good anti glare coating. Works great in the dark as well.

13 hours ago, Stahlmann said:

RTINGS is the best source to find what TV works best for you. The Hisense U6G is a very good overall budget TV.

If you're not quite happy with their broad recommendations, use thier custom rating tool to find the best TV for your needs. Just add different room conditions, useage and your budget as a price filter and it will find the best fit for you.

Edit Rating - RTINGS.com

Yes this is pretty much what I did. Looked at their ratings as I was just wanting a TV with a good screen and didn't care about the Smart TV aspect and then checked the options out in store when I could and decided on the U6G or U68G as it's known here in Canada.

I wouldn't use those sites because often big electronics companies that make TVs have separate versions for different regions. And those sites reflect what you have in your Anglosphere markets.

Whereas for example companies like Samsung always build something different for Europe and particularly for Eastern Europe. Different codes, different model names and sometimes even different features are available.

That's why I never found those rating sites useful, as I live in Eastern Europe. They talk about models I can't find here and I don't find models rated on those sites that are available here.

That's why I recommended going in person at the showroom and actually checking out TV models, because frankly that's how you're going to experience your TV, in person. It doesn't matter that much that they're using overblown brightness and colours in store, because even in those modes you can still get an idea of what the units are capable of. Yes, show me a TV with its brightness bumped up all the way to max. That doesn't fool me, it shows me how bright that model can get.

Same for colours. Obviously I will not use it that way, but seeing how capable the TV is on maximum overblown settings gives you a good idea of its chromatic and brightness range.

Ratings can be useful when the raters are experienced, but it depends in which region they're based. They can only review stuff that is available in that location.

1 hour ago, TudorF said:

I wouldn't use those sites because often big electronics companies that make TVs have separate versions for different regions. And those sites reflect what you have in your Anglosphere markets.

Whereas for example companies like Samsung always build something different for Europe and particularly for Eastern Europe. Different codes, different model names and sometimes even different features are available.

That's why I never found those rating sites useful, as I live in Eastern Europe. They talk about models I can't find here and I don't find models rated on those sites that are available here.

That's why I recommended going in person at the showroom and actually checking out TV models, because frankly that's how you're going to experience your TV, in person. It doesn't matter that much that they're using overblown brightness and colours in store, because even in those modes you can still get an idea of what the units are capable of. Yes, show me a TV with its brightness bumped up all the way to max. That doesn't fool me, it shows me how bright that model can get.

Same for colours. Obviously I will not use it that way, but seeing how capable the TV is on maximum overblown settings gives you a good idea of its chromatic and brightness range.

Ratings can be useful when the raters are experienced, but it depends in which region they're based. They can only review stuff that is available in that location.

RTINGS reviews models based on US availability. That applies to most of the world with a few exceptions. Sure there are slightly different models for some regions. For example Samsung has the QN90A for the US and the QN95A for the EU market. Still, these models are pretty much the same other than one or two features. You can still get a good idea about the EU model's performance by reading the US model's review.

18 hours ago, Stahlmann said:

RTINGS reviews models based on US availability. That applies to most of the world with a few exceptions. Sure there are slightly different models for some regions. For example Samsung has the QN90A for the US and the QN95A for the EU market. Still, these models are pretty much the same other than one or two features. You can still get a good idea about the EU model's performance by reading the US model's review.

I think you need to check out a population map of Eastern vs western countries. It's about 4 to 1 in favor of Eastern countries. 

On 6/10/2022 at 1:06 AM, TudorF said:

I understand what you mean ! But I live in north america so I can find the models quite easily 🙂 Also, showroom tend to oversaturate everything and use very specific video 😕 But j made a choice, the Hisense U78G (U7G in the US) There is a special right now and its sellng for the same price as the U68G and is a little bit better ! Also, every forum pretty much recommend Hisense for price/quality !