Sleeping in headphones, earbuds, IEMs, etc.

adamblastia

I'm looking for something, big or small, to deliver me personal music or other audio as I drift into the land of Wynken, Blynken, and Nod.

I love my Sony XM4 buds, but they're a bit too bulky for the purpose.

No, I don't want those $20 headbands with the removable flat, tinny speaker-thingies and the control panel on your forehead.

I seem to remember Linus saying he slept in some comfy wireless earbuds from time to time.

A series of questions follow: 

Did he say which make/model?  

Are there some well-regarded products people like for this?  A submarket winner?

Anyone got a recommendation based on personal experience? 

I've never had Airpods or such, do they work for night-wear or just fall out?  

Is it OK to be sleeping in headphones or earbuds anyway?  Might I hurt my eardrums inadvertently?  

Are there any ambient or pass-thru options?  Might I die in a fire if they bang on my door in the middle of the night?  What about folks with babies?

All comments, light or otherwise: very welcome.

I'm the Guy Who:

• watches JayzTwoCents say Don't waste your money on a 12th gen if you're sticking to DDR4 -- right after having done so
  • nearly based his whole build on a GPU that needed liquid cooling! Yeah, I thought all that was just RGB
  • hasn't been a gamer since Skyrim and Dragon Age II and still blows $5k on a PC, eek
    • well it needed a ton of storage as the 1st backup for my 2nd Plex NAS
    • I want to start gaming again with the ol' open-world solo RPGs, but still. . . .
  • kept a Picard action figure in his backpack when he was a touring actor for. . . several years
    • people found it endearing. Just like I wanted them to. (Mwah-ha-ha-ha-ha)
    • unpack the luggage la. la. la. pack up the luggage. la. la. la. hi-ho the glamorous life
  • whose favorite album is the same as James Scully's! Once Upon a Time by Donna Summer! Play it loud!
  • remembers which Lord British and Infocom games he liked best: Ultima IV and Zork II
    • almost surely not the best ones, just where I racked up the hours
    • honorable elderly mentions go to Might & Magic 7 and Planetscape: Torment
      • Oh, Might & Magic
        • first person 
        • huge open-world
        • just one NPC, but thousands of copies!
          • dead eyes? check
          • forms clusters of himself in towns, like: hiya big boy? check
  • still has to bite his tongue living with his 90-year-old father
    • the man that over the years always sent me surprise Alienware desktops, bleh. . . .
      • Even the Dell ones, superbleh. . . .
  • has an ancient and mostly-mock nemesis in Hilary Rosen
    • Hilary Rosen! Slowly I turn. Step by step. Inch by inch.
    • The Woman Who Murdered File Sharing In the Crib!!
    • and Was Only a Mediocre Liberal Commentator on CNN!
  • paraphrases O'Neill, and not the one from Stargate: not even the makings of a creative, just the habits (and ego)
  • clearly needs an editor - verbose much?
  • writes the most about himself you're allowed to, under any circumstances, in this sig.  Say yeesh.  You're not wrong.

I need answers for a lot of these too!

Hoping sleeping with buds in will help me actually hear my alarm.

Almost pulled the trigger on the new SONY Linkbuds that were showcased on SC not too long ago.

Perfect for safety where I would need to be able to hear what's going on around.

Still debating though.

I was in the same boat. I had many earphones that hurts when sleeping and or resting my head and ear on the cushion when watching videos on my phone.

The only earphones that fits the bill for me is the Airpods non-Pro. I got the 2019 version I think.

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

Found *THIS* with a little more googling and thought I should share it. Haven't perused it yet.

I'd still love me some Linus community discussion & review of personal audio sleep products.

I'm a side-sleeper who switches sides all night long, so comfort's a thing.  And staying in place.  And I'm the caregiver for my very elderly parents, one with total dementia, so I'm not positive I should even wear sleeping buds/phones, but I'm really drawn to them.

I'm the Guy Who:

• watches JayzTwoCents say Don't waste your money on a 12th gen if you're sticking to DDR4 -- right after having done so
  • nearly based his whole build on a GPU that needed liquid cooling! Yeah, I thought all that was just RGB
  • hasn't been a gamer since Skyrim and Dragon Age II and still blows $5k on a PC, eek
    • I want to start gaming again with the ol' open-world solo RPGs, but still. . . .
  • kept a Picard action figure in his backpack when he was a touring actor for. . . several years
    • unpack the luggage la. la. la. pack up the luggage. la. la. la. hi-ho the glamorous life
  • whose favorite album is the same as James Scully's! Once Upon a Time by Donna Summer! Play it loud!
  • remembers which Lord British and Infocom games he liked best: Ultima IV and Zork II
      • Oh, Might & Magic
        • first person 
        • huge open-world
          • dead eyes? check
    • the man that over the years always sent me surprise Alienware desktops, bleh. . . .
  • paraphrases O'Neill, and not the one from Stargate: not even the makings of a creative, just the habits (and ego)
  • writes the most about himself you're allowed to, under any circumstances, in this sig.  Say yeesh.  You're not wrong.

Linus sleeps with Airpods Pros.

I've never found a pair of IEMs or earbuds that don't hurt my concha when sleeping. I personally sleep with a KSC75, but that form factor is certainly not for everyone.

Thanks, Nimrodor. There's no reason not to try out the KSC75 's given their often under-30 price tag. Not a courtesy I'm granting those $20 headbands.

Especially since the on-ear yellow pad Sennheiser HD 424 's are still a sentimental favorite I've recently gotten again.

I'm the Guy Who:

• Oh, Might & Magic
        • first person 
        • huge open-world
          • dead eyes? check

I appreciate the link, ShearMe. I'd never heard of KoKoon before. Will check it out.

I'm the Guy Who:

• Oh, Might & Magic
        • first person 
        • huge open-world
          • dead eyes? check

15 hours ago, adamblastia said:

I appreciate the link, ShearMe. I'd never heard of KoKoon before. Will check it out.

I have the headphones. The functionality is kinda quirky and the ANC does little to nothing.... but they are definitely comfortable in bed. 

Kokoon sure looks...  interesting.  Their sleep buds are still in pre-release and seem tied to a monthly-pay sleep analysis & improvement setup. Might be great, but no way I'm adding earphones to my utility bills, so to speak.

I'm the Guy Who:

• Oh, Might & Magic
        • first person 
        • huge open-world
          • dead eyes? check

14 minutes ago, adamblastia said:

But no way I'm adding earphones to my utility bills, so to speak.

My thoughts exactly ^^