is rx 6600 good ?

Go to solution Solved by WereCat,

It's fine. Blender now supports RDNA2 so at least for Blender alone NVIDIA cards no longer have that much extra of an advantage. 

RX 6600 should be around the RTX 3060 performance give or take depending on game and workload. 

It's still likely slower in rendering but not by much. 

Budget (including currency): $1000 or Rp 14.000.000,00

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: 3D modeling, animation, gaming ( Genshin, GTA V, Cyberpunk, and other game ) . I dont mind waiting for longer rendering, after all im going to use my college quadro rtx 5000 for rendering most of the time. As long its smooth enough on viewport and cycle in Blender im okay with it.

Other details :

I3 12100 

ASROCK B660M

RX 6600 8 GB vram

16 GB RAM ADATA

SSD 250 GB ( I wonder should i get 512 gb ssd but no hdd ) Kingston

1 TB HDD Seagate

Coolermaster g600 gold Non modular

This cost Rp 13.701.000,00

This is a prebuilt pc since i dont really have the time to make it and the price of self built is more expensive because of shipping ( my city doesnt have any pc part that i want with reasonable price ). Any reccommendation will be very helpfull c:

For your use Nvidia is usually better, so if you can find a 2060 or 3050 for a decent price that's probably better, even though they're worse for gaming. 

If gaming is your priority the 6600 would still be fine. The others aren't bad either, but the 6600 is better in gaming.

1 minute ago, Pixelfie said:

For your use Nvidia is usually better, so if you can find a 2060 or 3050 for a decent price that's probably better, even though they're worse for gaming. 

If gaming is your priority the 6600 would still be fine. The others aren't bad either, but the 6600 is better in gaming.

can i know why rx 6600 bad for my use ? is it because of render time slower or something like that ? I know amd is bad for content creation but i dont know the reason 

6 minutes ago, Ucan_101 said:

can i know why rx 6600 bad for my use ? is it because of render time slower or something like that ? I know amd is bad for content creation but i dont know the reason 

Nvidia GPU's have CUDA cores which help a lot in rendering performance

Just now, Pixelfie said:

Nvidia GPU's have CUDA cores which help a lot in rendering performance

does that mean amd cant render ? Im perfectly okay to use normal render, also should i use i3 12100f version ?

5 minutes ago, Ucan_101 said:

does that mean amd cant render ? Im perfectly okay to use normal render, also should i use i3 12100f version ?

AMD can render fine, it will just be slower than Nvidia. The 12100F is a decent CPU, if the 12100 is not much more expensive it could be a good option too, but usually the 12100 is close to a 12400F in price so it's not worth it.

3 minutes ago, Pixelfie said:

AMD can render fine, it will just be slower than Nvidia. The 12100F is a decent CPU, if the 12100 is not much more expensive it could be a good option too, but usually the 12100 is close to a 12400F in price so it's not worth it.

I see so better stick with 12100 non f . Well i saw this on internet where it seems rx 6600 is a bit similiar in performance on rendering with rtx 2060. 

https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/radeon-rx-6600-review,24.html

oh yes is motherboard fine ?

11 minutes ago, Ucan_101 said:

I see so better stick with 12100 non f . Well i saw this on internet where it seems rx 6600 is a bit similiar in performance on rendering with rtx 2060. 

https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/radeon-rx-6600-review,24.html

oh yes is motherboard fine ?

Yeah seems like they improved quite a bit with RX 6000.

For an i3 it would be fine, but recent ASRock boards haven't been amazing in quality. Something like an MSI B660M A Pro would be better.

4 minutes ago, Pixelfie said:

Yeah seems like they improved quite a bit with RX 6000.

For an i3 it would be fine, but recent ASRock boards haven't been amazing in quality. Something like an MSI B660M A Pro would be better.

So rx 6600 is safe am i right ? Im planning to buy that because 3060 is so pricey, 2060 has similiar price in my place but with the same amount of wattage of 3060. Meanwhile 6600 has the same wattage as 3050

By the way is h610 really a bad motherboard ? 

Oh yes how about b660 mxe biostar ?

It's fine. Blender now supports RDNA2 so at least for Blender alone NVIDIA cards no longer have that much extra of an advantage. 

RX 6600 should be around the RTX 3060 performance give or take depending on game and workload. 

2 minutes ago, WereCat said:

thanks alot for the comfirmation.

7 minutes ago, WereCat said:

Oh yes is biostar b660 mxe good ? It has the similiar price with asrock 

2 minutes ago, Ucan_101 said:

Oh yes is biostar b660 mxe good ? It has the similiar price with asrock 

I have absolutely no experience with Biostar. The general reception towards that brand from what I've seen is quite negative due to either poor BIOS support or build quality. Can't really comment more on that, sorry. 

1 minute ago, WereCat said:

I have absolutely no experience with Biostar. The general reception towards that brand from what I've seen is quite negative due to either poor BIOS support or build quality. Can't really comment more on that, sorry. 

I see so i think imma go for what Pixelfie has offered. Thanks 

2 hours ago, WereCat said:

oh yes just to make sure, its totally fine right for video editing and adobe family like photoshop and illustrator ? I wont go extreme on that just want to make sure it run properly. 

22 minutes ago, Ucan_101 said:

oh yes just to make sure, its totally fine right for video editing and adobe family like photoshop and illustrator ? I wont go extreme on that just want to make sure it run properly. 

Don't know about Adobe as I don't use it but the HEVC encoder on these cards is very capable so if the SW for video editing you use can take advantage of it, it will be a non-issue.

The x264 encoder (required for streaming) is definitely a lot worse than NVENC on NVIDIA so if you plan to stream a lot, it's doable but at a lower quality with comparable bitrates.

I use an XFX 5600XT with my Ryzen 7 2700X, 16Gb of RAM and I am perfectly happy with performance. I can run latest games such as Cyberpunk 2077 pretty much on ultra graphics 1080p without FSR and I get around 60fps. You'll get much more variation depending on how well a game or program is optimized to use Radeon cards rather than the cards objective specs themselves.

Can't say for productivity because I stopped using Blender one week before I got my card and Vegas Pro 14 has a bug where it does not detect AMD cards. Vegas devs said weird but and moved on, didn't even say if there's a fix or if they'll make a fix. Said I should buy latest version cause they know it works there. Anyways...

6600XT is an upgrade so it has to be better than my current card. If you combine it with a better gaming CPU than my 2700X then you'll get even more out of the card that I will. That being said, if you do plan to buy an AMD card, I only have faith in Sapphire and XFX. XFX have never done me wrong but Sapphire has a diamond reputation where apparently they go above and beyond for all sorts of issues, from redundant designs to customer support.

Desktop: Ryzen 7 5800X3D - Kraken X62 Rev 2 - STRIX X470-I - 3600MHz 32GB Kingston Fury - 250GB 970 Evo boot - 2x 500GB 860 Evo - 1TB P3 - 4TB HDD - RX6800 - RMx 750 W 80+ Gold - Manta - Silent Wings Pro 4's enjoyer

SetupZowie XL2740 27.0" 240hz - Roccat Burt Pro Corsair K70 LUX browns - PC38X - Mackie CR5X's

Current build on PCPartPicker

1 hour ago, venomtail said:

I use an XFX 5600XT with my Ryzen 7 2700X, 16Gb of RAM and I am perfectly happy with performance. I can run latest games such as Cyberpunk 2077 pretty much on ultra graphics 1080p without FSR and I get around 60fps. You'll get much more variation depending on how well a game or program is optimized to use Radeon cards rather than the cards objective specs themselves.

Can't say for productivity because I stopped using Blender one week before I got my card and Vegas Pro 14 has a bug where it does not detect AMD cards. Vegas devs said weird but and moved on, didn't even say if there's a fix or if they'll make a fix. Said I should buy latest version cause they know it works there. Anyways...

6600XT is an upgrade so it has to be better than my current card. If you combine it with a better gaming CPU than my 2700X then you'll get even more out of the card that I will. That being said, if you do plan to buy an AMD card, I only have faith in Sapphire and XFX. XFX have never done me wrong but Sapphire has a diamond reputation where apparently they go above and beyond for all sorts of issues, from redundant designs to customer support.

Thanks, i got offered a powercolor card rx 6600 non xt is that fine ? 

20 hours ago, WereCat said:

Don't know about Adobe as I don't use it but the HEVC encoder on these cards is very capable so if the SW for video editing you use can take advantage of it, it will be a non-issue.

The x264 encoder (required for streaming) is definitely a lot worse than NVENC on NVIDIA so if you plan to stream a lot, it's doable but at a lower quality with comparable bitrates.

What does that mean ? Im going to stream at 144p ? Or am i going to stream with 1080 but unable to do 4K streaming ? 

Im totally fine i think, after all if i do screen recording thats just gonna be for my own college task.

13 minutes ago, Ucan_101 said:

Thanks, i got offered a powercolor card rx 6600 non xt is that fine ? 

Oh yes. I didn't mean to imply that other brands are terrible and that they should be avoided. They're all fine and not bankrupt for a reason, just if you have the privilege of choice then I'd recommend XFX or Sapphire. 

Desktop: Ryzen 7 5800X3D - Kraken X62 Rev 2 - STRIX X470-I - 3600MHz 32GB Kingston Fury - 250GB 970 Evo boot - 2x 500GB 860 Evo - 1TB P3 - 4TB HDD - RX6800 - RMx 750 W 80+ Gold - Manta - Silent Wings Pro 4's enjoyer

SetupZowie XL2740 27.0" 240hz - Roccat Burt Pro Corsair K70 LUX browns - PC38X - Mackie CR5X's

Current build on PCPartPicker

1 hour ago, Ucan_101 said:

What does that mean ? Im going to stream at 144p ? Or am i going to stream with 1080 but unable to do 4K streaming ? 

Im totally fine i think, after all if i do screen recording thats just gonna be for my own college task.

for streaming you're limited by bitrate, that means the amount of data transferred per second. 

Twitch has a limit of 6000 bitrate or 8000 bitrate (unofficialy). 

So with NVIDIA you get better quality at the same bitrate vs AMD. 

For example 1080p60 is too much for 6000 bitrate so in fast paced games you get compression artifacts. 

This means that AMD will have more of those when streaming with their x264 HW encoder vs NVIDIA NVENC x264 encoder. 

You are still in control of the resolution, FPS and bitrate but you may need to step down to 720p on AMD to achieve similar quality where NVIDIA can get up to 1080p at the same bitrate. 

All that said, this is irrelevant for game capture where AMD has a great x265 (HEVC) encoder. The reason why it's not used for streaming is because of the licencing fees. (not because of AMD). 

So if you will just capture gameplay or edit videos you can always use HEVC and you will be fine with both quality and file sizes. 

• 3 weeks later...

I am looking to buy a GPU, I need just for 1080p gaming. Which is better? RTX 2060 or RX 6600. RTX 2060 is selling for around $320 USD while RX 6600 is $370 USD.