Want a Plex server. Looking at Synology but what about cheap enterprise systems all over ebay?

I do like the idea of the simplicity of Synology from what I see on youtube videos i checked but what about one of those dell optiplex stations people mod for gaming or other mass produced enterprise stations?  I guess physical hard drive space could be an issue but i think some can hold 2 3.5" drives.

What generation of CPU would I be adequate?  I don't have any spare PC parts on hand so i don't have anything just laying around to throw together.

most HP SFF designs can hold 3 3.5" HDD's with some creativity. as for which generation to aim for.. i'd say haswell at least. they should be cheap enough.

Depending on your electricity costs an older enterprise system might be more expensive in the long run. Do you really need the power of a socketed CPU or would a efficient Atom or ARM board be enough? Do you need to transcode?

My boring Github   /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

14 hours ago, Timotheus2 said:

Depending on your electricity costs an older enterprise system might be more expensive in the long run. Do you really need the power of a socketed CPU or would a efficient Atom or ARM board be enough? Do you need to transcode?

No transcoding would be required i think.  I convert everything to h.265 and the would be a max of 2 people streaming at the same time.

16 hours ago, TexasBulldog74 said:

What generation of CPU would I be adequate?

My Plex server runs on an i5 3570K and 16 Gigs of ram. It does 2 transcodes with a total of 3 streams. Mostly transcode 480p to 1080p content. So Id say anything modern should be fine. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

4 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

My Plex server runs on an i5 3570K and 16 Gigs of ram. It does 2 transcodes with a total of 3 streams. Mostly transcode 480p to 1080p content. So Id say anything modern should be fine. 

oh wow.  I was worried I needed a lot more than that.

Thanks