Daisy chain pci-e cable on 2080 Super,issue or not?

frozensun

Hi friends.

I am OCD that my RTX 2080 S is underperforming due to daisy chain connectors on pci-e cable.

So only one cable is connected to PSU and GPU which has 2 separate 8-pin connectors.

I do get decent performance in games but just MSI AB OSD rarely shows GPU power above 90%.In fact never.

So is this an issue?

It does show GPU power between 230-260W depending on load. 

Please do not take offence for my apparent confusion or rudeness,it's not intent me to be like that,it's just my BPD,be nice to me,and I'll return twice better,be rude and usually I get easly pissed of...I'll try to help anyone here,as long as it's something I dealt with,and even if you think I'm rude or not polite,forgive me,  it's not me it's my BPD.

Thanks for understanding.

should be fine.

if the gpu is not at 100% then:

the game is badly optimzed

the game is cpu heavy

you have a bottleneck somewhere

there is a issue with software

software might be bugged

there is a issue with the gpu

etc

I Use my knowledge as business owner and self taught technician aswell as an AI to help people. AI might be controversial but it actually works pretty well 90% of the time.

Easy to test, just don't use the daisy chain. Reminds me of that other crazy thread you posted back then....
But no, its not likely to change anything.

1 hour ago, SavageNeo said:

should be fine.

if the gpu is not at 100% then:

the game is badly optimzed

the game is cpu heavy

you have a bottleneck somewhere

there is a issue with software

software might be bugged

there is a issue with the gpu

etc

Gpu usage is around 100% but GPU PWR is not,usually max 90%.

1 hour ago, For Science! said:

Easy to test, just don't use the daisy chain. Reminds me of that other crazy thread you posted back then....
But no, its not likely to change anything.

How to test?

Please do not take offence for my apparent confusion or rudeness,it's not intent me to be like that,it's just my BPD,be nice to me,and I'll return twice better,be rude and usually I get easly pissed of...I'll try to help anyone here,as long as it's something I dealt with,and even if you think I'm rude or not polite,forgive me,  it's not me it's my BPD.

32 minutes ago, frozensun said:

How to test?

1 hour ago, For Science! said:

Easy to test, just don't use the daisy chain[ed cable].

Playing games on a non daisy chained PCIE power cable would be a start, lol...

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

It may not be the daisy chain causing the issue. It could always depend on the game you are playing, the CPU you have and many factors. You can try also reinstalling its drivers to see if you have the same result.

1 hour ago, Levent said:

Playing games on a non daisy chained PCIE power cable would be a start, lol...

How much current in total do 2 pci-e connectors daisy chained provide?

I connected like this with second pci-e cable.

Did I connnect the correct way?

20220606_184630.jpg

12 minutes ago, frozensun said:

I connected like this with second pci-e cable.

Did I connnect the correct way?

Assuming those two PCIe cables terminate into separate slots on the PSU side, then yes, you are no longer using a daisy-chained PCIe cable.

You can daisy-chain (use the pig-tail), and have 1 cable connect to 8 pin connectors on the card if the cables are atleast 16AWG, and ideally have 12A terminals (pins in connector).

If not if the cables are 18AWG on the main run, then it's best to have 1 cable to one 8 pin connector. Thankfully as of few days ago it's trivial to figure out which PSUs have beefier cables:

https://cultists.network/140/psu-tier-list/

All the gold marked ones in Tier A, on the Tier list above have 16AWG cables (and Corsair have 12A terminals, and maybe other companies units made in CWT factory). As for Tier B, from the gold ones The Chieftec, The Cooler Master and the Thermaltake gold ones have 16AWG as well, that I've noticed. And additionally Corsair SF750 has 16AWG as well and probably 12A terminals even though it's not gold.

Absouletely  makes no difference in my case, same performance wether if are 2 cables or one daisy chained.

1 hour ago, Dogzilla07 said:

You can daisy-chain (use the pig-tail), and have 1 cable connect to 8 pin connectors on the card if the cables are atleast 16AWG, and ideally have 12A terminals (pins in connector).

If not if the cables are 18AWG on the main run, then it's best to have 1 cable to one 8 pin connector. Thankfully as of few days ago it's trivial to figure out which PSUs have beefier cables:

All the gold marked ones in Tier A, on the Tier list above have 16AWG cables (and Corsair have 12A terminals, and maybe other companies units made in CWT factory). As for Tier B, from the gold ones The Chieftec, The Cooler Master and the Thermaltake gold ones have 16AWG as well, that I've noticed. And additionally Corsair SF750 has 16AWG as well and probably 12A terminals even though it's not gold.

Ahh okay you are here too..

Thank you.

I think Sir @jonnyGURU can elighten us more on this.

I don't see a specific reason why to connect 2 cables if one works flawlessly without issues.

at least with my card.

Yeah, I like everything what Corsair makes just waiting for them to make graphics cards 😆 such an awesome quality in peripherals in my case.

2 hours ago, Dogzilla07 said:

16 awg 18 awg 10000 awg 1awg or not it worked flawlessly with just one cable daisy chained connectors.

Theory and practice are waaay 2 different things.

But then again I think it depends on GPU.

I know for sure my R9 390 required 2 separate cables..that card is a heater.

I am curious to know how much power can one pci-e cable daisy chained connectors provide on my V850?

10 minutes ago, frozensun said:

I am curious to know how much power can one pci-e cable daisy chained connectors provide on my V850?

324w

31 minutes ago, frozensun said:

Theory and practice are waaay 2 different things.

But then again I think it depends on GPU.

Yeah, definitely, i didn't mention it specifically, but throttling is probably only an issue on >~300W GPUs