who had data corruption on SSD

Florian11

I once bought a refurbished MSI laptop with 2 SSDs running with RAID 0. One of the SSDs broke, couldn't boot the computer because RAID 0. I've returned it afterwards because they wouldn't replace the SSD.

Refurbished = Never Again

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

Been using adata sx900 which has a sandforce chip in it, been almost 2 years no problems with it yet

person below me is a scrub

I Have A Kingston HyperX 3k SSD And A Samsung EVO there Running Fine nothing has happend to them as of yet not any signs of damage.

I once bought a refurbished MSI laptop with 2 SSDs running with RAID 0. One of the SSDs broke, couldn't boot the computer because RAID 0. I've returned it afterwards because they wouldn't replace the SSD.

Refurbished = Never Again

Refurbished hardware is ok most of the time, but going down that road is at it's own risks I gues. Depends on if you want to take the chance but save a few £/$.

Connor Freebairn - ConnorFreebairn@newman.cumbria.sch.uk
IT Technician & Certified computer geek.

i never had

including first gen vertex ssds from back in the day (died after 4+ years of use without firmware updates and no trim)

and samsung 830 and intel 330 ssds ( still alive)

btw ssds dont just die straight away u can still backup when u notice it near its end

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

i never had

including first gen vertex ssds from back in the day (died after 4+ years of use without firmware updates and no trim)

and samsung 830 and intel 330 ssds ( still alive)

btw ssds dont just die straight away u can still backup when u notice it near its end

True, you often find that the ssd will crash to start to get really slow before it's end of life. Unlike a hdd that can just suddenly stop working after time. Just one more reason to pick an ssd.

My OCZ Vertex Plus (the 60gb one) is still going strong with 2.5 years on it's back and no reallocated sectors :D

My OCZ Vertex Plus (the 60gb one) is still going strong with 2.5 years on it's back and no reallocated sectors :D

That drive is doing really well, considering that the smaller the drive the smaller it's life span. Most ssd's need at least 100Gb to last 3 years. My 60Gb is on it's 2nd year now. ;)

That drive is doing really well, considering that the smaller the drive the smaller it's life span. Most ssd's need at least 100Gb to last 3 years. My 60Gb is on it's 2nd year now. ;)

Yea, I guess I'm lucky, but upgrading the firmware was also the first thing I did when I got it. Really want to upgrade to the latest firmware, but I'll have to reinstall windows then :(

Edit: It has been powered on for 2421 hours.

Meh, I would rather spend on some other hardware than get an SSD. If they were cheaper and had better capacity, then I would get one. Loading/Booting time does not matter to me, as I don't mind waiting. (Usually I turn on the computer, then go grab a snack/drink or something and get back or set up music as game is loading) Games are getting more seamless I find. In online games where instancing happens a lot, you usually would have to wait for the other players anyway.

Refurbished hardware is ok most of the time, but going down that road is at it's own risks I gues. Depends on if you want to take the chance but save a few £/$.

My problem with refurbished is that they don't replace anything, they only "fix" it. So if your HDD gets broken they won't replace it and you can't fix an HDD so you'll have to pay up for another one yourself. It really does save a lot of money tough, I think it was 40 percent cheaper.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

My problem with refurbished is that they don't replace anything, they only "fix" it. So if your HDD gets broken they won't replace it and you can't fix an HDD so you'll have to pay up for another one yourself. It really does save a lot of money tough, I think it was 40 percent cheaper.

If I was getting 40% I think I would have just done the same as you.

if i get data corruption on the ssd, can i just boot my clone on the HDD and reclone the SSD again?

if i get data corruption on the ssd, can i just boot my clone on the HDD and reclone the SSD again?

This would depend on the damage done to the data on the ssd and if the hdd clone was made when the ssd data was damaged or if it was still working when the clone was made.

And yes unless you have damaged the ssd you sould still be able to write to the ssd. (This includes re-installing the os or a cloned drive)

i would take my current HDD and clone it to the SSD and then if the SSD would fail i could just clone my data on the SSD again

i would take my current HDD and clone it to the SSD and then if the SSD would fail i could just clone my data on the SSD again

If the HHD contains a working clone, then yes you can clone the ssd again with the hdd data. I would run a health check on the ssd once it's been recloned to make sure that it's not a problem with the ssd it's self and will not fail aftre booting a few times.

if i buy an SSD it should work at least 4 years anyway or do you think i will spend 240 euro on a SSD that doesnt work after 1 year, i dont have a problem with data corruption i can just reclone it over night but then it has to work again

if i buy an SSD it should work at least 4 years anyway or do you think i will spend 240 euro on a SSD that doesnt work after 1 year, i dont have a problem with data corruption i can just reclone it over night but then it has to work again

It's always worth to double check these kind of things ;) . Even if it is unlikely.

The sad thing is there are ways of wrecking SSDs really fast. Because of using them wrong, many users destroy their SSDs and complain afterwards. Caching on SSDs reduces their life time rapidly. Same goes for SSDs that are loaded to the maximum capacity. Usually you should leave 30% of the SSD unused to balance read writes over the whole remaining space. That prevents the MLC cells from breaking down and is done by the SSD itself. All the user has to do is pay attention to some small principles. I am not saying you did something wrong, don't get me wrong, but i had SSDs for more than 5 years now, not a single one broke down, not in RAIDs, not as a mobile drive, i never had a problem

My builds:

'Baldur' - Data Server - Build Log

'Hlin' - UTM Gateway Server - Build Log

so iif i want to use 500gb of the SSD i have to buy the 750gb version although the 500gb version is already so expensive

that depends on how many layers of cells are above each other but to be on the safe side i would recommend to leave at least 100-150 GB free, yes

there is a reason most people combine HDDs with SSDs. It gives you the opportunity to get videos/photos/music/documents on the HDD and run programs from the SSD.

30% used to be a recommendation in times that had smaller SSDs available. i don't really know what changed though, but since manufacturers are stacking cells i think it's still about the same, maybe 20% for larger drives

My builds:

'Baldur' - Data Server - Build Log

'Hlin' - UTM Gateway Server - Build Log

so iif i want to use 500gb of the SSD i have to buy the 750gb version although the 500gb version is already so expensive

Not exactly, the larger the ssd the more write cycles it has (Normally) this is how many times the drive can rewrite the same sector of space. The larger the ssd the bigger the life cycle basicly.

that depends on how many layers of cells are above each other but to be on the safe side i would recommend to leave at least 100-150 GB free, yes

Nerd swag B)