When will we see not so expensive prices for 30 tb HDD's?

AnnPc

Or 50 TB ones for that matter. I read that we could have 30 tb HDD's soon and I'm a bit freaky with planning, so I would like to hear what do you think. I'm still building my pc but it will have at least 5 TB of storage (m.2 + HDD) but I'm already thinking about upgrading that much in about 5-8 years I guess.

It also mentions "The company also has ambitions to launch a 50TB HDD in 2025", so that's tempting too

I still hesitant of the hybrid drives. It's the reason I don't have any of the WD 20 TB drives. The largest drive I'm using right now is a 18TB as that's right before the switch. How much storage do you need, as I thought I was a bit odd for having a couple of these large drives in my main PC / gaming PC?

Right when the new drives come out they'll be expensive for a while. The 20 TB Gold drive still has a bit of a premium, but it if you go down a couple steps, to say a WD 14 TB Gold, you can routinely pick those up on sale really reasonable (for what it is).

22 minutes ago, AnnPc said:

thinking about upgrading that much in about 5-8 years I guess

Worries for 5-8 years from now then. We can't predict the future.

Maybe these 30 or 50 TB drives will be painstakingly slow, maybe their reliability is poor compared to lower capacity drives. They can be great, average or a flop; only time will tell. These huge drives will remain niche for the foreseeable future I think and as such prices will probably stay high. Not to mention the rebuild times on these things for those using them in a redundant storage system.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

I recently checked 16TB HDD prices and was surprised at how cheap those are. But I think that capacity is already in a dangerous category for home users, creating a raid out of these massive drives is expensive and if you don't do it imagine just how much data you are risking. 

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

30 minutes ago, ZetZet said:

I recently checked 16TB HDD prices and was surprised at how cheap those are. But I think that capacity is already in a dangerous category for home users, creating a raid out of these massive drives is expensive and if you don't do it imagine just how much data you are risking. 

Data should never be in one place though. The prices have also gotten to a point, where multiples are "affordable."  I mainly look at the enterprise grade drives, even for my home PCs, but I know the 14 TB WD Gold drive can be found on sale for $289 through authorized retailers (important to make sure you don't have any warranty issues, should the need arise) at times. The 18 TB is more like ~$360 on sale, and sales on those much rarer. I prefer the WD or HGST drives personally. However if you go to the Seagate, or Toshiba, the drives get even cheaper and sales seem to be more common.

3 minutes ago, OhioYJ said:

Data should never be in one place though. The prices have also gotten to a point, where multiples are "affordable."  I mainly look at the enterprise grade drives, even for my home PCs, but I know the 14 TB WD Gold drive can be found on sale for $289 through authorized retailers (important to make sure you don't have any warranty issues, should the need arise) at times. The 18 TB is more like ~$360 on sale, and sales on those much rarer. I prefer the WD or HGST drives personally. However if you go to the Seagate, or Toshiba, the drives get even cheaper and sales seem to be more common.

That's true, but if I personally wanted 10+ TB of storage in my computer I would start thinking about RAID.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Reminds me the times I had 40MB drive for Windows 3.1

Seemed a bit small... it kinda was I guess.

I edit my posts more often than not