Samsung, STOP CHEATING

mynameGeoff

Will the TVs live up to the QD OLED hype? The first one is here, and it looks great but is Samsung fluffing up their numbers a little bit on the S95B?

Buy the Samsung S95B 65": https://geni.us/efBFjZ

Buy the LG G2 OLED 65": https://geni.us/1bvog

Buy the Sony A95K 65": https://lmg.gg/XeERs

Purchases made through some store links may provide some compensation to Linus Media Group.

Anyone know what watch Linus is wearing in this video? 

18 minutes ago, Nami said:

Anyone know what watch Linus is wearing in this video? 

LTTSTORE.COM T-SHIRT, probably soon coming.

Useful threads: PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | Graphics Card Cooling Tier List ❤️

Baby: MPG X570 GAMING PLUS | AMD Ryzen 9 5900x /w PBO | Corsair H150i Pro RGB | ASRock RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming OC (3020Mhz & 2650Memory) | Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB DDR4 (4x8GB) 3600 MHz | Corsair RM1000x |  WD_BLACK SN850 | WD_BLACK SN750 | Samsung EVO 850 | Kingston A400 |  PNY CS900 | Lian Li O11 Dynamic White | Display(s): Samsung Oddesy G7, ASUS TUF GAMING VG27AQZ 27" & MSI G274F

I also drive a volvo as one does being norwegian haha, a volvo v70 d3 from 2016.

Reliability was a key thing and its my second car, working pretty well for its 6 years age xD

I fricking hate that you can't use game mode with the film maker preset.

That's a deal breaker for me,i don't like over-saturated presets.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

Hey, unless I'm missing something, the timestamps mislabel the interface as coming from LG.

And, yeah, as this video kinda touches on, people don't talk enough about how much of a shitshow Samsung Tiezen software is in general. The ads and stuff aren't a huge deal - if you don't connect it to the internet, of course - but god they really are fiddly things that never seem to let you tweak them how you want. Pain in the ass.

My dad got a Samsung soundbar with his Samsung TV, partly because he was able to get it for a good deal and partly because he hoped that they would play well with each other. Instead, the setup was glitchy as fuck and caused the TV to constantly freeze and bug out when it was switching between inputs, forcing a restart almost every time. That seems to have been sorted eventually, but even now there's a bug where once in a blue moon the screen will just randomly flash the Apple TV+ splash screen for a split-second.

And, no, Apple TV+ is not installed.

The whole "doesn't have burning" is debatable.

Yes, quantum dots do improve color in terms of the spectrum content of the light.

But burn in isn't usually about the spectrum shifting or otherwise altering, but rather the light level itself dimming with the age of the light source. In this case the OLED.

And the amount of ageing for LEDs is proportional to operating temperature. And since most of the heat comes from running current through the LED to make it light up. This effectively means that burn in is faster on lighter parts of an image compared to darker parts. So pixels that on average have to output more light will fade faster than pixels that on average output less light. (Now, the controller in the display can technically have a "burn in map" where it simply logs the amount of use per pixel over time and compensates for it.)

Now, one simple fix for all burn in is to just reduce the operating temperature of the panel itself. And this is likely one reason why some more color accurate monitors actually have fans.

Now, I however don't want to run a black white striped image on my screens for months to test and see if blowing cool air over half the panel makes a difference or not. But it is a test one can make if one is willing to more or less sacrifice a screen.

And here I was thinking the reign of OLED was over after Mini-LED came out... I'd rather wait for a good Mini-LED monitor than risk any sort of burn-in at all, specially on products that are hard to exchanged (TVs and monitors).

13 minutes ago, HumdrumPenguin said:

And here I was thinking the reign of OLED was over after Mini-LED came out... I'd rather wait for a good Mini-LED monitor than risk any sort of burn-in at all, specially on products that are hard to exchanged (TVs and monitors).

Even mini and micro LED panels will suffer burn-in.

Since all LEDs do dim over time as they age, and they age faster when warmer.

And the thing that heats them the most is when one wants them to produce a lot of light.

Though, a lot of other light sources also suffer burn-in as well.

The phosphors in CRT screens generally gets blasted away by the electron beam over time.

Plasma is particularly known for its burn-in.

LCD panels tends to get "stuck" over time as the liquid crystal seems to just give up after a good few years.

Even gas discharge lamps fade with time. And lets not talk about laser tubes that can output less than 1/10th their initial brightness and still be "in spec" as far as warranty is concerned...

In the end.

It isn't so much the technology that you have to worry about. But rather how it is implemented in the specific devices.

But honestly, a lot of modern high res TVs with HDR should probably look at including a fan or two to get some better airflow and reduce overall temperatures of the device. (I myself wouldn't focus on having more vents for the air, or even blowing air in or out of the device, but rather just circulating it inside as to even out the panel temperature and thereby evening out aging of the LEDs. But most reviewers/customers would look at such an air circulating fan and think it is stupid. We don't want a cool spot, nor a hot spot, we want an even temperature.)

9 minutes ago, Nystemy said:

Even mini and micro LED panels will suffer burn-in.

Since all LEDs do dim over time as they age, and they age faster when warmer.

And the thing that heats them the most is when one wants them to produce a lot of light.

Though, a lot of other light sources also suffer burn-in as well.

The phosphors in CRT screens generally gets blasted away by the electron beam over time.

Plasma is particularly known for its burn-in.

LCD panels tends to get "stuck" over time as the liquid crystal seems to just give up after a good few years.

Even gas discharge lamps fade with time. And lets not talk about laser tubes that can output less than 1/10th their initial brightness and still be "in spec" as far as warranty is concerned...

In the end.

It isn't so much the technology that you have to worry about. But rather how it is implemented in the specific devices.

But honestly, a lot of modern high res TVs with HDR should probably look at including a fan or two to get some better airflow and reduce overall temperatures of the device. (I myself wouldn't focus on having more vents for the air, or even blowing air in or out of the device, but rather just circulating it inside as to even out the panel temperature and thereby evening out aging of the LEDs. But most reviewers/customers would look at such an air circulating fan and think it is stupid. We don't want a cool spot, nor a hot spot, we want an even temperature.)

I didn't know stuck pixels would come out with age. But even then, the OLED panels need to do their "pixel shifting" thing to avoid fast burn in, while other technologies don't need it (as far as I know at least). Truth be told, If I could get a lifespan of about 7 years without any issues on a panel, I'd go for it.

Could Consumer Reports go after you for showing something behind their paywall? 

Does anyone have a link to the video Linus is referring to in the last 15 seconds of the video above?

3 hours ago, Mordarok said:

Does anyone have a link to the video Linus is referring to in the last 15 seconds of the video above?

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

21 hours ago, Fooshi said:

Ever since Samsung forced Samsung TV Plus to auto play as long as you're connected to the internet, I've sworn off Samsung TVs permanently. The god awful UI and them pulling stuff like this isn't making their products more attractive.

I am very happy with my LG CX. Literally no issues and the UI is actually good.

You can uninstall Samsung TV Plus, but then it just dumps you to the "No input found" screen and forces you to choose and HDMI port or an application.

The ads are almost a deal breaker for me. I wonder if it is possible to block the ads with pihole?

• 2 weeks later...