Automatic Backup to Network Path?

Hi all,

I'm thinking of overhauling my video editing workstation to move all my HDD storage to my NAS. I don't really want to be editing directly off the NAS (though I plan to get 2.5Gb switch at some point so it mightn't be unfeasible) so I would like to have my current projects on a folder on my drive which then copies the contents to a folder on the NAS for longer-term backup. I've read a few ways to do this but what I don't want to happen is to delete a folder on the workstation and also have it be deleted on my server as well so it's not really a mirror. Is this doable?

You can do a mirror, just a manual one when you know things are OK. I use freefilesync for that.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

If you are on windows, a great native, reliable solution is robocopy. RoboCopy docs

There's good documentation out there on how to setup a copy without deleting from the destination, and you can set it up to run as a scheduled task at a frequency you'd like.

{
    "PC": [
        {
            "Part": "CPU",
            "Spec": "i7-2600k @ 4.4GHz"
        },
        {
            "Part": "RAM",
            "Spec": "32GB 1600MHz Corsair Vengeance Pro CL9 9-9-9-24"
        },
        {
            "Part": "GPU",
            "Spec": "inno3d 980Ti"
        },
        {
            "Part": "Motherboard",
            "Spec": "Asus P8Z68-v Pro"
        },
        {
            "Part": "Storage",
            "Spec": "1x 500GB 860 EVO, 2x MX500"
        },
        {
            "Part": "PSU",
            "Spec": "Corsair GS800"
        }
    ]
}

You can setup a scheduled task on startup to mount an iscsi target, SMB or NFS share as a network drive, and you can set that as your target for automatic backups.

What software are you running on your NAS? I run TrueNAS with scheduled snapshots that allow you to revert to earlier versions of files and folders in case you deleted something by accident.

Just use Macrium Reflect and run vanilla backups to your NAS.Done.

Filesync type backups are a pain and break too easily. 

• 1 month later...

If you are using windows, just use Gs Richcopy 360, I use it recently and it is perfect to sync/backup to external hard drives, local drives, clouds , severs and NAS/QNAP, also you can schedule your backups to run in specific time automatically, search it