Epyc 7551p Activities

Got my hands on a EPYC 7551p, and really just want to know what fun activities could I do too push all the cores. Right now the system is sitting as a Plex Server and NAS. Don't really know what else to do with 32 cores. Any ideas?

The geek himself.

59 minutes ago, Dawson Wehage said:

Got my hands on a EPYC 7551p, and really just want to know what fun activities could I do too push all the cores. Right now the system is sitting as a Plex Server and NAS. Don't really know what else to do with 32 cores. Any ideas?

There’s always virtualization.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

22 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

There’s always virtualization.

I was thinking a long the lines of like research or something like that

The geek himself.

1 hour ago, Dawson Wehage said:

I was thinking a long the lines of like research or something like that

Still virtualization.  You’ve got to cut the thing effectively in pieces if you want to keep using it as a NAS and do other stuff too.  I doubt the OS on the thing is terribly friendly to doing anything but running a NAS.  NASes generally run specially cooked Linux distros, so you’d basically have to roll you own distro.  With that many cores it’s easier to just do multiple virtual machines. The NAS, and whatever else.  

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.