Home NAS suggestions

I'm finding myself having to upgrade/centralize my NAS environment with is currently a QNAP TS-231P (with an old Drobo attached via usb for local back-up) and a D-link DNS323 which is super long in the teeth.

Debating between Synology DS920+ and building my own and came up with this: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/VLxJnt (i already have the 1TB disks kicking around so i would re-use them to start)

leaning towards building my own as I wouldn't mind having the upgrade/expandability options of my own hardware and being able to run a VM on two on truenas or unraid etc.

Question I have is regarding the build, looking to get a decent band for the buck but don't want to spend over 700 CAD (based on new hardware costs).

Ideally I would have preferred to get a case like the Jonsbo N1 however cost including shipping are ridiculous for Canada. Trying to keep the build small as i need to be able to put in into a small 8U rack and still keep decent airflow.

Any suggestions/comments are welcome.

1 hour ago, briodan said:

I'm finding myself having to upgrade/centralize my NAS environment with is currently a QNAP TS-231P (with an old Drobo attached via usb for local back-up) and a D-link DNS323 which is super long in the teeth.

Debating between Synology DS920+ and building my own and came up with this: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/VLxJnt (i already have the 1TB disks kicking around so i would re-use them to start)

leaning towards building my own as I wouldn't mind having the upgrade/expandability options of my own hardware and being able to run a VM on two on truenas or unraid etc.

Question I have is regarding the build, looking to get a decent band for the buck but don't want to spend over 700 CAD (based on new hardware costs).

Ideally I would have preferred to get a case like the Jonsbo N1 however cost including shipping are ridiculous for Canada. Trying to keep the build small as i need to be able to put in into a small 8U rack and still keep decent airflow.

Any suggestions/comments are welcome.

try this list https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/PZ9DjZ you dont have to add all the har drives at this point in time and it has room for plenty of upgrades later 

1 hour ago, Noxitb said:

try this list https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/PZ9DjZ you dont have to add all the har drives at this point in time and it has room for plenty of upgrades later 

unfortunately this build does not meet one of the requirements which is a small form factor for the case. its going over budget with extra RAM and Drives.

56 minutes ago, briodan said:

unfortunately this build does not meet one of the requirements which is a small form factor for the case. its going over budget with extra RAM and Drives.

ok 

Perhaps you want something like https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/hkrFZw

Minecraft plugin developer

Desktop:
CPU= I5 12400F
RAM = 2x 32gb DDR4 3200MHZ Corsair Vengeance LPX
Motherboard = MSI Z690-A-PRO Wifi DDR4
GPU= RTX 3050
SSD = Samsung 980 Pro 1TB
PSU= Corsair RM750

Laptop:
CPU= AMD Ryzen 5 5500u
RAM= 1X 4gb (soldered 3200mhz), 1x 16gb ddr4 3200mhz (so-dimm)
SSD= Samsung 970 Evo 1TB

I'd go for a Ryzen based NAS, as Ryzen CPUs not only support unregistered ECC but they're about to flood the used market. I just landed a 3400G for my living room PC, I paid 140CAD. That's a steal. A used LSI HBA card with 4 or 8 ports depending on your needs and you should be good. I suggest the Fractal Node 304 if you need it to be compact, or the Define R5 for full ATX expandability and it has 2 more drive bays.

You can also check out Asrockrack's Ryzen motherboards for servers, lots of features and validated to work with ECC.

6 hours ago, dbx10 said:

I'd go for a Ryzen based NAS, as Ryzen CPUs not only support unregistered ECC but they're about to flood the used market. I just landed a 3400G for my living room PC, I paid 140CAD. That's a steal. A used LSI HBA card with 4 or 8 ports depending on your needs and you should be good. I suggest the Fractal Node 304 if you need it to be compact, or the Define R5 for full ATX expandability and it has 2 more drive bays.

You can also check out Asrockrack's Ryzen motherboards for servers, lots of features and validated to work with ECC.

any places you'd recommend to look at for used stuff other then ebay?

5 hours ago, briodan said:

any places you'd recommend to look at for used stuff other then ebay?

Well, classifieds in Canada are basically 80% commercial listings and a few scalpers, once in a blue moon you'll get a deal. For server stuff I don't hesitate to import from the US via ebay tbh.

Synergyindustrial has tons of server grade hard drives, tested and all, and a hassle free return policy. I buy from them regularly.
Calgarycomputerwholesale has TONS of office gear and some really nice servers. Look for their auctions, not the buy it now listings. I landed a whole ass tower server for 56$ lol