Video/audio artifacts with different GPUs

Joseki

Hello happy people.

I built the following PC 40 days ago.

Monitor: LG CX (connected via a HDMI 2.0 cable)

GPU: Asus RTX 2060 12 GB

CPU: Intel i5 11400f

MOBO: MSI MAG B560 TOMAHAWK WIFI

PSU: Corsair RM550x 80 PLUS Gold

RAM: Crucial Ballistix BL2K16G32C16U4B (2x16 GB)

SSD: Samsung 980 500 GB

Case: Fractal Meshify 2 Compact

I also updated the BIOS to the latest release and activated XMP.

Immediately I started noticing a weird audio issue: the audio signal coming from GPU > HDMI cable > Monitor frequently crackled or popped (at least once a minute); while the audio coming from Bluetooth didn't have any issue.

I immediately excluded the monitor, I used it on my previous PC and it never had any issue with it. I currently still use it with other sources and the audio is perfect.

The cable too I was using with the previous PC, but I changed it anyways and the problem remained.

I then tried changing HDMI port on the GPU and that too didn't resolve the issue.

At this point I was starting to think my GPU was defective. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the latest Nvidia drivers (via the standard W10 uninstall) and that too didn't solve the issue.

I contacted the shop that sold me the GPU for a RMA but the process was too long for my immediate needs and so I postponed it as the issue wasn't that severe.

Flashforward 30 days and the issue got worse as the video signal started cutting off every 40-50 seconds, with the occasional "video format not supported" lasting long enough to force me to hard reboot.

I tried a proper clean reinstall of the drivers with DDU and it seemingly fixed all issues, at least until I shutdown the PC. The next day the PC posted but I had no video signal. The GPU is seemingly dead or terminally ill, as I later managed to get signal but it continued to cut off.

I started the RMA process for the GPU but considering I needed a working PC and my CPU doesn't have an integrated one I also needed to find a cheap replacement and I found on eBay a used Radeon HD5450.

Using it I don't seem to have any more audio issue, but today playing a Twitter video I noticed very, very small green, purple lines appearing on screen (I can't quantify how many pixel long they were but phisically I have a 55 monitor and they were around 1 cm long and very thin).

At this point I'm either very unlucky or I think I may be having some other issue with my PC.

Is there any way to make sure the rest of my PC is healty and it's not actively causing my GPUs to die?

Thank you

55 minutes ago, Joseki said:

I found on eBay a used Radeon HD5450

That replacement gpu is 13 years old from the windows xp era of computing.

Use a more modern gpu that is compatible with modern operating systems , drivers , and browsers before testing the machine for stability problems outside of gpu issues.

1 hour ago, emosun said:

That replacement gpu is 13 years old from the windows xp era of computing.

Use a more modern gpu that is compatible with modern operating systems , drivers , and browsers before testing the machine for stability problems outside of gpu issues.

I'll have access to a GTX 1050 for a few hours in the coming days, so I will do tests on more adequate hardware.

Clear cmos and do all your testing at stock.