AMD 5600X ram causing BSOD

Chris_P

Hi folks,

I'm hoping someone might have an idea as to what's going on.

Yesterday I upgraded my aging 13 year old pc to the following:

Asus Strix B550-F Gaming

AMD 5600X

Crucial vengeance Pro 3600MHz 8GB x4

EVGA 750w psu.

So after building the system I started to get random BSOD issues, none where ever the same.

So far I've done:

I took everything out and reseated everything, still no joy.

Moved the OS from the M.2 to an SSD

Updated the bios.

Updated the drivers.

Then I removed 2 stick of ram, stable as anything. Put the same sticks back in, BSOD randomly again. Switched out the sticks so only 2 in but not the original 2 and stable again.

Any ideas?

How did you get 4x8gb? Did you buy a 4x8gb kit or did you buy 2 2x8gb kits? If it's the second, you likely got two different memory chips and they just don't like running with each other. Look at the sticker, there will be a version number on them. If that number is different across all 4 sticks, that's likely your problem. 

Thanks RONOTHAN, they are 2 individual packs of ram. I'll look later when my partner has finished on the pc and take a look.

Maybe saving a little cash has cost me lol

56 minutes ago, Mario Chamdjoko said:

What is BSOD?

Blue screen of death

3 hours ago, RONOTHAN## said:

How did you get 4x8gb? Did you buy a 4x8gb kit or did you buy 2 2x8gb kits? If it's the second, you likely got two different memory chips and they just don't like running with each other. Look at the sticker, there will be a version number on them. If that number is different across all 4 sticks, that's likely your problem. 

All 4 sticks are ver8.31 and below are the barcode batch numbers. 

Any other ideas?

39 minutes ago, Chris_P said:

All 4 sticks are ver8.31 and below are the barcode batch numbers. 

Any other ideas?

OK, so those are Nanya chips, which I have no idea about their intricacies. They might be a kind of chip where they really don't like mixing kits like Samsung C die (v4.32) or they might just not care like a lot of others. 

It might be a good idea to mess around with the termination settings on the board though, ASUS AM4 boards are a bit weaker with the memory support, and changing the ProcODT settings might get it to work better. Changing the BIOS version might also help since AMD boards do get better or worse depending on the BIOS revision. 

10 minutes ago, Mario Chamdjoko said:

I've never heard that chip before btw

They're one of the 4 DDR4 manufacturers (Micron, Samsung, Hynix, Nanya), they just happen to be the least common in consumer memory.

So I played with the ProcODT setting and tried other bios's to see if I could get these to work. No joy, but thanks for the help.

I'm going to chalk this one down to experience and look to get a 32gig (16gig x2) replacement in the near future and sell these on.

The system is still far better than the one I upgraded to and tbh a lot has changed in the time I regularly built and upgraded system, being out the loop for so long does have it's disadvantages.