Should I get a 5950X or a 3070 Ti?

milesuy
Go to solution Solved by Jonathan Lee,
19 minutes ago, milesuy said:

The CPU is around >=75% usage when editing, and around 80%-95% when rendering.

The GPU, when rendering, is around 45% usage, where Video Encode is around 45% and 3D is around 20%; when editing, it is around 26% usage, where 3D is at 20%.

Does this mean the CPU is the bottleneck?

Yea, it's looking like you need a CPU upgrade more than GPU at the moment. The 2070 super still should be good for plenty of games

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: GTA V, Overwatch, World War Z, Forza Horizon 4, Watch Dogs 1 up to Legion, Tom Clancy Rainbow 6 Siege, DaVinci Resolve, AutoCAD, Multisim, Visual Studio

Other details:

• I got a 1440p 144Hz monitor, but I'm ok with gaming at 60 FPS.
  • I do some coding and CAD, and I am satidfied with the performance.
  • The reason I am planning to upgrade is because on my current system, when I'm playing the timeline in DaVinci Resolve, the playback is laggy or it looks like a slide show, especially when I increase the speed of a clip or if it has animations. I would also like to speed up the rendering. The videos I'm frequently working on are 1080p60 and 4k60.

Current System:

• Ryzen 7 2700X
  • Cooler Master Hyper 212 Turbo LED
  • ROG Strix X570-F Gaming
  • 2x16GB T-Force Vulcan TUF Gaming Aliiance 3600MHz (Running at 2666MHz)
  • Colorful iGame RTX 2070 Super Advanced OC-V
  • 1TB T-Force Delta Max RGB SSD
  • 500GB Samsung 860 Evo
  • 256GB AData SX8200 Pro
  • 2x 2TB 3.5" Seagate Barracuda Compute 7200RPM
  • In Win P105 80+ Gold - 1050W
  • Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX TG

I'm planning to either upgrade my GPU or CPU, but I can't decide which of them I should upgrade. If I'll upgrade the CPU, I'll get the Ryzen 9 5950X, while for the GPU, I'll get RTX 3070 Ti.

I'm also planning to keep using my GPU on the system if I upgraded my GPU (for paravirtualization or Folding@Home), is the 1050W PSU enough?

Just have task manager open when you scroll the timeline and see what has 100% usage, cpu or gpu.

I am betting the cpu.

Unless you use nvidia encoders in resolve, then the new gpu will also speed up your render times, but again have msi afterburner or task manager open.

In task manager under gpu you need to find the right graph out of the 12 there is, otherwise you won't see the full gpu usage. In resolve i think it it is compute 0 or compute 1.

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

5 hours ago, Origami Cactus said:

Just have task manager open when you scroll the timeline and see what has 100% usage, cpu or gpu.

I am betting the cpu.

Unless you use nvidia encoders in resolve, then the new gpu will also speed up your render times, but again have msi afterburner or task manager open.

In task manager under gpu you need to find the right graph out of the 12 there is, otherwise you won't see the full gpu usage. In resolve i think it it is compute 0 or compute 1.

The GPU, when rendering, is around 45% usage, where Video Encode is around 45% and 3D is around 20%; when editing, it is around 26% usage, where 3D is at 20%.

19 minutes ago, milesuy said:

Yea, it's looking like you need a CPU upgrade more than GPU at the moment. The 2070 super still should be good for plenty of games

36 minutes ago, milesuy said:

Yes, that means that you don't use the GPU much. If you did temporal denoise or AI upscaling, maybe Optical Flow, then you would see 100% GPU usage and would benefit from a faster one, but as it currently stands, you would gain much more from a new CPU, you might even gain 10s of FPS in your games with a 5th gen Ryzen over your current 2nd gen one.

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.