Question regarding CS 750M and it's 2nd cpu cable

Thryphore

Hi, so I just got a new board with 2 8 pin cpu connectors. I noticed that my CX 750M power supply has a cpu connector. Do I use the 2nd pcie cable or do I need to buy a cable off the internet?

You only need to plug in one of the 8-pin EPS (CPU) power connectors. I'm assuming the board you bought is a pretty high end board aimed at overclocking? Only in extreme overclocking situations will you need that second 8-pin. 

Just now, GuiltySpark_ said:

You only need to plug in one of the 8-pin EPS (CPU) power connectors. I'm assuming the board you bought is a pretty high end board aimed at overclocking? Only in extreme overclocking situations will you need that second 8-pin. 

I am pushing 140 watts on my overclock so I probably do need the 2nd

14 minutes ago, Thryphore said:

One 8-pin EPS is capable of supplying 235W. So don't worry about it.

15 minutes ago, Thryphore said:

Not even close lol. A 12900k can pull near 300W and it doesn't need the extra 8-pin. 

9 minutes ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

Not even close lol. A 12900k can pull near 300W and it doesn't need the extra 8-pin. 

I was looking online and they were saying an 8 pin can only support 150, which is why I asked this question. Looking more closely, those results were for gpus, not cpus. Thanks for your answer!

4 hours ago, Thryphore said:

I was looking online and they were saying an 8 pin can only support 150, which is why I asked this question. Looking more closely, those results were for gpus, not cpus. Thanks for your answer!

Actually, the GPU connector supplies more than 150W.   Problem is, there are people that only understand bits and pieces and then regurgitates other numbers as complete fact.

You likely won't need the 2nd CPU power cable.

Corsair CSM or CXM? Your title says CSM and post says CXM. Doesn't really matter since they both use the same cables. If you want to buy an additional EPS12V (CPU) power cable both the CSM and CXM will support Type 3 and Type 4 Corsair EPS12V cables. Both the CS750M/CX750M have 2 8pin plugs on the PSU that can be used for either PCIe or CPU power cables (in addition to the CPU power cable that is fixed).

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Accessories-|-Parts/PC-Components/Power-Supplies/Type-4-Sleeved-black-8-pin-(4%2B4)-ATX12V-EPS12V-Cable%2C-compatible-with-all-CORSAIR-type-4-pin-out-PSU/p/CP-8920141

image.png

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450