Linux workstation. How does this build look?

Budget (including currency):  €2000

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Web development. Lots of docker containers. No games. 

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): Needs to support 2x dell ultra sharp 27 inch displays.

I have this list so far: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/Akabusi/saved/#view=BjH74D

I haven’t built a machine in almost 15 years so any advice would be great?

do you actually need any sort of graphics horsepower, or is it just about driving the displays?

because if all you need is driving the displays, get something with integrated graphics, and either ballin' out somewhere else, or cut that budget in half.

Yes it’s just to power the displays. So I could drop the card and just get a mobo with integrated gfx?

@akabusi

For the SSD, I'd go with a Samsung 980 pro if you have the budget. The Crucial P5 plus is a great drive, but the Samsung has higher random IOPS and that's what will give you the most noticeable performance for code compilations and lots of VMs.

By the same token, I'd try to get a cl14 or cl16 memory kit, even if the MTU is 3200. The lower latency will be more noticeable for professional developer tasks than the faster MTU throughput.

Granted these are both relatively minor things to improve, but all else being equal, they will give you a bit more optimized performance for your use case.

To @manikyath's point, that GPU is way overkill. But you can get something like a 6500xt for much less, since you only need to power 2 displays, and don't intend to game. But I would suggest staying on the 5950x CPU if you have the budget, it is a fantastic development CPU esspecially if you're running lots of containers and need tons of threads. In which case you would have to have a dedicated GPU.

The alternative to the 5950x is something like a 12900k with integrated graphics or even a 12700k. The performance is great on the 12th gen Intel as well, but the power draw is higher, and you'd likely want a 360mm AIO for the extra heat.

9 minutes ago, akabusi said:

Yes it’s just to power the displays. So I could drop the card and just get a mobo with integrated gfx?

The CPU you selected is fine and all, but doesn't have integrated graphics. You'll need some sort of dedicated graphics card. The one you chose is way overkill for you.

lumpy chunks

Expand to help Bunny reach world domination

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to
(")_(") help him on his way to world domination.

-Rakshit Jain

Linux user here. Either Intel or AMD is fine for what you want since those processors are well supported in Linux.

As for your graphics card, if you don't want any headaches, get an AMD Radeon. Even if Nvidia is now officially releasing drivers for Linux, it's still a bit early so there will be issues. 

The deep blue sky is infinitely high and crystal clear.

私はオタクではありません。