PC (almost never) boots up

Greenexus

Hi everyone, recently I've had issues with my computer failing to boot up after being shut down. About two weeks ago, my computer failed to boot up for the first time. After disassembling it, and reseating everything it started back up (after a handful attempts). Afterwards, it worked normally for a few days (being shut down every night and started every morning) but after around a week the issue reappeared. After around a day and a half of frustration, rebuilding, lots of checking it booted up again. I've decided not to turn it off and just put it to sleep every night but yesterday I had to shut it down (planned power outage) and I haven't been able to start the computer ever since. I've tried to paperclip method and the PSU fan spins without any issues. When I want to try to turn it on, I have to turn off the power supply, wait a few minutes before switching it back on and then I can try to press the power button. After pressing, I hear a click in the PSU followed by short start attempt (fans spin around for half a second). Additional power button presses without PSU reset don't have any reaction at all. My most probable guess is short circuit protection kicking in however this does not seem probable for a few reasons - 1. I've rebuilt the computer out of the case with bare minimum components (single stick of ram, no gpu, no peripherals) and this did not change anything (so short circuit with the case is unlikely) 2. In the past when I encountered these issues (and was able to bootup after some time) there were absolutely no problems in the system, not a single crash, stutter or anything (as might have been the case if the motherboard was somehow faulty). I've also checked the CMOS battery with a multimeter and visually inspected every component. Another guess I have is the heavy GPU might have damaged the motherboard however the motherboard is solid, there has been GPU support and there is no observable "bend". I sadly don't have any access to alternative components which I could test with and going to a PC repair shop is little too expensive for me now:/ There haven't been any recent changes to the build and these issues have appeared after 2 years of problem-free usage. Are there any alternative things to try to get it to boot up or atleast any other tests I can do that would help pinpoint the problematic part ? Thank you so much for any answers

Component list:
CPU: AMD RYZEN 5 3600 (I use the default heatsink)

MB: MSI MPG X570 Gaming Edge Wifi

GPU: XFX Radeon RX 5700 XT THICC II Ultra 8G

PSU: Seasonic Focus GM - 650 Gold.

Probably less relevant but for completeness:

1x SSD HP EX900 1TB

1x SSD Samsung EVO 970 1TB

2 Sticks of corsair DDR4 3000MHz CL15 Vengeance 8GB ram

1x NZXT H510 case

did you try clearing the cmos? you said you did some stuff with the cmos battery but you never said you tried clearing it.

if it cant start up at all its probably an issue with the bios/cpu/motherboard, does that board have bios flashback? if it does try downloading the latest bios onto a flash drive and update it.

PC Specifications: Intel i9-14900KF, 5.9GHz all core locked, 5GHz ring, 1.45v Medium LLC, E-cores and HT disabled | MSI RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 + Thermal Grizzly contact frame | 2x16 G.Skill Trident Z5 7400MHz 34-44-44-34 1T 1.45v (Tuned Subtimings, Hynix A-Die) | Gigabyte Z790 AORUS Elite AX | Windows 10/11 EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 T2 Phanteks P400A (Black non-rgb version, Phanteks T30 fans 3 intake (On AIO), 1 exhaust) | SK Hynix Platinum P41 2TB PCIE 4.0 (Boot drive), Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SATA

Displays: MSI MAG 271QPX 1440p 360Hz 27" QD-OLED | LG UltraGear 27GP950-B, 4K 144Hz (@120hz) 27" IPS

Desktop Audio: STAX SR-007 MK2 Electrostatic Headphones | STAX SRM-400S Amp | Schiit Bifrost 2/64 (NOS mode, USB in, XLR out)

Mobile Audio: Sennheiser IE 900 IEMs using included 4.4mm cable | FiiO KA13 "Desktop mode" Disabled

Peripherals: Razer Huntsman V2 Full size wired with linear optical switch | Logitech G502 Hero

5 minutes ago, rippy4500 said:

did you try clearing the cmos? you said you did some stuff with the cmos battery but you never said you tried clearing it.

if it cant start up at all its probably an issue with the bios/cpu/motherboard, does that board have bios flashback? if it does try downloading the latest bios onto a flash drive and update it.

Thanks for the reply! I will try clearing the cmos. The board does indeed have bios flashback but is it possible to update bios without having any power (or starting the computer, sorry if those are two different things) ?

2 hours ago, Greenexus said:

Thanks for the reply! I will try clearing the cmos. The board does indeed have bios flashback but is it possible to update bios without having any power (or starting the computer, sorry if those are two different things) ?

ive never owned a motherboard with bios flashback so im not sure what you need to do. See what your motherboards manual says about bios flashback. I know you need power though, it cant write to the bios chip without any power.

PC Specifications: Intel i9-14900KF, 5.9GHz all core locked, 5GHz ring, 1.45v Medium LLC, E-cores and HT disabled | MSI RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 + Thermal Grizzly contact frame | 2x16 G.Skill Trident Z5 7400MHz 34-44-44-34 1T 1.45v (Tuned Subtimings, Hynix A-Die) | Gigabyte Z790 AORUS Elite AX | Windows 10/11 EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 T2 Phanteks P400A (Black non-rgb version, Phanteks T30 fans 3 intake (On AIO), 1 exhaust) | SK Hynix Platinum P41 2TB PCIE 4.0 (Boot drive), Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SATA

Displays: MSI MAG 271QPX 1440p 360Hz 27" QD-OLED | LG UltraGear 27GP950-B, 4K 144Hz (@120hz) 27" IPS

Desktop Audio: STAX SR-007 MK2 Electrostatic Headphones | STAX SRM-400S Amp | Schiit Bifrost 2/64 (NOS mode, USB in, XLR out)

Mobile Audio: Sennheiser IE 900 IEMs using included 4.4mm cable | FiiO KA13 "Desktop mode" Disabled

Peripherals: Razer Huntsman V2 Full size wired with linear optical switch | Logitech G502 Hero

13 hours ago, rippy4500 said:

ive never owned a motherboard with bios flashback so im not sure what you need to do. See what your motherboards manual says about bios flashback. I know you need power though, it cant write to the bios chip without any power.

So I've cleared the cmos and rebuilt the whole things without any success. I am not able to update bios due to the power issues. Do you have any tips on what I can do ?