One CPU core is always at 80-100% without any process using over 10% of the CPU.

Just recently installed Ubuntu to get into Linux but ran into a problem of it being slow, apps taking time to open and videos dropping framerate down to like 10fps.

I also noticed that my CPU 2 core is basically always at 100% or is jumping up and down like a monkey while other cores don't go above 10% and there is no process using over 10% of the CPU. What can be the problem and can I fix it?

3 minutes ago, Juicy_b0i said:

Just recently installed Ubuntu to get into Linux but ran into a problem of it being slow, apps taking time to open and videos dropping framerate down to like 10fps.

I also noticed that my CPU 2 core is basically always at 100% or is jumping up and down like a monkey while other cores don't go above 10% and there is no process using over 10% of the CPU. What can be the problem and can I fix it?

System specs?

7 minutes ago, Naijin said:

System specs?

i3 10100F

GTX 1050Ti

8Gb RAM

AsRock B460M  Steel Legend

13 minutes ago, Juicy_b0i said:

i3 10100F

Do remember that with a quad core like that one, 10% of the CPU is ~40% of a CPU core, so if you have 2 processes at ~10% usage you can be using 80% of a single core pretty easily. Usually the Linux scheduler is better than that, but I've seen dumber things happen. 

11 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Do remember that with a quad core like that one, 10% of the CPU is ~40% of a CPU core, so if you have 2 processes at ~10% usage you can be using 80% of a single core pretty easily. Usually the Linux scheduler is better than that, but I've seen dumber things happen. 

But the CPU core usage is like this all the time no matter what I do. I just turn on the the pc, don't open anything and one core is on crack and all the other ones are just chillin'. Never had this problem on windows nor I ever had reached close to the limit of my CPU power.

CPU usage.png

Can't you check which processes running that high with Htop/Top?

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

See if you can find the rogue process by switching to all processes in the menu. 38604542_systemmonitor.thumb.png.1f550c7dc0ea29ece4e12258f524e188.png

lumpy chunks

Expand to help Bunny reach world domination

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to
(")_(") help him on his way to world domination.

-Rakshit Jain

23 hours ago, Juicy_b0i said:

i3 10100F

GTX 1050Ti

8Gb RAM

AsRock B460M  Steel Legend

Check process usage with TOP or HTOP, HTOP is better than TOP though.

You'll also want to view all process too including system and kernel processes.

"Only proprietary software vendors want proprietary software." - Dexter's Law