Broken wifi antenna

Conor1001

As the title says, one of the antenna for my motherboard (MSI PRO Z690-A WIFI DDR4) has seemingly broken, the connector between the antenna and the motherboard is loose and the wifi is basically unusable. It was a bit “loose” when I first got it but it worked, until now. I was wondering if there was a fix for this or if I need to get a new antenna if I need a specific to replace it or if any one would do. Thanks in advance for any help

dumb question, but have you just tried to screw the antenna a bit tighter onto the MB.  Looks like it just screws on?

Just now, mmk said:

dumb question, but have you just tried to screw the antenna a bit tighter onto the MB.  Looks like it just screws on?

I unscrewed both and screwed them back on and they’re both quite secure now, but the wifi is still not working properly and online games are still basically unplayable 

Have you checked to see if wifi is enabled in bios and windows, incase it was some how disabled?

5 minutes ago, mmk said:

Have you checked to see if wifi is enabled in bios and windows, incase it was some how disabled?

The wifi is working it’s just way slower than it should be 

4 minutes ago, Conor1001 said:

The wifi is working it’s just way slower than it should be 

What are you getting and what should you get from your isp?

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

2 minutes ago, Stormseeker9 said:

What are you getting and what should you get from your isp?

The speed changes constantly but running speed tests it’s anywhere between 2 and 15 mbp/s for download, usually on the lower end of that and 90-200 ping, usually on the higher end of that. My phone in the same location and same wifi gets in the 40’s for download and sub 10 ping

@Conor1001Oh something definitely not right there, that’s quite the excessive ping.

you getting 15mbps or 15MB/s?

has anything recently changed in your house, router, place of the pc?

is there another wifi device besides your phone you can test with? I tend to use www.speedtest.net for testing 🙂

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

3 minutes ago, Stormseeker9 said:

@Conor1001Oh something definitely not right there, that’s quite the excessive ping.

you getting 15mbps or 15MB/s?

has anything recently changed in your house, router, place of the pc?

is there another wifi device besides your phone you can test with? I tend to use www.speedtest.net for testing 🙂

Mbps, nothing has changed. That’s the website I’m using. I have a laptop but it will be a bit of a hassle to get. 

In task manager I’m getting ~30-50 mbps receive and less than 1 mbps send, not sure if that’s helpful or not but thought I’d mention it 

1 minute ago, Conor1001 said:

Mbps, nothing has changed. That’s the website I’m using. I have a laptop but it will be a bit of a hassle to get. 

In task manager I’m getting ~30-50 mbps receive and less than 1 mbps send, not sure if that’s helpful or not but thought I’d mention it 

I mean ~1.9MB/s is not really good at all. What speed should you be getting from your ISP, just for reference purposes? Wifi is more often than not slower than using a Ethernet cable but the speeds you are getting are insanely slow.

4 minutes ago, Stormseeker9 said:

I mean ~1.9MB/s is not really good at all. What speed should you be getting from your ISP, just for reference purposes? Wifi is more often than not slower than using a Ethernet cable but the speeds you are getting are insanely slow.

It’s usually perfectly fine, was working fine yesterday but when I went to play a game today it was unplayable as ping was in the high hundreds. I unscrewed and screwed back in the antennae to see if that would help, it did a little bit but online multiplayer games are still unplayable and wifi in general is far slower than it usually is 

I’m just completely stumped as to what the issue is 

10 minutes ago, Stormseeker9 said:

What speed should you be getting from your ISP, just for reference purposes? 

@Conor1001?

And what router are you using? Is it just the one or do you have multiple ?

1 minute ago, Stormseeker9 said:

@Conor1001?

And what router are you using? Is it just the one or do you have multiple ?

Just one. The issue is almost certainly with the pc as it’s the only thing having issues

Ok so I’ve done a bit more testing and there doesn’t appear to be any stand out issue with any one of the parts. I’ve switched the antenna and tried each individually in both slots and together at the same time. Everything seems to be working but just much worse than it should be 

18 minutes ago, Conor1001 said:

Ok so I’ve done a bit more testing and there doesn’t appear to be any stand out issue with any one of the parts. I’ve switched the antenna and tried each individually in both slots and together at the same time. Everything seems to be working but just much worse than it should be 

Sorry I can’t help you any further. Seems to be an issue with the wifi module on your mobo. 

Does the pin inside the antenna's connector (an SMA) feel loose? Sometimes they can break off inside, especially if the antenna is hit or the connector gets over-tightened.

Are the connectors on the motherboard side loose?

Sounds like you might just need a new WiFi card.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.