Home Media server with Trunas

So i have a old pc that i am thinking about reusing as a home media server that has specs like this. i3-3240t apu with no graphics card and 8gb ram(4*2). So is it capable of handling normal media server storage stuiff like keeping files and movies and stuff on it while using my new laptop as my daily driver. Also as i saw in the new ltt video about building the a affordable nas with modular parts and truenas so can i play back my saved mp4 movies and mp3 movies that are on the nas without running plex on the media server? like just the files are saved on the nas and i am opening them with vlc from the laptop and yes i use ethernet most over the time. Also building the nas with truenas can we access the storage through the mobile phones? 

Yea those specs are more than plenty for a nas.

You can just play the mp4 files on your pc over the network share, you dont' need plex

You can mount smb shares on a phone, or use something like plex that gives you a nice interface

49 minutes ago, Souranil21 chakraborty said:

So i have a old pc that i am thinking about reusing as a home media server that has specs like this. i3-3240t apu with no graphics card and 8gb ram(4*2). So is it capable of handling normal media server storage stuiff like keeping files and movies and stuff on it while using my new laptop as my daily driver. Also as i saw in the new ltt video about building the a affordable nas with modular parts and truenas so can i play back my saved mp4 movies and mp3 movies that are on the nas without running plex on the media server? like just the files are saved on the nas and i am opening them with vlc from the laptop and yes i use ethernet most over the time. Also building the nas with truenas can we access the storage through the mobile phones? 

39 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Yea those specs are more than plenty for a nas.

You can just play the mp4 files on your pc over the network share, you dont' need plex

You can mount smb shares on a phone, or use something like plex that gives you a nice interface

As Wizardy stated you dont need PLEX for this, but may I add that PLEX in my personal experience was very simple and easy to use. If you want the simple and easy to use experience def go with PLEX. 

3 hours ago, Pog Bob said:

As Wizardy stated you dont need PLEX for this, but may I add that PLEX in my personal experience was very simple and easy to use. If you want the simple and easy to use experience def go with PLEX. 

Same but replace PLEX with Jellyfin or Emby. Plex has privacy issues.

"Only proprietary software vendors want proprietary software." - Dexter's Law

you'll be fine, plex is definetly nice and makes streaming and organizing your media much nicer. If you go this route invest in a small SSD for plex to use to store thumb nails and database files and have it transcode to ram (there are alot of videos of this - it changes depending on the OS) this will save some wear and tear on the drives and speeds things up alot. Plex doesnt need alot of horsepower as long as the clients support direct play of the media files. It can transcode if the requesting device does not support the media format, this is where your cpu will come into play but you should be able to do 1-2 clients and if you configure plex and your router/firewall you can easily access your media from outside of your home. It also does really well with music.