Replacing Thermal paste on a GPU

irishbeast

Quick question. 

Is this as easy as replacing it on a CPU or does it vary depending on GPUI. I've never realty taken a GPU apart but there are some really good deals out there at the moment for Radeon 470s, 580s but the cards are obviously old. 

As I was going to purchase them toi mine with (they can still mine very efficiently despite age) but just wanted to know how esasy it is.

Also in the world of TP are all things pretty much equal or are some brands better than others? Stupid question maybe but if you don't know you don't know. I'm building up a nice little mining collection from cards which are more or less pas their shelf life for gaming and there's reasonable profit to be made. Not megabucks but my dfw cards currently cover tne entire energy bill in my place and a bit om top. wo IO am more than happy with that,. 

I do have a 3080 which I bought to game (but do mine on it as well) and of course it blows the others out of the water in terms of hash rate but uses about 3 times the power.. I guess if you could get those hash rates , even with the power usage at MSRP (unlikely ) then it would be much quicker gains but I'm in no hurry/. 

Anyway I'm going off on a tangent. Back to the thermal paste! questin

It's a little more involved than replacing paste on a CPU, but not terribly difficult. It will vary from card to card depending on cooler design, but there are plenty of guides/walkthroughs online to make it easy to figure out.

Most paste will be similar performance as long as it's not bottom-of-the-barrel cheap. Name brand stuff like Artic or Noctua will perform close enough to not worry about it.

Be sure to QUOTE or TAG me in your reply so I see it!

CPU Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra MOBO Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming RAM Crucial Ballistix 3600 MHz CL16 32 GB PSU Corsair RM1000x COOLING Noctua NH-D15

Kryonaut is one of highest performing thermal pastes that are not liquid metal. Don't go with liquid metal because it's super finicky and just not worth it. Also be aware that RTX 3000 cards use terrible thermal pads that will tear up during disassembly of card cooler. You'll need to replace those too with better ones, but they are very specific with thickness so pay attention with that.

28 minutes ago, irishbeast said:

Quick question. 

Is this as easy as replacing it on a CPU or does it vary depending on GPUI. I've never realty taken a GPU apart but there are some really good deals out there at the moment for Radeon 470s, 580s but the cards are obviously old. 

As I was going to purchase them toi mine with (they can still mine very efficiently despite age) but just wanted to know how esasy it is.

Also in the world of TP are all things pretty much equal or are some brands better than others? Stupid question maybe but if you don't know you don't know. I'm building up a nice little mining collection from cards which are more or less pas their shelf life for gaming and there's reasonable profit to be made. Not megabucks but my dfw cards currently cover tne entire energy bill in my place and a bit om top. wo IO am more than happy with that,. 

I do have a 3080 which I bought to game (but do mine on it as well) and of course it blows the others out of the water in terms of hash rate but uses about 3 times the power.. I guess if you could get those hash rates , even with the power usage at MSRP (unlikely ) then it would be much quicker gains but I'm in no hurry/. 

Anyway I'm going off on a tangent. Back to the thermal paste! questin

As said above, DO NOT use liquid metal. Liquid metal eats copper, and it’s conductive and can somewhat easily run. 

Thermal grizzly kryonaut is the best option.

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

Thanks all for the awesome responses!

Just FYI I won't be taking apart any of my 3000 series cards. I have various Old Radeon's (470,480,580) that may well need a polish at some point. 

I just use them to mine and have GPU-z monitoring the temps which are all fine so far. I did pick another up today which I have no yet received that I suspect is going to have been through the was. Its hard to know with GPU's Though. I remember watching an LTT video where he used the same card, one which spent its life as a miner and after 5 years it performed as well as the "regular" card

most cards only require you to undo the 4 screws, but some require you to undo more.
heating up the card can help with older pasts for pulling of the cooler of the PCB.
don't force the cooler of the PCB, just slighty twist and pull and it should come off pretty easy.

use non conductive paste for repasting and i highly recommend manually spreading the paste, there's no IHS here so you need to fully cover the DIE.

Recent build: Fractal Design - Torrent reviewMeshify C / The 1080TI Strix Noctua modDefine S X58 Xeon build  / Specs: i7-14700KF 5.8Ghz - ASUS TUF RTX 4080 super - G.Skill Ripjaws 32GB 4000mhz CL18 -  Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X d4 - Torrent Fractal Design white - EVGA 850W Supernova G2 80+ Gold - Noctua D15

As others mentioned, it's very doable as long as you're careful about it.

I would be gentle pulling the cooler off the PCB, as the GPU silicon doesn't have an integrated heat spreader, unlike a CPU (the metal part that you apply thermal paste to on a CPU). Because of this, it can be a lot easier to damage the GPU if you're not careful.

I actually couldn't underclock my 5 year old GPU to make it as slow as a next-gen console.

#pcmasterraceproblems

~Slick