Dual boot laptop

Hello all, I’ve recently purchased a laptop that was setup to dual boot. I’d like for it not too but I can’t seem to figure out how. I’ve reinstalled windows, and even tried to consolidate the disk. Any help would be much appreciated. 

Which other OS is it dual booting with?

and

what partitions does disk management in windows show? (screenshot would help much better than an explanation)

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

Whats your issue?

1 minute ago, Juggern0ttt said:

I’ve recently purchased a laptop that was setup to dual boot

By dual boot you mean it has two operating systems installed, ie Windows and Linux

Or do you mean your laptop has more than one storage device and  windows shows C and D drive?

It’s Ubuntu and another Linux build. It loads up before windows boots. But will auto load windows after a few seconds.  There are 2 drives. C: m.2 256gb which I wiped and reinstalled windows on, and a 1tb d: that I reformatted. It’s a Alienware if that helps.

I suspect there is still a partition on one of the drives that has the grub bootloader used to boot the linux oses. Usually after formatting and reinstalling windows it is overwritten by the windows bootloader.

You may be able to bypass the grub bootloader by setting your windows drive as first boot device in the bios.

However to remove grub you need to delete the grub partition using windows disk managerment Can you post a screenshot of windows disk management so we can assist on what partition to delete.

5 hours ago, C2dan88 said:

I suspect there is still a partition on one of the drives that has the grub bootloader used to boot the linux oses. Usually after formatting and reinstalling windows it is overwritten by the windows bootloader.

You may be able to bypass the grub bootloader by setting your windows drive as first boot device in the bios.

However to remove grub you need to delete the grub partition using windows disk managerment Can you post a screenshot of windows disk management so we can assist on what partition to delete.

A87C9B1B-0193-4AB3-94D1-D3163E268390.png

I see you have two efi partitions.

To confirm which efi partition contains grub. I need to you do a quick test by physically disconnecting drive 0 (1TB drive) from the system.

After disconnecting it power on the system and see if you can boot to windows without that drive connected.

If can boot into windows without that drive connected (and you dont see the grub bootloader) then you can shutdown the system again and reconnect the drive and boot back into windows

Open command prompt as administrator and run the following commands one at a time

diskpart
select disk 0
select partition 1
delete partition
exit

If you cannot boot back into without that drive connected then run the same instructions above but change disk 0 to disk 1 and partition 1 to partition 2