PSU

K_BadAtPC

I just have a few questions about PSUs. First off, what's the difference between the corsair RMx and the Corsair RM? Secondly, what's a good cheap 850w power supply?

1 hour ago, K_BadAtPC said:

I just have a few questions about PSUs. First off, what's the difference between the corsair RMx and the Corsair RM? Secondly, what's a good cheap 850w power supply?

There’s apparently a thread on that regarding the CX and CXm though it may not apply.  Apparently the CX was older, more expensive, and had a better safety system (which is the main reason one willingly pays more for a PSU in the first place)

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

42 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

There’s apparently a thread on that regarding the CX and CXm though it may not apply.  Apparently the CX was older, more expensive, and had a better safety system (which is the main reason one willingly pays more for a PSU in the first place)

What the actual F word?

2 hours ago, K_BadAtPC said:

Depends on the generation.  But for the most part, an RM is an RMx without Japanese brand capacitors.  Though the newest RMx (often called "2021 version") uses a MagLev fan instead of rifle bearing.

3 hours ago, K_BadAtPC said:

The RMx uses in-cable capacitors. They don't really help anything and just make cable managing harder. The RM doesn't have these.

2 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

What the actual F word?

Depends on the generation.  But for the most part, an RM is an RMx without Japanese brand capacitors.  Though the newest RMx (often called "2021 version") uses a MagLev fan instead of rifle bearing.

It was a thing I read here.  You feel it’s incorrect I take it?   As for the fan thing that is interesting.   Old maglev fans didn’t work well unless they were vertical, which is rare with PSUs, apparently technology has improved.

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

11 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

It was a thing I read here.  You feel it’s incorrect I take it?  

He's asking about the RM and RMx and you're talking about the CX and CX-M.  Totally unrelated in every single way.

11 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Old maglev fans didn’t work well unless they were vertical, which is rare with PSUs, apparently technology has improved.

I don't know what "old maglev" fans you're talking about, but they shouldn't care about orientation by their very nature.

11 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

He's asking about the RM and RMx and you're talking about the CX and CX-M.  Totally unrelated in every single way.

I don't know what "old maglev" fans you're talking about, but they shouldn't care about orientation by their very nature.

That was my worry.  I was quite unsure.  It was all I had though and the post was old.  I go by the “better a dumb answer than no answer” rule of thumb.  So it’s correct just inapplicable?