Ethernet Surge Protectors with Ground Wires

logicdefyer
Go to solution Solved by brwainer,

Look closely at the screw in the center of your outlet covers. This screws into the metal housing of the socket, right? And the ground wire is connected to that housing as well, right? If not, you can replace the socket with one where the housing is grounded and therefore grounds the center screw. At that point you can just install the cable like this image on the right side:

image.jpeg.d9295ffad4c8e33571c2c95b200bbf05.jpeg
Or, you can get a device like the left side, the keywords to search for are “ESD Ground Plug”, but those are almost always for a banana plug.

Source for the image: https://electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/442373/how-can-i-get-ground-from-a-nema-5-15r-wall-socket-without-electricity

Hi,
I had a case of my router getting burnt (smoke coming out of it) due to current coming in through the cat6 cables that come into my home. I have gotten one of these to make sure this does not happen again.

How do i use this wire with the buildings grounding systems (any small plug or something i can plug or screw the round end into ?) , other sources list that i need to send a rod into the ground (cant do that and need to use the buildings system).

image.thumb.png.3565a3b5420aae03fc9f14bc5b4947ad.png

Also is there anyway to open them up and make sure they are not fake , unfortunately i cant get brand name ones where i live.

Look closely at the screw in the center of your outlet covers. This screws into the metal housing of the socket, right? And the ground wire is connected to that housing as well, right? If not, you can replace the socket with one where the housing is grounded and therefore grounds the center screw. At that point you can just install the cable like this image on the right side:

image.jpeg.d9295ffad4c8e33571c2c95b200bbf05.jpeg
Or, you can get a device like the left side, the keywords to search for are “ESD Ground Plug”, but those are almost always for a banana plug.

Source for the image: https://electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/442373/how-can-i-get-ground-from-a-nema-5-15r-wall-socket-without-electricity

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

• 2 weeks later...

@brwainer thanks a lot for your reply , based on some research i did from your reply it seems connecting the leads to the ground jack is enough.

I did not find a ready made plug for it where i lived and ended up jerryrigging my own solution.

Its amazing what free software and a 120$ 3d printer can do for you,

Solution -

Top of the Plug
image.png.fc98c5c2b1d0de33a575f14da176f0da.png

Bottom Side of the Plug , the bottom two plugs are 3d printed.
image.png.55725eebf7d9651726a85a2ebd19e5fb.png