Different type of youtube scam (scam recommended by youtube)

Alvin853

Recently there has been a lot of public discussion on the scam YT comments that are all over your common channels, pretending to be the creator, telling you you won something, text me on Telegram or whatever.

But over the past couple of weeks Youtube keeps recommending me a whole different type of scam:
image.thumb.png.e5f2d42efd985d48b71da85d595ff9bc.png

Every time I watch a SpaceX event like the recent Crew-4 Mission, or AX-1, or some other official SpaceX broadcast, Youtube recommends me these live streams. They're basically just a recording of Elon Musk giving an interview, next to the interview they put up a fake twitter message that Elon Musk is giving away free BTC/ETH, and then a link to a page where you find BTC/ETH wallets to send crypto to, and you'll get twice what you sent in return (yeah right). These streams have thousands of viewers, which I hope most of them are fake to get YT to recommend those streams, but YT really needs to work on their recommendation system, recommending this many scams within just a couple minutes. I didn't search for any of those streams, I found them all in my recommended list just clicking from one to the next.

Apparently most of the "info" pages that the streams link to are registered by russians, so YT should have a pretty good idea who is behind those scams, yet they're still recommending these videos. 

Most of the ones above are already removed by now, at least YT is responding to reports quickly, but similar ones pop up constantly.

What do you think? Is YT going to lose popularity tolerating all these scams?

33 minutes ago, Alvin853 said:

Recently there has been a lot of public discussion on the scam YT comments that are all over your common channels, pretending to be the creator, telling you you won something, text me on Telegram or whatever.

But over the past couple of weeks Youtube keeps recommending me a whole different type of scam:
image.thumb.png.e5f2d42efd985d48b71da85d595ff9bc.png

Every time I watch a SpaceX event like the recent Crew-4 Mission, or AX-1, or some other official SpaceX broadcast, Youtube recommends me these live streams. They're basically just a recording of Elon Musk giving an interview, next to the interview they put up a fake twitter message that Elon Musk is giving away free BTC/ETH, and then a link to a page where you find BTC/ETH wallets to send crypto to, and you'll get twice what you sent in return (yeah right). These streams have thousands of viewers, which I hope most of them are fake to get YT to recommend those streams, but YT really needs to work on their recommendation system, recommending this many scams within just a couple minutes. I didn't search for any of those streams, I found them all in my recommended list just clicking from one to the next.

Apparently most of the "info" pages that the streams link to are registered by russians, so YT should have a pretty good idea who is behind those scams, yet they're still recommending these videos. 

Most of the ones above are already removed by now, at least YT is responding to reports quickly, but similar ones pop up constantly.

What do you think? Is YT going to lose popularity tolerating all these scams?

I doubt it's going to loose popularity. Just look at yt ads, there are a lot of scams, and most people seem to ignore them really.

please tag me for a response, It's really hard to keep tabs on every thread I reply to. thanks!!

2 minutes ago, Dillpickle23422 said:

I doubt it's going to loose popularity. Just look at yt ads, there are a lot of scams, and most people seem to ignore them really.

The problem with these scams is: from what I understand the scammers are using hacked YT channels that already have a lot of subscribers/views to make them seem more popular. These scammers probably have a very large bounty on hacking LTT YT channels right now. Some creators lose their entire YT career because these scams are extremely lucrative.

1 minute ago, Alvin853 said:

The problem with these scams is: from what I understand the scammers are using hacked YT channels that already have a lot of subscribers/views to make them seem more popular. These scammers probably have a very large bounty on hacking LTT YT channels right now. Some creators lose their entire YT career because these scams are extremely lucrative.

True. I didn't think of that. If something huge goes down, with,say, linus being hacked, I think youtube has some shit to fix. However, I think with proper safety precautions, you could avoid it. 2fa, giant randomized password, changing passwords monthly etc. could stop this. I think youtube could do way better with noticing suspicious and foreign logins, as well. (my spam google acct was hacked, and I was not alerted at all that someone logged in until I dug deep into my security settings after noticing new sign up emails I didn't sign up for)

please tag me for a response, It's really hard to keep tabs on every thread I reply to. thanks!!

16 minutes ago, Dillpickle23422 said:

True. I didn't think of that. If something huge goes down, with,say, linus being hacked, I think youtube has some shit to fix. However, I think with proper safety precautions, you could avoid it. 2fa, giant randomized password, changing passwords monthly etc. could stop this. I think youtube could do way better with noticing suspicious and foreign logins, as well. (my spam google acct was hacked, and I was not alerted at all that someone logged in until I dug deep into my security settings after noticing new sign up emails I didn't sign up for)

On the other hand, they probably won't target such a large channel, because then YT will do something and the scam gets too much publicity, and it will no longer work. They seem to mostly be targeting channels that have tens of thousands subscribers, big enough to land in YT recommended, but small enough to not create a big response.

True. I didn't think of that. But I Tink with proper safety precautions, you could avoid it. 2fa, strong password, changing passwords monthly etc. could stop this. I think youtube could do way better with noticing suspicious and foreign logins, as well. (my spam google acct was hacked, and I was not alerted at all that someone logged in until I dug deep into my security settings after noticing new sign up emails I didn't sign up for

1 minute ago, Marylin said:

True. I didn't think of that. But I Tink with proper safety precautions, you could avoid it. 2fa, strong password, changing passwords monthly etc. could stop this. I think youtube could do way better with noticing suspicious and foreign logins, as well. (my spam google acct was hacked, and I was not alerted at all that someone logged in until I dug deep into my security settings after noticing new sign up emails I didn't sign up for

I did some more research, and this exact hack happened to a big german youtube channel recently, 8M subscribers. From what he said, there was never a login from any other device, so 2fa, strong password doesn't stop this at all. It appears that the hackers somehow get access to the browser cookie that stores the session id when you're logged in, and then just use your own session on their device. And who logs out of google everytime they're done using the computer? 

• 10 months later...
On 4/29/2022 at 7:29 PM, Dillpickle23422 said:

Looks like LTT couldn't avoid it after all.

2 hours ago, Alvin853 said:

Looks like LTT couldn't avoid it after all.

apparently lmAOOOO. Hope they get everything back

image.thumb.png.a2e937b0f62b81045ae7fbb2519dd873.pngHere's another instance of the scam but they're pretending to be valve

Edit to ad: do not scan the qr code, do not go to source2cs(dot)pro do not pass go do not collect $200

Resident Mozilla Shill.   Typed on my Ortholinear JJ40 custom keyboard
               __     I am the ASCIIDino.
              / _)
     _.----._/ /      If you can see me you 
    /         /       must put me in your 
 __/ (  | (  |        signature for 24 hours.
/__.-'|_|--|_|