Ther perfect premium Linux gaming experience?

I dunno, I get an average 10 to 20 more fps on gentoo than I do most any other distro....

I used to be a Fedora guy thinking it was so solid and stable, but I kept getting bit by random bugs from it being so leading-edge. Until one day I got full on burned by an update that broke my graphics stack so both Wayland and Xorg became a flashy, glitchy, and crashy mess.

That was the final straw and I moved that PC to Debian because I was so afraid of updates. Then the new school year rolled around and I moved it to PopOS, which the fractional scaling sucked so I moved it to Ubuntu which it's running now. Ubuntu is super annoying to deal with sometimes in the ways Windows is, but I found a work around for everything so far.

Ubuntu still sucks though so I'm gonna move the laptop to OpenSUSE Leap when 15.4 releases this summer. I've been running OpenSUSE Tumbleweed on the TV PC and it's been really great and user friendly.

lumpy chunks

Expand to help Bunny reach world domination

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to
(")_(") help him on his way to world domination.

-Rakshit Jain

Hey Linux Northwest, I use to go to that. 🙂

Fedora is a horrible distro. It's bleeding edge RHEL code and all of IBM/RedHat's garbage ideas and expanding complexity (that is intentional to drive the RHEL support market) land there first.. I recommend avoiding it at all costs.

If you really want to go fast.. Gentoo can be compiled for link time optimizations. (similar to Intel's Clear Linux) https://github.com/InBetweenNames/gentooLTO

It works and it's fast but not for the faint of heart. You will have problems, this will break programs.. You also have to build all the steam libraries to use static built system libraries and not the Ubuntu chroot steam ships with.

Phoronix (I know..) has some results on this. https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTI5ODE

It might also be possible to ditch the GNU bloat and use the Musl libc (like Alpine Linux does) but I haven't tried it yet. Both of those vectors tho would be as balls to the wall fast as you can go.

"Only proprietary software vendors want proprietary software." - Dexter's Law

@TorC nice topic but please put more effort into giving your reason for posting. Simply putting it out there is not enough for posting for a good discussion, do your part and engage with why your posting and allow the community to add that discussion. 

This is low effort and not what we like to see.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

@SansVarnic-- yes, I should have asked for gamers' opinions at the end of the original post.  I figured I would get them and did, but I have not done any pc gaming since GTA3, so am not one to form an opinion on the topic.

I'll keep it in mind.

I appreciate the input from gentoo users @jde3 and  @10leej--  It's the first time I've heard gentoo considered the best gaming distro!

Gentoo is more a tinkerers distro than a gaming distro. And it's definitely not for the faint of heart.

But something about spend a week optimizing your kernel config and seeing that system boot a gui faster than the nvidia driver module can load is interesting to see. (/etc/rc.conf parallel startup)

On 4/30/2022 at 9:05 AM, 10leej said:

Gentoo is more a tinkerers distro than a gaming distro. And it's definitely not for the faint of heart.

Some say Garuda is the 'best' for gaming.  What do you think?

Like I mentioned before, any steam game is going to use the Ubuntu chroot shipped in steam. So 90% of all distros would be pretty similar unless you run steam with native libs.. at that point there is a lot more to tweak.

You could try the "less is more" option (gain performance by having your computer do less stuff) like Alpine.

Or you could take the compile time optimized "tight code" path of Gentoo or Clear Linux.

If you just don't want to worry about it and want as little hassle as possible.. use Ubuntu as that is what Steam uses.

"Only proprietary software vendors want proprietary software." - Dexter's Law

On 5/1/2022 at 11:07 AM, TorC said:

Some say Garuda is the 'best' for gaming.  What do you think?

Garuda is only marginal at best at being the "best" they do enable some drivers and packages but usually the things they include are minimal at best compared to other distros. Plus it's an Arch based system, which while popular isn't somehting I would personally recommend. Especially with the recent C toolchain update which did break several packages like WINE

The perfect linux experience for this guy ain't the same as mine, so I'll stick to my perfect linux experience - Arch. 😉

Arch Linux LTS Cinnamon, Core i7-4770, GTX 1660 Ti 6GB, 32GB DDR3-1600 RAM, AsRock B85M Pro4, SSD: Corsair 120LE, Western Digital 500GB, HDD: Western Digital 500GB + 1TB + 4TB.

Yeah -- 'perfect' is a red flag for me, too.  Just looking for opinions and it's good.

4 hours ago, TorC said:

Yeah -- 'perfect' is a red flag for me, too.  Just looking for opinions and it's good.

there is no such thing as "perfect" here, at least not universally.

Really the best approach is literally to distrohop until you find something your fine with, because there's such a variety of options to the point that almost usually the first one just simply and regrettably.... not always the best.