Pc powering on and off in a loop

Luke Jackson
Go to solution Solved by KhakiHat,
18 minutes ago, Luke Jackson said:

So, ive recently moved house. Since moving, my pc has been working fine. Not shutting off or anything. Since I had to change my office space to another room in the house, i've had nothing but trouble with my rig. 

I power it up, then it shuts straight off. Then it enters a loop. Nothing showing on the screen or nothing. Just on, then off, then on, then off again. The only way to stop this is to turn it off by the switch on the PSU. The odd time it'll work for about half an hour, and then enter the loop again. I feel as this may be a PSU issue, but i'm not sure. I want to be certain before I fork out more money soon after moving.

You could try booting it by shorting the boot pins on your motherboard(just to rule out a couple of problems that may be causing a failure to boot).

If this works, it could just be that either your PC case io isn't connected properly or needs to be fixed/replaced(this would probably be the easiest fix).

Do you have fast boot enabled in your bios(Does your bios screen usually pop up before booting into windows?)?

How old is your PSU? Rating? Model?

You could also try booting your PC without your GPU installed to rule out a bad GPU. Since your CPU has integrated graphics, you should be able just to plug into your motherboard for a display.

So, ive recently moved house. Since moving, my pc has been working fine. Not shutting off or anything. Since I had to change my office space to another room in the house, i've had nothing but trouble with my rig. 

I power it up, then it shuts straight off. Then it enters a loop. Nothing showing on the screen or nothing. Just on, then off, then on, then off again. The only way to stop this is to turn it off by the switch on the PSU. The odd time it'll work for about half an hour, and then enter the loop again. I feel as this may be a PSU issue, but i'm not sure. I want to be certain before I fork out more money soon after moving.

Rig (OLD): 

• AMD Piledriver FX-6350 Six Core 3.90GHz Processor
  • 1TB Hard Drive
  • 120GB AFOX SSD
  • 16GB 1600MHz DDR3 RAM
  • NVIDIA GTX 960 2GB DDR5
  • Corsair SPEC-03 Blue LED Gaming PC Case 
  • 450W Power Supply
  • Gigabyte AMD760G Chipset Motherboard

New Rig:

• Intel core I5-6600K 3.5GHz Processor
  • 1TB HDD
  • 240GB Samsung SSD
  • 16GB 2333MHz DDR4 RAM
  • ICHILL Nvidia Geforce 980ti
  • 850W PSU

18 minutes ago, Luke Jackson said:

You could try booting it by shorting the boot pins on your motherboard(just to rule out a couple of problems that may be causing a failure to boot).

If this works, it could just be that either your PC case io isn't connected properly or needs to be fixed/replaced(this would probably be the easiest fix).

Do you have fast boot enabled in your bios(Does your bios screen usually pop up before booting into windows?)?

You could also try booting your PC without your GPU installed to rule out a bad GPU. Since your CPU has integrated graphics, you should be able just to plug into your motherboard for a display.

1 minute ago, KhakiHat said:

You could try booting it by shorting the boot pins on your motherboard(just to rule out a couple of problems that may be causing a failure to boot).\

Ill get onto trying that now and will get back to you

Also, my PSU is a corsair RM850x PSU

Rig (OLD): 

• 1TB Hard Drive
  • 120GB AFOX SSD
  • 16GB 1600MHz DDR3 RAM
  • 450W Power Supply

New Rig:

• 1TB HDD
  • 240GB Samsung SSD
  • 16GB 2333MHz DDR4 RAM
  • 850W PSU

2 minutes ago, Luke Jackson said:

Ill get onto trying that now and will get back to you

Also, my PSU is a corsair RM850x PSU

Unless something drastic has happened to your PSU, I'd guess that your PSU isn't the culprit

5 minutes ago, KhakiHat said:

Unless something drastic has happened to your PSU, I'd guess that your PSU isn't the culprit

Ive disconnected my GPU and managed to boot, anywhere Im able to see if it was that causing the issue besides it booting up?

Rig (OLD): 

• 1TB Hard Drive
  • 120GB AFOX SSD
  • 16GB 1600MHz DDR3 RAM
  • 450W Power Supply

New Rig:

• 1TB HDD
  • 240GB Samsung SSD
  • 16GB 2333MHz DDR4 RAM
  • 850W PSU

3 minutes ago, Luke Jackson said:

Ive disconnected my GPU and managed to boot, anywhere Im able to see if it was that causing the issue besides it booting up?

If your PC managed to boot with the GPU disconnected, it very well could be that your GPU was causing the problem. Although you could try reconnecting the GPU to your PC just to rule out it not being connected all the way, being moved around can maybe create enough momentum for it to wiggle out of place slightly.

When you describe boot, do you mean like booting into your OS or just no longer being in the boot loop?

2 minutes ago, KhakiHat said:

If your PC managed to boot with the GPU disconnected, it very well could be that your GPU was causing the problem. Although you could try reconnecting the GPU to your PC just to rule out it not being connected all the way, being moved around can maybe create enough momentum for it to wiggle out of place slightly.

When you describe boot, do you mean like booting into your OS or just no longer being in the boot loop?

Sorry, should have clarified. It booted normally, straight to OS. Im going to reconnect the GPU and see if it starts working.

Rig (OLD): 

• 1TB Hard Drive
  • 120GB AFOX SSD
  • 16GB 1600MHz DDR3 RAM
  • 450W Power Supply

New Rig:

• 1TB HDD
  • 240GB Samsung SSD
  • 16GB 2333MHz DDR4 RAM
  • 850W PSU

2 hours ago, KhakiHat said:

Its working for now, hopefully it stays that way. thanks for your help mate 🙂

Rig (OLD): 

• 1TB Hard Drive
  • 120GB AFOX SSD
  • 16GB 1600MHz DDR3 RAM
  • 450W Power Supply

New Rig: