Jellyfin for multiple devices on local network no ISP

Tombjz

Hello.

This is my first post here. I've been using jellyfin for a year.

But here is something that i would like to do.

My Grandparents have a small place on the woods that i'm going to visit and i would like to know if there is a way to make a local network to use jellyfin there on different devices at the same time (phones, smart tv) without the need of internet connection (ISP Modem).

What i have is

-Pi 4

-Router Tp link Archer C6

-External HDD

I thought (because i'm a newbie) "I'm going to connect the pi 4 (with the Jellyfin installed) to the TP Link Router (that is working in router Mode), and every device that is connected to the same router (Via Wifi or Lan) is going to access my Pi 4 Jellyfin server"... But this only works if the Router is connected to the ISP modem, once i turn that off, if i try to connect my phone app to my Jellyfin server, it does not work at all.

I also tried to add an Static ip to my Pi 4, but that does not work either, i can access Jellyfin inside the Pi 4 browser but not in any other device.

Can someone point me to the right direction on how to achieve that or this is not possible at all?

If this is not possible, then i will use Kodi connected to a TV (and only the tv), but only if this is not possible.

Thanks to all

12 minutes ago, Tombjz said:

"I'm going to connect the pi 4 (with the Jellyfin installed) to the TP Link Router (that is working in router Mode), and every device that is connected to the same router (Via Wifi or Lan) is going to access my Pi 4 Jellyfin server"

Yes this will work.

12 minutes ago, Tombjz said:

But this only works if the Router is connected to the ISP modem, once i turn that off, if i try to connect my phone app to my Jellyfin server, it does not work at all.

Something isn't right, you don't need an internet connection to talk to local IP addresses.

Maybe setup DNS and DNS forwarder on the Pi and make sure your DHCP settings on the C6 is configured so that it gives the Pi as the DNS server address to all connecting clients. If you cannot set a different DNS server from the C6 itself then disable DHCP on the C6 and also configure DHCP on the Pi.

This shouldn't really be an issue though, Plex for example works fine the way you are trying.

Sadly have never used Jellyfin so can't say if it has something annoying like reliance on internet connection for mobile App.

13 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Yes this will work.

Something isn't right, you don't need an internet connection to talk to local IP addresses.

Maybe setup DNS and DNS forwarder on the Pi and make sure your DHCP settings on the C6 is configured so that it gives the Pi as the DNS server address to all connecting clients. If you cannot set a different DNS server from the C6 itself then disable DHCP on the C6 and also configure DHCP on the Pi.

This shouldn't really be an issue though, Plex for example works fine the way you are trying.

Sadly have never used Jellyfin so can't say if it has something annoying like reliance on internet connection for mobile App.

Thanks for the reply.

There is something weird. When the Router is not connected to the ISP Modem, my Pi4 Ip's switches from 192.X.X.X to 169.X.X.X

I'm not sure how to do the DHCP on Pi, looking for info now though.

Plex and jellyfin are almost the same (i tried both) But a lot of people on forum said that Plex is hard to configure for local network only (tha's why i'm trying Jellyfin)

3 minutes ago, Tombjz said:

There is something weird. When the Router is not connected to the ISP Modem, my Pi4 Ip's switches from 192.X.X.X to 169.X.X.X

Are you sure the C6 is actually in router mode? Sounds to me like the ISP modem is the device that is running your DHCP and DNS and that is why you have problems when disconnecting it. Check in your C6 web configuration interface if DHCP server is enabled or not (do not turn it on if it's not, not yet)

3 minutes ago, Tombjz said:

Plex and jellyfin are almost the same (i tried both) But a lot of people on forum said that Plex is hard to configure for local network only (tha's why i'm trying Jellyfin)

Not had problems myself, "just works" 🤷‍♂️

Your mileage my vary of course.

3 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Are you sure the C6 is actually in router mode? Sounds to me like the ISP modem is the device that is running your DHCP and DNS and that is why you have problems when disconnecting it. Check in your C6 web configuration interface if DHCP server is enabled or not (do not turn it on if it's not, not yet)

Yes, 100% sure

DHCP is Enable too

I can see my clients names, mac address, Devices Ip's

Screenshot from 2022-04-25 23-23-34.png

15 minutes ago, Tombjz said:

Yes, 100% sure

DHCP is Enable too

I can see my clients names, mac address, Devices Ip's

Hmm well getting a 169.x address means DHCP on the client failed to get an IP address