best video editing software?

so yeah, i'm looking for the best free video editing software there is, I've used camtasia studio 7 before and that wasn't bad, but i'm wondering if any of you guys have a better suggestion. i'd like it to be simple, though i wouldn't mind learning the functions and how the software works. i don't mind that at all.

thanks again,

Sean.

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

Hitfilm 2.0 was good while it was free, I don't really know of many half decent free ones I don't think...

"Best" is subjective to what you're doing with the software. What do you need to edit? Do you need to apply cinema-like effects to 4K videos, or just move some clips and crossfade them? If you only need to edit a few things, you can download a free trial of something such as Sony Vegas, or you can just use Windows Movie Maker.

Spoiler

Piracy is the best way to get free stuff so there. Not going to share links here because mods wouldn't be happy about that. Free trials work good as well along with WMM.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

"Best" is subjective to what you're doing with the software. What do you need to edit? Do you need to apply cinema-like effects to 4K videos, or just move some clips and crossfade them? If you only need to edit a few things, you can download a free trial of something such as Sony Vegas, or you can just use Windows Movie Maker.

just to edit recorded videos on games, and editing videos that i've taken with my dslr. that's about it :/

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

just to edit recorded videos on games, and editing videos that i've taken with my dslr. that's about it :/

Windows Movie Maker is most likely sufficient in that case.

Spoiler

Lightworks!

http://www.lwks.com/

It's free.

If you are gonna go "pirate" then Sony Vegas.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

Some say Vegas, some say Premiere Pro and others Final Cut. I've used Vegas and Premiere, Vegas is not too well programmed and Premiere is really expensive but can do a lot of stuff.

Your best bet is to test some of the programs out before buying anything (or pirating it).

144Hz goodness

You can trial Adobe Premiere Pro for free for 30 days, I'd recommend trying that and seeing how you get on with it.

It all depends on what your requirements are, chances are if it's good it costs money.

I'm sorry but Windows Movie Maker is free and not that bad.

OMG its that bad.