External NVME vs Internal + Enclosure

Filingo

External NVME are just NVMEs with USB enclosure right? Then if I'm planning on buying one, would that be better buying an internal with an enclosure?

Because the Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB has been going on a sale in the past week for $160

And regarding the enclosure: Right now the fastest is USB 3.2 so it means both internal and external will be capped at this max speed of USB 3.2 (So there is basically no advantages for external ones over internal + enclosure or is there?)

Ty

What you're referring to is called shucking. People shuck external drives all the time to get the internal drive out of it. I can't guarantee that an NVME with M.2 interface is gonna be in there though. Based upon most drives however containing a SATA disk, I would say your chances of there being a real M.2 SSD in there is likely. If someone here can't confirm, check over on https://reddit.com/r/datahoarder/ and see if they have any insight. They like to shuck a lot of drives.

"Although there's a problem on the horizon; there's no horizon." - K-2SO

1 minute ago, dj_ripcord said:

What you're referring to is called shucking. People shuck external drives all the time to get the internal drive out of it. I can't guarantee that an NVME with M.2 interface is gonna be in there though. Based upon most drives however containing a SATA disk, I would say your chances of there being a real M.2 SSD in there is likely. If someone here can't confirm, check over on https://reddit.com/r/datahoarder/ and see if they have any insight. They like to shuck a lot of drives.

Yes but I want to do the opposite: unshuck my internal nvme 😄

I wanna buy internal and put it in an enclosure instead of buying readily purchased external one (the ones with the built-in enclosure)

And I wonder if there is any disadvantage to doing that? 

1 minute ago, Filingo said:

Yes but I want to do the opposite: unshuck my internal nvme 😄

I wanna buy internal and put it in an enclosure instead of buying readily purchased external one (the ones with the built-in enclosure)

OH my mistake.

Well yeah, then as long as you get a m.2 external enclosure then you're fine! You're correct though, there is no advantage to having an external NVME. You will be limited by the speed of USB 3.2. I would say the only real advantage is that it's now portable.

"Although there's a problem on the horizon; there's no horizon." - K-2SO

Yes you can just buy a nvme to usb enclosure.

It will work just as good, the difference probably no warranty and better build quality.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

9 minutes ago, dj_ripcord said:

OH my mistake.

Well yeah, then as long as you get a m.2 external enclosure then you're fine! You're correct though, there is no advantage to having an external NVME. You will be limited by the speed of USB 3.2. I would say the only real advantage is that it's now portable.

btw I edited the post, at first I had a mistake I wrote somewhere "external" instead of "internal" maybe that's what confused you

Thank you!

6 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

Yes you can just buy a nvme to usb enclosure.

It will work just as good, the difference probably no warranty and better build quality.

thanks!

But that would be hard to find a 2TB external one at the level of 970 Evo Plus for $180 right? (Including the enclosure cost)

Because where I live, the 2TB 970 Evo Plus cost $350 right now

1 minute ago, Filingo said:

But that would be hard to find a 2TB external one at the level of 970 Evo Plus for $180 right? (Including the enclosure cost)

do you need 970 performance for external storage? any lower end nvme should give you around 1-2 gb/s (8-16 gbps). which is more than the bandwidth of usb 3.2 (5-10gbps).

970 should perform around 3.5gb/s (28gbps), you will need thunderbolt enclosure (40gbps), which probably cost more than the drive itself.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

2 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

do you need 970 performance for external storage? any lower end nvme should give you around 1-2 gb/s (8-16 gbps). which is more than the bandwidth of usb 3.2 (5-10gbps).

970 should perform around 3.5gb/s (28gbps), you will need thunderbolt enclosure (40gbps), which probably cost more than the drive itself.

Or just use a cheap USB 3.2 enclosure and use it as internal whenever needed ? 😄 and get the nice TBW of the 970 Evo Plus

ALTHOUGH! My 970 Evo (non plus) died on me 1 month after I started using it so I stopped trusting Samsung as I did before.. but well I guess it happens to everyone at one point

You can ask for warranty if only 1 month.

If you wanna use it as internal, i recommend getting a pcie-nvme adapter instead.

ssd can fail at anytime without any reason (i too have a dead samsung ssd), so using it as a usb drive can up the risk.

so i suggest having the new 970 as your boot drive and the old one as the external.

9 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

You can ask for warranty if only 1 month.

If you wanna use it as internal, i recommend getting a pcie-nvme adapter instead.

ssd can fail at anytime without any reason (i too have a dead samsung ssd), so using it as a usb drive can up the risk.

so i suggest having the new 970 as your boot drive and the old one as the external.

It was long time ago, Amazon actually accepted a return even though it was slightly passed the return window 😄 Got a new replacement