Could I Build A Rack Mount Gaming PC w/ a 3080 In This Space?

WarmEngine

Hello Everyone, I'm looking to do my 1st build soon.  My experience up until now has just been upgrading existing PC's we had built for us or bought already done with newer parts.  That said, this might be a bit bold of a project for a first time builder which if that's the case I'm open to hearing that.

As you can see below I don't have room for a MicroATX or ATX case to sit on the desk.  I don't want to place one on the floor either since I both have carpet and cats.  This made me think of pulling old unused gear out of the rack spaces and doing some sort of rack mount PC build.  I know these exist of course but don't know of anyone running a gaming rig with say a 3080 or 3090 in one.  Cooling and Room are the first two things that come to mind.

Are there any cases that this would be easy doable with that don't require a lot of modifications too before using them for such a use?  I know people have transformed server rack cases into PC cases but the videos I've seen show a lot of modifications so the ATX motherboards will fit into the cases properly and everything fits.  I'd want something pretty turnkey if possible.  

Desk2.jpg

RackMount2.jpg

RackMount1.jpg

I recently bought a rackmount PC for a radio studio. even with it's lowly specs of a 10400 and no dedicated gpu, i'd still find it unlikely to fit in there.

The only computer I could really think that would fit there and give you that performance is a mac studio but they're not cheap and i doubt you'll want to go OSX.

So i doubt you'll find something that small but you could always try building a compact miniITX build. Some might be small enough to fit in there!

Or if you're crazy, you could 3d model something and send it to someone like protocase if you have more brass than sense.

GL with the build!

2 minutes ago, Hewie said:

I recently bought a rackmount PC for a radio studio. even with it's lowly specs of a 10400 and no dedicated gpu, i'd still find it unlikely to fit in there.

The only computer I could really think that would fit there and give you that performance is a mac studio but they're not cheap and i doubt you'll want to go OSX.

So i doubt you'll find something that small but you could always try building a compact miniITX build. Some might be small enough to fit in there!

Or if you're crazy, you could 3d model something and send it to someone like protocase if you have more brass than sense.

GL with the build!

MiniITX is definitely an idea too.  It doesn't need to use those rack spaces but ideally would use that space since it's where i have free real estate.  I haven't researched many of the MiniITX cases yet.  I know Linus and others have done videos on some of them and shown they will fit a 3080 on occasion (although very cramped).  Definitely an idea.

I'm assuming putting a tower on the floor (even with something between the carpet and it) isn't a good idea right?

28 minutes ago, WarmEngine said:

I'm assuming putting a tower on the floor (even with something between the carpet and it) isn't a good idea right?

Lots of people set towers on the floor. The problem with setting them on the floor, particularly carpet is they are more likely suck up stuff like pet hair. Also if placed directly on carpet you can block off things like PSU fans, or other bottom mounted fans.  Basically as you said, place it on top of something, a small shelf or board so it's not directly on the carpet and you'll be fine.

That looks to be about 2U of space. Yeah you could probably fit a chassis that could fit a 3080 in it, but in order for it to stay cool it'll probably need some very high RPM fans if you wish it to stay air cooled, or you'll need to water cool it (which for a more first time builder would be a bit of a challenge).

Basically, you're better off just getting a board and setting the PC on that, or just building a SFF system with a 3080 in it.

What about a wall mount?  Doesn’t even have to be pretty.  Put it behind the desk.EC087A26-17D0-4C3D-A614-F6FDEE4A8536.jpeg.298a1293def4adbe864ceec6e595c269.jpeg

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

What about going old school desktop and build a Mid tower then lay it on its side so you can plant your monitor on top of that? That would make the build simpler and cheaper especially sense you would be looking for a cheaper case that doesn't have a window on the side.

"The Codex Electronica does not support this overclock."

So, the first question:
How deep is that rack space, and what weight is it rated for?

Most audio equipment doesn't weigh as much as a full PC does.