What happened to the 2230 2TB Micron SSD that Linus reccomended for Steam Deck Upgrades?

Invanaar

In one of his Steam Deck videos he mentioned that Micron announced a new product in January that could be nice for storage upgrades for the Steam Deck. It was the Micron 2400 2TB 2230 SSD I believe. There were a bunch of articles in January about it, but I don't see anything else about it. I can't find that product, or any other 2230 SSD above 1TB. I'm just confused about what this device is, is it not a product being offered to the public? Is it just unreleased? Should we expect it to be available by the end of the year?

What happened to it?

49 minutes ago, Invanaar said:

In one of his Steam Deck videos he mentioned that Micron announced a new product in January that could be nice for storage upgrades for the Steam Deck. It was the Micron 2400 2TB 2230 SSD I believe. There were a bunch of articles in January about it, but I don't see anything else about it. I can't find that product, or any other 2230 SSD above 1TB. I'm just confused about what this device is, is it not a product being offered to the public? Is it just unreleased? Should we expect it to be available by the end of the year?

What happened to it?

I don’t know about that one, but a guy I know was talking about a 2tb pcie 4.0 nvme he saw for $190 at microcenter that looked pretty good. It wasn’t super fast for a pcie 4.0, but it had massive endurance and a 6 year warranty. Stuff that works might be pretty common now

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

One thing I'd LOVE to see from the steamdeck would be SSD caching of microSD cards. Think sectioning off around 10-20% of the SSD to copy blocks from the SD card.

3900x | 32GB RAM | RTX 2080

1.5TB Optane P4800X | 2TB Micron 1100 SSD | 16TB NAS w/ 10Gbe
QN90A | Polk R200, ELAC OW4.2, PB12-NSD, SB1000, HD800

Didn't Micron leave the consumer electronics business to focus on server side? So unless this is a server product, you would need to wait for someone else to make something similar.

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

9 minutes ago, cmndr said:

One thing I'd LOVE to see from the steamdeck would be SSD caching of microSD cards. Think sectioning off around 10-20% of the SSD to copy blocks from the SD card.

Aren’t sd cards slower than SSDs though?  Why have a cache that is slower than main memory?

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

-> Moved to Storage Devices

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

55 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Aren’t sd cards slower than SSDs though?  Why have a cache that is slower than main memory?

I think you swapped the direction of my statement.

SSD caching of microSD cards would be blocks from the SD card being cached on the SSD, to mitigate mediocre microSD performance.

23 minutes ago, cmndr said:

I think you swapped the direction of my statement.

SSD caching of microSD cards would be blocks from the SD card being cached on the SSD, to mitigate mediocre microSD performance.

Ahhh.  Might be a “can’t get there from here” kinda problem.  It would depend on connections and things internal to the design which I know nothing about, but I could see it possibly working.  They may have tried it and found issues, or they may not have tried it at all.

12 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Ahhh.  Might be a “can’t get there from here” kinda problem.  It would depend on connections and things internal to the design which I know nothing about, but I could see it possibly working.  They may have tried it and found issues, or they may not have tried it at all.

It's linux... you COULD make it work. The tech exists with ZFS already, it's just unlikely to be fine tuned for this use case and Steam is a bit quirky with ZFS. Also RAM overhead is a thing...

You'd probably want it to error on the side of NOT using tons of space. Think metadata caching.

24 minutes ago, cmndr said:

It's linux... you COULD make it work. The tech exists with ZFS already, it's just unlikely to be fine tuned for this use case and Steam is a bit quirky with ZFS. Also RAM overhead is a thing...

You'd probably want it to error on the side of NOT using tons of space. Think metadata caching.

I’m talking hardware not software.  With cache you have to worry about things like information path and wait states and such.  It could be good, it could be worthless.

5 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

I don’t know about that one, but a guy I know was talking about a 2tb pcie 4.0 nvme he saw for $190 at microcenter that looked pretty good. It wasn’t super fast for a pcie 4.0, but it had massive endurance and a 6 year warranty. Stuff that works might be pretty common now

There are definitely plenty of good 2tb PCIe 4.0 drives, but the Steam Deck only takes 2230 size. Thats why this would've been really nice. Correct me if I'm wrong though, I just haven't seen any NVMe's on the market that are 2230 size AND above 1tb

11 minutes ago, Invanaar said:

There are definitely plenty of good 2tb PCIe 4.0 drives, but the Steam Deck only takes 2230 size. Thats why this would've been really nice. Correct me if I'm wrong though, I just haven't seen any NVMe's on the market that are 2230 size AND above 1tb

Dunno.  I’m not in the market

• 3 months later...

We'll, I guess you saw the latest video? It seems to be still in prototype mode..

• 3 weeks later...

Is it me, or can you not find anything 2230 and above half a terabyte in the American market?

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/25/2022 at 7:07 PM, Klaasvdb said:

We'll, I guess you saw the latest video? It seems to be still in prototype mode..

I heard him talk about it in one of his original Steam deck reviews. I was excited to get one and try it out with that much storage.
Ironically at this point I'm probably gonna spring on the Ayaneo Next 2 or Air Pro, at least you can get those sometime this decade.

I'll have to watch that video though at least, thanks!

On 8/12/2022 at 2:35 AM, BluJay614 said:

Is it me, or can you not find anything 2230 and above half a terabyte in the American market?

Yea thats what I noticed as well, So few options.

• 1 month later...

Found it. Unavailable as of right now.

2TB M.2 2230 NVMe PCIe SSD Gen 4.0x4, 4500MB/s Read, 4000 MB/s Write (Upgrade for Steam Deck, Surface Pro 7+, Surface Pro 8, Surface Laptop 4) https://a.co/d/jh8YAd3

I was able to get one of the last 3 chips from that Amazon store (2TB M.2 2230 NVMe PCIe SSD).  It arrived last week and I installed it in a Dell Latitude 9420.  That laptop only supports a 30mm SSD and I need the space for virtual machine mobile disaster recovery.  The Micron 2TB was my only option.  Had to pay over $600 for it, but it's the only game in town, so well worth it. I looked everywhere for this SSD, and I mean everywhere!  That Amazon store was the only place I've ever seen them.  Rumors have Micron stopping production of the 2230, but I can't confirm that either.  Maybe they're just caught up in the same supply chain hell everyone else is experiencing.

Hope you can locate another one, but expect to pay top dollar.  I'll keep my eyes open.  If I run across any, I'll post it here.  Cheers!